Been scammed but est delivery date is 16th Jan - can I do anything in the meantime?

On 31 Dec I bought one of 7 identical items from an eBay seller who had 22 positive feedback (100%) and had been active since Sep 2015. The item is a posh kettle and I paid £75 for it.

The estimated delivery date is 12 to 16 January, and the seller hasn't yet marked the item as dispatched. In other words, the seller gave himself a loooong time between receiving my money and having to send the goods...

I just looked at his profile and his feedback has now dropped to 19 positive and 3 negative - this still totals 22, but it's no longer all positive. The negative feedback says:
  • SCAM! He is providing fake tracking! I think he made a few pounds for Christmas.
  • Absolute screamer. Provided fake tracking no & doesn’t reply emails. Be careful
  • Empty parcel delivered, postage label under weight of paid for item. Rip off!
So now, of course, I'm no longer expecting to receive my item! Should I do something now, or do I have to sit tight until the latest arrival date (16 Jan) before I can click Contact Seller and open a case? Then he has 8 days to respond... that's 24 Jan... hmm, is there any way to speed this process up??

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    cbmaxyz wrote: »
    On 31 Dec I bought one of 7 identical items from an eBay seller who had 22 positive feedback (100%) and had been active since Sep 2015. The item is a posh kettle and I paid £75 for it.

The estimated delivery date is 12 to 16 January, and the seller hasn't yet marked the item as dispatched. In other words, the seller gave himself a loooong time between receiving my money and having to send the goods...

I just looked at his profile and his feedback has now dropped to 19 positive and 3 negative - this still totals 22, but it's no longer all positive. The negative feedback says:
    • SCAM! He is providing fake tracking! I think he made a few pounds for Christmas.
    • Absolute screamer. Provided fake tracking no & doesn’t reply emails. Be careful
    • Empty parcel delivered, postage label under weight of paid for item. Rip off!
    So now, of course, I'm no longer expecting to receive my item! Should I do something now, or do I have to sit tight until the latest arrival date (16 Jan) before I can click Contact Seller and open a case? Then he has 8 days to respond... that's 24 Jan... hmm, is there any way to speed this process up??

Not usually no. The case won't open until the estimated delivery date has passed.

You could ring eBay but I don't think they will do much. Ultimately you will get your money back, but only when the wheels of the case have turned.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    A few years ago I had a similar situation. I'd actually bought some stuff suspecting it was a scam but there was an outside chance it was genuine. I was hanging on but noticed that there were several negs as the expected delivery date drew near.
    I filed a claim before dispatch day and was refunded quite quickly.

Get on to live help and ask them what to do, pointing to the negatives. They may well have more info on refunds and issue one quicker for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure