"Purely Creative" magazine scratch card. How to claim

ButtonF1Fan
ButtonF1Fan Posts: 1,234 Forumite
First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 4 February 2013 at 8:52PM in Freebies (low spend)
UPDATE, I didnt realise this thread was still running. As before I advise caution and NEVER EVER phoning the phone numbers or texting. Email seems best option (if its a hotmail type account rather than your main account).

when this thread was started these cards were still winable, by doing what i advised below. My advice now is don't touch with a bargepole!!!

If the £10 is no longer a prize i wouldnt bother, but i havent personally seen a card in about a year now. Sorry guys.

My sister regularly claims £10 (£8 to £9 if you consider the postage costs)per card that falls out of the mags. She sent me a letter explaining how to claim, and I'm going to write what she wrote to me. Never ever phone the expensive phone/text claim numbers agian.

I hope someone finds this helpful. There is another post about these cards, but its mostly about comparing who found what symbols rather than cheap claiming. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=234517

Anyway, here we go....
REMEMBER the most important thing is to read each cards small print, front and back twice just so you know what they want, the dept numbers and addresses

Newspaper scratch cards - top tips
1. Whats my prize?
So you've got 3 matching sybols (of course!), it says you might have won a million, a hundred thousand, twenty thousand... blah blah blah! Look at the small print, usually on the front. It will say quantities, only 1 or 2 big prizes, at the end of the list of prizes it will say "£10 x 5000+" that means most people win a tenner, assume thats all you've got.

2. I've won a holiday!! Wow!
don't bother. When it says "holiday in Switzerland 5000+" it probably means that the holiday is a coach trip, starting in switzerland, pay to get there yourself. Upgrades available, most likely for whacking fees. Also on the small print on the back states £75 per person deposit. Be careful. If you win a holiday or non cash prize above the minimum prize, its real.

3. Get a claim number.
Most of these cards are printed by purely creative ltd, they must, by law, have an address to write to for a claim number. It will be similar to "Dept PCN 54XXX". That number relates to the card design, as they do several cards. Write the following letters... (post 2)

4. Stop the junk mail.
Also always write to thier anti-junk deparment, also in the small print on the back. (See the letters My sister uses and copy them, they work for her) Otherwise you will get several tonnes of spam. (her words)

5. And this cost me?
2 sheets of paper (or 1 if printing carefully)
3 envolopes,
3 stamps.
I'd say about £1.50

6. Pitfalls and avoiding 'em
*Get thier name and "Dept" number EXACT. Do not be tempted to write deparement, its dept etc.
*Always cross reference the claim to the no junk letter, as in her examples.
*If you do more than one type of card (you can only claim each type of card once!) write on the back of the sae the dept number you sent it to. This is so You know what card this relates to by the time it finally turns up. They get people that way
*your claim number will take years to arrives, as will the prize cheque.
*stick a post it note to your card to make it easy when the sae comes back. Write its dept number clearly on it, and keep all your cards in the same place whilst waiting for your claims

7. I got my claim number! yay
Ace. Never add your email addy or phone number to the claim form, You might not have one afterall :A Purelly always want a loose stamp, don't forget this. Thier claims address might have changed, check you write it exactly as you are told by them, don't get it wrong

8. was it worf it??
You have used in total
2 sheets of paper
4 envolopes
3 second class stamps
1 first class stamp
and a post it note.
Lets say £2.00 max.... so thats £8.00 profit against 30 mins actual effort, but a long wait

It might seem complex, but whehn you get into the habit its so easy its untrue. Its only complicated becoz you are closing down the spam mail options, but its worth it

PS, if you are really anti junk, write a no junk letter again and bung it in with your claim.
Julie

Comments

• ButtonF1Fan
    edited 5 February 2010 at 12:36PM
    Anything highlighted BOLD change to your own info. Use your initial, not first name, you can bank a cheque to your initial :) Don't sign your name, print it. This is just a bit of safety she suggestted.

Dept PCN M54XX
    A Bloggs
    My street,
    My town
    my postcode
    Day, date, month, year.
    Dear Sir/madam,
    Please send me a claim number for the "millon cash card" game, I have matched 3 Apple symbols. I have enclosed a SAE.
    For your information, I have also written to your "Dept DRD" today to opt out of all future offers from yourself and other companies.

Yours truly,
    miss A Bloggs
    Julie
  • ButtonF1Fan
    A Bloggs
    Address
    Date

Dear Sir / Madam,

I have written today to your Dept AS ABOVE! for a claim number.
    I do not want my details to be passed onto any outside organisations. I do not want to recieve any offers, info or other marketing material from you or any company connected to you.

I would like to only be contacted about my claim.

Yours Truly,

Miss A Bloggs
    Julie
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    thanks for the info
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Good stuff, thank you. :)

I'll bookmark this in case I come across any.
    This is my opinion. There are many others like it but this is mine
    :kisses2: Fiancee of the "lovely" DaveAshton :kisses2:
    I am a professional ebay seller. I work hard at my job, I love my job, if you think it's silly that's your problem not mine. :p
  • ButtonF1Fan
    TurkishDelight, top tip... womble! :) when you go to pick up a newspaper in asda,sainsburies ect i bet there is one on the floor!
    Julie
  • durham_girl
    durham_girl Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    I might give this a go, cheers!
    :j30/7/10:j

:j24/1/14 :j
  • Saetana
    Saetana Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good post, I've read those scratchcards before and it SEEMED there was a way to collect without spending untold amounts on phone calls but my husband said if something sounds too good to be true it generally is. Apparently not quite too good to be true, just so complicated few will bother, although I did point out that these cards have to conform to certain regulations so the game must be genuine. I may have a go next time I get one, I don't have a major problem with junk mail - it just gets recycled without being read - but not giving email address is a good idea (I never give my phone number after making a mistake with that once and getting half a dozen cold calls within the space of a week!) as I get enough marketing email as it is.

I'll second the warning about holiday wins though - there is always a catch with these that involves you paying more than anyone with any sense would pay for a so-called "free" holiday.
    2020 Wins:
  • Nice one, I knew I shouldn't just be throwing them scratch cards in the bin. :D
    You never know how strong you are until you have no other option.
  • Thanks for posting. Just to confirm the claim nos do take ages. I sent for one before Christmas. The info said I would receive a number with in 28days. More like 2 1/2 months! By which time I had thrown out the card, which I expect is the intention of the delay.
    PayPal £247.62 Amazon £495.80 cheque £62.41 Love2Shop £90 Bank Transfer £190 Nectar points £55.00 eMasterCard £600
    From:- Swagbucks, Valued Opinions, inbox pounds, Quidco, Royal Mail survey,YouGov, e-rewards,IPOS I-Say, Insite Consulting, Toluna UK, People for research :T
  • Thanks for posting. Just to confirm the claim nos do take ages. I sent for one before Christmas. The info said I would receive a number with in 28days. More like 2 1/2 months! By which time I had thrown out the card, which I expect is the intention of the delay.

And its for that reason i put them on my peg board. :)
    Julie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport