PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    donnajt wrote: »
    Soworried can u share recipe please.

Weigh out the yoghurt, add in twice the weight of SR flour.

Then add anything you like, we use dried mixed herbs and garlic flakes.
    Add water to make a dough consistency.
    Separate in to bits around a pool ball size and roll out.

Dry fry in a hot frying pan until it just bubbles. Then freeze when cool.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recipe for pea and ham soup (no pressure cooker, but a slow cooker) using pork rib rather than ham hock?

I've got some rib in the freezer and I'd swear my nan always used to do it that way, but I can only find recipes for bacon or hock online.

Thankies in advance.

Is it a smoked pork rib known ? http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=bacon+ribs&newSort=true&search=Search That was maybe what you are remembering your nan using if not I'm sure the pork rib would make a decent enough soup but probably not the pea and ham you remember.
    Bacon Pea or Lentil soup:- (3.5 l slow cooker)
    500-600g smoked bacon ribs
    250-300g green split or marrowfat or yellow split peas soaked overnight or red lentils
    1 medium onion
    2 largish carrots
    2 stalks celery
    2 medium peeled potatoes (floury type is best)
    1 small leek
    bay leaf
    1 tsp black pepper
    tablespoon fresh chopped parley
    Chop veg to a smallish dice and add with all other ingredients to SC. Add water until 3/4 full. High 2 hours then low for 4-5 or low only for 8-9 hours. Remove ribs and bayleaf, blitz a bit but leave some texture. Shred meat from ribs stir through soup check if it needs salt and more pepper. Add parsley just before serving
    Bacon ribs can be replaced with a ham hock or stock from cooking a gammon joint. Half a pack of cooking bacon also works well
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry, the link doesn't seem to work for me.

It looks a bit like this:

IDShot_540x540.jpg

But they're from the butcher and he called them 'spare ribs' - mostly in 3 or 4 inch chunks but look like there's plenty of meat. Don't think they're smoked.

I'll give that a go next week with your recipe - I've got most of the bits in (no celery or leek), and it won't be the same anyway as she used a pressure cooker (they scare me a bit).

Thank you kindly.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

IDShot_540x540.jpg

But they're from the butcher and he called them 'spare ribs' - mostly in 3 or 4 inch chunks but look like there's plenty of meat. Don't think they're smoked.

I'll give that a go next week with your recipe - I've got most of the bits in (no celery or leek), and it won't be the same anyway as she used a pressure cooker (they scare me a bit).

Thank you kindly.
    Sorry my link didn't work - yes these are different more I usually use them for BBQ or chinese style ribs. They won't give your soup the taste you were looking for and might make it a wee bit greasy but you could always cool overnight and take the fat off the next day. If you had any bacon or leftover gammon I'd be inclined to use that our make a veggie version with veggie stock. The veg element is very flexible but does need onion and carrot but otherwise swede or parsnip is also good. Whatever you decide it should make a tasty, thick plateful. Using a pressure cooker (or not) shouldn't really make any difference if it gets a long cook in a pan or slow cooker
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 January 2017 at 5:20PM
    Options

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Thank you kindly.
    My mother in law boils them and cooks cabbage and potatoes in the liquid, it looks a lot like soup when she serves it up. Not sure what it tastes like, but there's a lot of brown sauce goes on it when it is being eaten, maybe thats a hint.
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Options
    Out of the freezer today

1 Stuffed Turkey breast
    9 roast potatoes
    8 chestnut stuffing balls
    1 chicken breast
    Butternut squash soup x1
    1/2 bag of Quinoi
    125gm quorn mince
    3 portions stuffed turkey breast
    sprouts
    cauliflower
    cabbage

Back in 6 slices of cooked stuffed turkey breast
    14 portions of cooked ham

I am making 4 dinners 2 for hubby and 2 for a church friend who does not cook.

I like the idea of plain yoghurt that we flavour as I also suffer from sugar/sugar substitue makes me ill.So once my supply of Alpro soya yoghurts are finished I shall flavour my own:-)
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Last tin of beans gone cooked the turkey. Will be making a pie tomorrow from the leftovers. First attempt at making my own puff pastry, unless I wimp out and go shortcrust.
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Plodding on.

Pork loin(f) w mushroom and mustard sauce for dinner, leftover veg from yesterday. No new leftovers.

Still a smidgen of s/Salmon left, but other than that all gone to plan today.

Tonight from freezer - 1 sausage roll (dh lunch), 1 x S/S and broccoli quiche.

B - Porridge w last pear
    L - Quiche w limp salad
    D - leftover lamb from Friday w sw.potato/greens.

Won't be anything for returning to the freezer as I'm not cooking. Nightmare week. It will all be coming from the freezer:D
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OUT
    1 turkey leg
    HM vanilla ice cream
    1 portion apple and red cabbage
    peas
    broccoli
    4 pieces teabread
    2.2L milk

IN - nothing
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Okay, this is my new quest.

I want to empty the freezer so we can buy a new (energy efficient) one.

Every day I want to take at least one thing out of the freezer and I want to not buy anything new if it's already in there/not have excess that goes back in there.

Not planning on telling the OH, but my meal plan for this week already requires lots out of the freezer.

Today out - meatballs, 6 sausages, diced onions, diced peppers.

In - :o 3 SW meals and 2 bags of microwave quinoa for quick lunches at work (will need to wean myself off these and start making from dried as I need them).
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback