Shopping daily or weekly?

Hi

I don't normally post over on this board, so I'm not sure if this has been asked before. Apologies if it has.

Do people shop daily or weekly?
I live alone and have been shopping daily, but i'm starting to realise that my fresh food is going off before I can use it. However I feel that if I resort to multiple shops per week for fresh, I risk sneaking extras in to my bag.

What do other single people/couples do?

Thanks

Comments

• PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I shop as and when needed no particular time or day.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mfw2016 wrote: »
    I live alone and have been shopping daily, but i'm starting to realise that my fresh food is going off before I can use it. However I feel that if I resort to multiple shops per week for fresh, I risk sneaking extras in to my bag.

You have been shopping daily but are reluctant to shop multiple times per week? I'm confused.

I shop as and when required. I go out with a shopping list of what I need and, unless there is a worthwhile special offer on something non-perishable that I would buy anyway in the near future, that is all I buy.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I shop when I fancy something different, or I'm completely out of 3-4 of my "backbone basics" and really can't squeeze any food I fancy from what I've got.

Daily is too often ... maybe 2x a week should be sufficient to maintain fresh food and not waste any, but you do need to really think how/when you're going to actually get round to eating what's in your basket.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    I do one main shop a week, and one top up shop for fresh stuff. Stored properly the food all keeps fine.
    Zebras rock
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Make a list & stick to it ??
  • Mfw2016
    Mfw2016 Posts: 34 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2017 at 3:56PM
    Sorry I confused you - I shop weekly usually on a Saturday but I find that sometime by Thursday / Friday its gone off if I haven't used it so I was thinking of going daily and buying what I need for the next day or two. This is because for example I threw away a lettuce yesterday which I bought last Monday.
  • To save time and money, I make a 7 day meal plan, and will shop for the items on the plan in one big weekly shop - no top-ups. As well as fresh, I try to make sure I have frozen veg and a third of a loaf of bread in the freezer too, plus a carton of UHT milk in reserve in the cupboard, so that I won't run out and be forced to do a top-up shop.

For veggies which I might not get through before they start to go a bit droopy, I'll either peel / dice and freeze for putting into a later meal plan, or I'll cook up a big vat of soup so as not to waste anything. I tend to have 'miscellaneous soup' as one of the meals in my plan, for this purpose!

When it comes to lettuce, if you don't chop into it and just peel the outer leaves off as you need them, and then wrap the lettuce in tin foil to keep in the fridge, it should last a week without turning. You can also turn slightly sorry-looking lettuce into a surprisingly tasty soup with a few other ingredients, as per Delia Smith's 'Old English Summer Soup' (you can find it by Googling). Hope this helps!
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I go shopping when I run out of milk, my kids don't like frozen milk (I do freeze bread). This usually works out as every 4-5 days. i meal plan for the next few days and grab any extra's I need when getting milk.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    As you are buying daily, you are adding stuff that you fancy more than you need.

If you don't believe me look back over the last 2 weeks and see what you have brought and think why.

If you wish to buy fresh fruit and veg don't buy more than you need. It's easy to buy a bunch of bananas but do you really want one every day of the week?

Buy fruit in small quantities. For vegetables, buy frozen, no waste.

Personally I buy once a week for my shopping. I then tend to use it up in order of how it's dated. I very rarely do any daily shops, then if I do, its would for bread or milk if I had a few unexpected guests around.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'd also look at dates in fresh items you are wanting to buy.

Often lurking at the back there is something from another batch with a later date.

Then there is just better management, I will often eat the same thing several days in a row, should I have something that needs to be eaten up.

I make it a priority to eat rather than waste it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure