PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Any Renters Feeling the Pinch following Tax Change?

Options
I've spoken to a few people renting in the private sector who have incurred a rental increase due to the new tax laws for private landlords?

Have many on here been affected and will this new tax law continue if it's impeding both parties so negatively?

Comments

• Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cotta wrote: »
    I've spoken to a few people renting in the private sector who have incurred a rental increase due to the new tax laws for private landlords?

Have many on here been affected and will this new tax law continue if it's impeding both parties so negatively?

How funny, I just finished a post about this very matter.

Yes I have written to my tenants over last 18 months specifically citing tax increases and why rents are going up. In the end as some try to argue, Govt spending is never free in the way Corbyn implies, the rises filter through to the market.

Before some virtue signaller gets on my case, just pause a moment, you may not be a Landlord but if you have a pension or ISA, the fund mangers that own the corporations you all want to tax more, do the dirty work of profit maximisation on your behalf and so if anything you're less moral than me, at least I deal with my own dirty work (property is my pension)
  • itchyfeet123
    itchyfeet123 Posts: 480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm surprised many landlords are willing to try it right now with headlines about downward movement in rents.

For context, I'm living in London zone 2, and I've been in my current place for just over 18 months. Zone 2 not withstanding, it's a pretty undesirable location, tiny, has a few minor annoyances related to the layout. When I first viewed, I considered it a bargain for the price -- everywhere else I'd looked was either a sh*thole, at least £200 more, noticeably further out, or a combination of all three. I've been checking Rightmove lately, and there are now places listed for +/- £100, which would be huge improvements on my current place in either location, size, or "niceness". I'm probably not going to move just because, but if my rent increased I almost certainly would.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    I'm surprised many landlords are willing to try it right now with headlines about downward movement in rents.

For context, I'm living in London zone 2, and I've been in my current place for just over 18 months. Zone 2 not withstanding, it's a pretty undesirable location, tiny, has a few minor annoyances related to the layout. When I first viewed, I considered it a bargain for the price -- everywhere else I'd looked was either a sh*thole, at least £200 more, noticeably further out, or a combination of all three. I've been checking Rightmove lately, and there are now places listed for +/- £100, which would be huge improvements on my current place in either location, size, or "niceness". I'm probably not going to move just because, but if my rent increased I almost certainly would.

I suppose from a LL's perspective where do they go? Their profits are going to be wiped out with the new tax rule.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,601 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many landlords seem to think they can put up rent. Funnily enough they didn't drop rents when interest rates dropped like a stone.
  • itchyfeet123
    itchyfeet123 Posts: 480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cotta wrote: »
    I suppose from a LL's perspective where do they go? Their profits are going to be wiped out with the new tax rule.

It's not as though most tenants have anywhere to go themselves. Amongst my friends, 50% of income on rent is pretty common. We've been hearing for a long time that that's just the way the market is. I wonder if the market will still be considered an amoral arbiter if rents drop meaningfully.

Besides, changes in the tax policy didn't come out of the blue. LL's have had plenty of time to run the numbers and see if it's still worth their while, and to get out if not.
  • dlmcr
    dlmcr Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in Nottingham. Nice area, good school catchment. Compared to about a year ago, prices to buy are up surprise surprise, rents are down considerably, and in a lot of cases they don't shift at those rental asking prices and have to be reduced. Yields are nonsense eg an ok detached is 200k to buy, virtually identical is rental 690 pcm, where is the sense in that for a landlord never mind any new taxes etc? I keep an eye on these as I like to see what state my local market is like and it is noticeable the lack of demand for rentals here.
    Personally I don't buy this argument that nex taxes etc will force up rents: rents are not like prices to buy in that a) they are to a degree set by LHA, b) landlords that bought years ago (the majority) are not bothered anyway about a few % here or there since their yield % is so high and c) leading on there (in my area anyway) good supply of good rental properties so plenty to choose from. d) why would you risk losing a good tenant over the obsession with maintaining your yield %?
  • LdnFtB
    LdnFtB Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Quite the contrary to be honest, rents in my part of the world (London Zone 2) are only heading downwards at the moment. If my landlord were to try raising rents I'd look elsewhere - the only thing stopping me at the moment is the hassle and the letting agency fees.

Remember there are a great deal of landlords who own outright or whose tax status won't be affected by the removal of mortgage interest relief. It's only a relatively small proportion of landlords - the treasury estimated 1/5 - who will be affected by the loss of their tax advantages.
  • bob_bank_spanker
    Options
    As some have alluded - it is the market that dictates prices, not Landlords. The market in London is headed down. How on earth would you increase prices?

If all these LLs could arbitrarily increase prices, why haven't they done so sooner?
  • noddynoo
    noddynoo Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our landlord sent a surveyor round Monday to do a valuation for a remortgage and the surveyor said the market is falling everywhere and he advises people to make offers so think prices are bout to head south finally
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure