ATOM Bank

Options
Does anyone know why the ATOM Bank Cash ISA doesn't show up in the MSE best buy charts? The one year fixed rate at 2.05% seems to beat all the one's shown in the charts so am I missing something? Are they a dodgy outfit to be avoided:huh:

Comments

• TUVOK
    TUVOK Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure why they are not in the list, but I have invested in a large number of their fixed rate bonds since they first opened and have always found them to be excellent.
  • dixon-bainbridge
    Options
    All the fixed ISAs in MSE's list allow early access/closure. Atom's does not. I am assuming that's the reason.
    Learn to speak Norfolk:
    Translations: Naarfok = Norfolk, Narridge = Norwich, jargon = like running, but slower, cooo = queue, how're yer gettin arn = Norfolk greeting, on the huh = Something being uneven.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Unless I'm missing something here, the 2.05% one-year fixed term account isn't listed within the ISA article because it isn't an ISA, Atom don't do ISAs!

It's listed within https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/#fixedsavings which is where it should be....

All ISAs must offer access to funds, even if there are early withdrawal penalties imposed.
  • mike_bacon
    Options
    :rotfl: Thank You - because my wife paid no tax on her gross interest I had automatically asumed it was an ISA. So that means I can still put £20k in an ISA this FY as I haven't used any of the allowance?
  • eskbanker
    Options
    mike_bacon wrote: »
    because my wife paid no tax on her gross interest I had automatically asumed it was an ISA.
    All savings interest is now paid gross of tax and tax is typically only payable (if applicable) once the interest earned over the full tax year can be compared with the personal savings allowance, so the fact that no tax is deducted at source doesn't signify an ISA! It remains important for the account holder to be able to differentiate between ISAs and taxable products when working out whether or not they're subject to tax, or indeed whether or not they should be declared to HMRC in the first place.
    mike_bacon wrote: »
    So that means I can still put £20k in an ISA this FY as I haven't used any of the allowance?
    If you paid into an Atom account mistakenly thinking it was an ISA and haven't paid into any actual ISAs then yes, you still have your full annual allowance available for use.
  • Cliddy
    Cliddy Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's already been said, but the Atom offering is not an ISA. Also it's got knocked off some lists because it's got beaten by a very small percentage elsewhere.
    And it gets paid gross as with all savings accounts now, but is not tax free.

I find Atom very good if you overlook their terrible screen graphics designed by some kids I think.
    Also I don't quite know why they say they are the first app based bank. I've been using nationwide and first direct for years.
  • eskbanker
    Options
    Cliddy wrote: »
    I don't quite know why they say they are the first app based bank. I've been using nationwide and first direct for years.
    They say "We’re the UK’s first bank built exclusively for your smartphone or tablet", whereas interactions with Nationwide and First Direct have been via branches (HSBC for FD) and phone and web browser for many years before any apps were created for them, so for those longstanding names apps are a belated additional channel, whereas for Atom the app is the only way of dealing with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure