credit problems

I'm worried about applying for any credit,including changing bank acounts. My spouse was declared bankrupt nearly 2 years ago, but any time I try to apply for a new bank account, I have to read a long spiel about checking reference agencies and including scores of anyone financially linked to me. It scares me off every time!
Should I try anyway, or wait until he's released from bankruptcy. Is there anything else I can do to make things better for me?

Em ???

Comments

• Is there anything else I can do to make things better for me?

Depends if there's anything wrong in the first place ;)

To find out, you need to get hold of your credit files. You can apply, online, to have them posted to you. Costs £2 for each report and takes about 10 days.

Look here

https://www.experian.co.uk

https://www.equifax.co.uk

Once you see the reports, then you will be looking at what the lenders see. So you'll know if there are any problems and the websites have information about dealing with the entries on the reports.
    I'm worried about applying for any credit,including changing bank acounts.

Changing bank accounts, fair enough. But credit is debt. Do you really want to apply for debt?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • if he is not linked to you on your credit file ( by joint applications in the past or by joint financial products ) then you shouldnt have a problem

if he is then you could always wirte to them and get him removed by saying you are no longer financially linked.

but credit is only a good thing if you are stoozing and taking money back from them!
    #113 12K in 2020 Challenge #113 £17,103/£12,000 £15000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport