Vegan Living & Ethical Buying

Comments

• Hi everyone!

Just introducing myself as a fellow vegan and general all-round hippie type person, looking forward to finding lots of tips here :)
  • Missed the last few posts, sorry! Great idea on freezing the apples, squirrel - any good vegan crumble recipes? I'd like to make one over Christmas.

And welcome, rachloveswinter! Loads of lovely folks on this thread
    :D

Not much to report from me except to say I was quite excited today - I was out for the day with friends at a playground place, and the food van did a vegan quinoa burger! I'd taken my own lunch but decided to buy the burger instead as I wanted to show my support for them offering vegan options. It was delish, too. AND they did soya milk for my tea! As it's a small place in Devon, that was a nice surprise.

Also, does anyone read Ethical Consumer? There's a feature in this month's magazine on dairy free milks. Not made it that far in the magazine yet (it just turned up this morning) but will let you know what I think of it when I've read it.
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi DFL.....I was fortunate enough to get a job lot of cooking apples
    Ah very lucky! I haven't been as fortunate this year, so no applesauce raring to go for vegan baking this coming year :(:(
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi everyone!

Just introducing myself as a fellow vegan and general all-round hippie type person, looking forward to finding lots of tips here :)
    Hellooooo and welcome to the thread :)
    As it's a small place in Devon, that was a nice surprise.
    Ahh love Devon and Cornwall! :cool:
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • AND they did soya milk for my tea! As it's a small place in Devon, that was a nice surprise.

That is so good - that quinoa burger sounds yum too! A lot of places are finally starting to offer milk alternatives - I was so shocked recently though - did you know Ikea doesn't offer anything except Cow's milk? They have an actual Vegan society certified meal on their menu and yet no soya or anything?! When I asked they told me to 'put it in the suggestion box'. I was VERY surprised. Black coffee is lame :(
  • That is so good - that quinoa burger sounds yum too! A lot of places are finally starting to offer milk alternatives - I was so shocked recently though - did you know Ikea doesn't offer anything except Cow's milk? They have an actual Vegan society certified meal on their menu and yet no soya or anything?! When I asked they told me to 'put it in the suggestion box'. I was VERY surprised. Black coffee is lame :(

What?? That's ridiculous. I can understand smaller places not having it, but Ikea seems strange. Then again my local Sainsburys cafe doesn't do it either!

I discovered a lovely little place in my city the other day - a bulk buy eco-friendly place. They have whole bins of beans, pulses, rice, pasta, grains etc. Plus pretty much everything a vegan could want, cleaning stuff, frozen food, etc. No actual veg but I have my veg box for that. I got 2kg of oats and 1kg of dried chickpeas for £7 which will last me AGES and I think is a really reasonable price. I stocked up on dried beans from another bulk buy place a while back but it wasn't nearly as good so I am definitely going back to this one when I run out! They had a lovely cake counter with loads of vegan options too, but I managed to resist somehow.
  • Been off the boards for a few weeks...work has been mental!!

Welcome aboard rachlikeswinter :hello:

Dffl....no particular recipe for crumble - I tend to use a combo of oats, flour, sugar, whatever type of spread I have and a bit of cinnamon ;) I do it by eye rather than quantities so I'm probably no help at all!! :rotfl: That burger sounds lovely....we are quite fortunate that the nearest city has a few really good options for vegan eating but the second you're out of the centre, you have no chance of anything vegan! :(

I've had my first energy bill since I switched supplier last year to fully renewable....my last company fitted a smart meter and my new company can't read it (nor can I) so it's an estimated bill - it's less than I expected but as I had a couple of years off work prior to this year, it may be reasonably accurate.... I'll just have to hope for the best!

I'm currently thinking about what to do for solstice dinner this year....any suggestions will be gratefully received ;) I had a flyer through from waitrose the other day and they are advertising a vegan tart (think it was beetroot) along with their usual stuff...I was quite pleased with that - I'm not going to buy it but it's nice that they haven't just gone for a bog standard veggie option :D

Has anyone on here brought up a vegan baby? I'm struggling at the moment to think of meals that are perfect for an eight month old baby - when I feed my grandbaby currently I'm giving him veggies, hommous or beans and I'm not sure if I should be doing anything else :o I only have him overnight every couple of weeks but I'm paranoid!! :rotfl: I would have a look on the internet but I'm worried I'll start getting obsessed with it all and start getting preachy with my dd, so any suggestions would be really helpful! :rotfl:

Anyhoo, lots to get done today so I'd better get on.....hope you all have a fab weekend!! :D
  • Squirrel, I'm going for a Riverford not roast this year. I'll order it in my last veg box before Christmas and then freeze it until the day. I'll be travelling home for Christmas as well so it'll have to come with me! M&S are apparently doing some great vegan/veggie options this year which my mum is quite excited about so we'll try some of those as well.

Am childfree so no help at all on the baby vegan I am afraid! If you only have them once every couple of weeks though you'll be fine with whatever you choose so long as it isn't booze...
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've not been on here a while. Have found something potentially useful for anyone interested in nutrition however:

https://cronometer.com/

Basically you can enter the things you eat and see how well you're meeting nutritional needs. It's free to use - although has a paid option for extra features. Since I mostly cook things I eat, I've entered my own recipes. It's a bit of work to do that, but after it's done, it's done. I don't track every day, more do a sample here and there. It's helped me figure out the whole being vegan and eating properly better, I feel more confident I'm getting it right now. Actually, I think my health has been improving, and since I've been eating a better balanced diet that's probably the cause.

Anyway, just passed the first year of being vegan. It's going well, found lots of recipes I like and new foods I never used to eat.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    it's an estimated bill - it's less than I expected but as I had a couple of years off work prior to this year, it may be reasonably accurate.... I'll just have to hope for the best!

Normally you can phone your supplier and give your own meter readings. I do this periodically to keep the bills reasonably accurate.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback