Builder asking for too much money upfront for extension and shed builds

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I can't be bothered to edit my phone typos. Sorry :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Hi Doozergirl, I have been speaking to Bob pretty much every other week since April. He has been around twice also; once to look at the job in its infancy and then when drawings were prepared by the architect. I spoke to Bob a few days ago and told him that the council had rejected part of my plans and I will have to revise the drawings and resubmit, and he said he is taking on another job now for 2 months which will give me enough time to get my documentation in order till then. I am still looking for new builders as we speak but due to it being summer time, they are rarely available. I think with the rejection of my plans, I will inevitably have to delay my works till next summer :-( Which in fact may not be such a bad thing because it will allow me to find another builder and save more money in the process.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Hi Doozergirl, I have been speaking to Bob pretty much every other week since April. He has been around twice also; once to look at the job in its infancy and then when drawings were prepared by the architect. I spoke to Bob a few days ago and told him that the council had rejected part of my plans and I will have to revise the drawings and resubmit, and he said he is taking on another job now for 2 months which will give me enough time to get my documentation in order till then. I am still looking for new builders as we speak but due to it being summer time, they are rarely available. I think with the rejection of my plans, I will inevitably have to delay my works till next summer :-( Which in fact may not be such a bad thing because it will allow me to find another builder and save more money in the process.

So you were getting quotes based on your Planning application drawings which hadn't even been approved?

I'm starting to understand why the builder was asking for such a large deposit now.
  • My plans don't need approval per se, because my build is within permitted development, but apparently you can't extend at the back of an existing extension (something my architect should have known) so the drawing will be revised by removing the bathroom I had envisaged to be built behind the kitchen. So the prices will be pretty correct regardless. But either way I think it still doesn't justify the ridiculous upfront payment of 13.5k.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    My plans don't need approval per se, because my build is within permitted development, but apparently you can't extend at the back of an existing extension (something my architect should have known)

You can extend the rear of an existing side extension, it just doesn't fall withing the permitted development rules - If you wanted the bathroom, you'd need to submit a complete planning application and your architect should be able to advise on the process.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • @freebear

Yes you are correct, it's a shame I didn't know this before. My architect is a retired 67 year old fella who really should have known this and not stuck that bathroom build behind the kitchen and on a permitted development application. I have emailed him and been pretty blunt and asked why he didn't know about this and what the next steps are to be. I will not pay him an excessive amount extra when more work on the drawings needs to be done.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I think you need to check the credentials of the people that you hire as carefully as possible.

Any of us can get the PD rules and planning guidance for any local authority online. Being 67 isn't an excuse.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    @freebear

Yes you are correct, it's a shame I didn't know this before. My architect is a retired 67 year old fella who really should have known this and not stuck that bathroom build behind the kitchen and on a permitted development application. I have emailed him and been pretty blunt and asked why he didn't know about this and what the next steps are to be. I will not pay him an excessive amount extra when more work on the drawings needs to be done.

Was he cheap by any chance?!
    Is he actually still registered as an architect with the ARB?
    tbh it's not that surprising that a retired guy doesn't know the up to date pd rules, but you'd expect them to check if they were supposed to be designing within pd!
    (I've just been handed planning drawings prepared by a "retired family friend" needless to say they are miles off current regs)
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    @freebear

There is no such thing as a "permitted development application" that is the whole point, you don't need an application. Was it a lawful Development Certificate by any chance?

But what you described is a very basic error so it calls your "architect's" competency into question.

The point I tried to make earlier was maybe the builder picked up on something that made him cautious about you commitment and ability to actually proceed with the project. It would be rather unfortunate if the builder scheduled the time to build your extension and turned away other work only for you to cancel it at the last minute because your "architect" is a numpty. That leaves the builder with a 2 month hole in his income, hence the hefty deposit.
  • @teneighty
    The builder and I have not committed to anything concrete. This is a non-committal agreement and I have told him to go ahead and work as he wishes in the interim. My obligation is to keep him updated of proceedings only.

And yes it is a lawful Development Certificate, I just refer to it as a PD application in layman's terms.

@the_r_sole
    I have just checked the ARB website and lo and behold he isn't even registered on there! I don't know what I will do with him now...Grrr!

To conclude, it feels like I will have to start the whole bl00dy process again if this "architect" can't rectify the work. I emailed him on Sunday and he is yet to reply.

Thanks again all for your continued help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure