ESA Health Assessment home visit?

Kinzey
Kinzey Posts: 92 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 19 June 2018 at 6:06PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hello, i'm new to the forum so please bare with me :)

An appointment has come through the post this morning for ESA health assessment on the 2nd July. Doesnt give me much time i know and i'm already panicking :eek:

I've been on ESA support group for about a year now for my anxiety, depression and insomnia. I hardly am able to go out due to my anxiety. i only can if i need to as i live by myself. and the person who went with me last time to the health assessment etc is ill for the unforseeable future and also i have no one else to come with me.
So i understand that i can make house appointment for them to call out rather than me go to the centre.

But i have been reading on the health assessment advisory service that if you are able to go to see the doctor you are expected to be able to go to the HA appointment?
How is this possible when its a different doctor and more formal and going to a not so much familiar place? for an example they will need a letter from my doctor (so will have to see him) explaining how my illness may stop me or make me worse to go to the HA appointment.
And an Home visit is not guaranteed.

I suppose this is the same if i went for help at the CAB. If you're able to go there for help and advice, youre able to go to the appointment?
At this stage i dunno which would be easier?
So what am i to do? :(
Thanks
Amy

Comments

• Stop_Watch
    Stop_Watch Posts: 122 Forumite
    Kinzey wrote: »
    Hello, i'm new to the forum so please bare with me :)

An appointment has come through the post this morning for ESA health assessment on the 2nd July. Doesnt give me much time i know and i'm already panicking :eek:

I've been on ESA support group for about a year now for my anxiety, depression and insomnia. I hardly am able to go out due to my anxiety. i only can if i need to as i live by myself. and the person who went with me last time to the health assessment etc is ill for the unforseeable future and also i have no one else to come with me.
    So i understand that i can make house appointment for them to call out rather than me go to the centre.

But i have been reading on the health assessment advisory service that if you are able to go to see the doctor you are expected to be able to go to the HA appointment?
    How is this possible when its a different doctor and more formal and going to a not so much familiar place? for an example they will need a letter from my doctor (so will have to see him) explaining how my illness may stop me or make me worse to go to the HA appointment.
    And an Home visit is not guaranteed.

I suppose this is the same if i went for help at the CAB. If you're able to go there for help and advice, youre able to go to the appointment?
    At this stage i dunno which would be easier?
    So what am i to do? :(
    Thanks
    Amy

There's your answer!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You would need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why a home assessment is needed. You can only cancel an appointment once so think carefully before doing so.

Did you send in evidence to support your claim? This will be needed as they very rarely contact anyone for this. The onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

It would help to take a look at the Support Group descriptors to see if any of those apply to you.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors

There's also reg 35 (support Group) reg 29 WRAG
    http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/making-exception

See WRAG descriptors here.
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1354-work-related-activity-group-descriptors

Do you know the reasons why you were placed into the Support Group last time? It would help to know this for this time.

Others will post more advice when they see this i'm sure. Good luck.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Generally to successfully request a home visit, you would need a supporting letter from your GP.

You can arrange for a taxi to and from the assessment, and should be able to reclaim the cost. The website of the health assessment company will have info on this.

You should be able rearrange an appointment date, but you are only able to do this once. Again this should be covered on their website.

If you fail to attend the WCA, it is likely your ESA claim will be stopped. A decision you would then need to appeal.

Not sure if that helps, or not.

If you attend and need to take an additional medication to cope - then make the assessor aware of this.

Some general info on assessments here:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/esa-medical-assessment/

You may want to ring your GP to see if s/he would be prepared to write a letter.
    Then (armed with this knowledge) phone the health assessment company explain the situation and see if anything can be done.
    But, please don't risk your ESA stopping through non-attendance.

Good luck.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Penguin90
    Penguin90 Posts: 73 Forumite
    I requested a home visit, submitted medical reports, GP letters etc - and DWP never got back to me. I guess they figured it'd be easier to just pay me than bother to organise a home visit. Madness.
  • Kinzey
    Thank you for your replies.

I had got Reg 35 not sure of all the descriptors but i know i had it for the social engagement cognitive impairment/ mental disorder . I had the total of 18 points when i won the tribunal.

I am just stressing what to do. The centre is just down the road from me. i would feel silly getting a taxi . It would be just ideal for someone to come with me for support but i got no one who is well enough.

If i need help i gotta do it by the 29th june as thats when i gotta call them to see if they have accepted the drs letter. doesnt give me much time to make appointments with CAB and drs.
    I dunno which is more stressful.

If i did go to the centre on my own, would it go against me on my claim?
  • Kinzey
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    If you attend and need to take an additional medication to cope - then make the assessor aware of this.

I'm already having to take an extra beta-blocker today. just thinking about it. I normally only take them if i am due to go out anywhere or feeling anxious for some reason.
  • Alice_Holt
    Kinzey wrote: »

I had got Reg 35 not sure of all the descriptors but i know i had it for the social engagement cognitive impairment/ mental disorder . I had the total of 18 points when i won the tribunal.

If i did go to the centre on my own, would it go against me on my claim?

It shouldn't as you may not have any alternative but to attend. Do tell the assessor about the stress / anxiety you have experienced at the thought of having to attend.

This directly relates to Reg 35. This can be awarded if it is decided that there is substantial risk to a claimants mental or physical health of any person if they have to attend ESA work focused interviews.
    Poppy linked to some info on ESA Reg 35, if you need to you can find more info on the internet.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Kinzey
    Looks like i just might as well go to the assessment. yep i will tell the assessor .
    thank you very much for your replies
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    It might be a good idea to take notes with you, in case your extra meds make you forget things you need/want to say.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Alice_Holt
    edited 19 June 2018 at 8:23PM
    Ames wrote: »
    It might be a good idea to take notes with you, in case your extra meds make you forget things you need/want to say.

Excellent idea.

I posted this on a different thread, but it will be relevant to you:

"The Benefit & Work guides are very good:
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/images/image/samples/esa/mh_wca_may13.pdf
    That's a sample from 2013.
    The full 2018 guide is available to members only. Membership costs c.£20 pa - might be worth considering.

I'd make some notes to take to the assessment, to help you explain to the assessor why you might be at significant risk. If the assessor accepts this, you don't need to score the 15 points from the descriptors.

However, it's important to go through the descriptors as well and see where you could get the 15 points (should the assessor decide against Reg 29/35).

These may apply?
    13. Initiating and completing personal action (which means planning, organisation, problem solving, prioritising or switching tasks).
    14. Coping with change
    15. Going out
    16. Coping with social engagement due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder.
    As a consequence of anxiety and poor mental health.

Do go carefully through the descriptors.
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1354-work-related-activity-group-descriptors
    If you need more info on interpretation of these descriptors, google WCA handbook and look what it says about that descriptor.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/715195/wca-handbook.pdf
    Pages - 118 to 137.

Again have some notes / examples around the relevant descriptors to get to the necessary 15 points to tell the assessor about. You may need to be persistent to get your points across . Info on assessment here:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/esa-medical-assessment/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure