Selling a PS4 with hard drive upgrade

I'm not trying to sell it here, against the rules & all that i know.

I'm undecided about my PS4. I forever intend to play it but i've only played it a few times since i bought it. It ends up getting used more as a DVD player than a games console and the DVD player upstairs doesn't get used.

The condition would be like new since it's barely been used, so the controller wont have any worn areas. I have a handful of games, not too many really. Perhaps about 5-7.

When i bought it i upgraded the hard drive to the 2TB hard drive straight away (oops). I still have the original 500GB hard drive which could go with it.

I also still have the box it came in.

Looking online the fact it's a 2TB makes it a tad harder to price and then those 2TB PS4s i see vary a bit in price so i don't know what's giving it away and what's asking too much.

So just wondering a fair price for this really if i do decide to sell it?

Comments

• marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    put the original HDD back in, and sell the 2tb drive separately
  • JustAnotherSaver
    JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 July 2018 at 6:32PM
    marcarm wrote: »
    Are you saying this from a getting more money point of view or an increasing the chances of a sale point of view?

I would've thought the 2TB drive in the PS4 would increase the chances of selling it as it stands out a bit, plus for those not confident of doing the upgrade themselves (yes i know it's easy but i'm sure some would like to do but are reluctant to try it) it'd already be done.

Without it, it's 'just another' PS4 and i don't know how easy the 2TB HDDs sell.

I've just found the invoice for the HDD. It cost me £91.03 back in October 2016
    2TB Samsung ST2000LM003 Spinpoint M9T 2.5" Hard Drive SATA III 6GB/s 5400rpm 12ms OEM for PS3/4, PC, MAC Ready
    Just checked on eBay ... £130 for that from the UK, £70 from Hong Kong. Thought hard drives got cheaper over time, not dearer :rotfl:
  • Zygyra wrote: »
    i have one
    Congratulations?
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    marcarm wrote: »

I'd do this also. Probably a better chance of selling it as the original unmodified console. You won't get your money back for selling the HDD used, but I feel you'd probably get more than if you sold it with your PS4.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just checked on eBay ... £130 for that from the UK, £70 from Hong Kong. Thought hard drives got cheaper over time, not dearer :rotfl:

They have.... £59.99 for a Samsung Spinpoint from a UK seller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-SEAGATE-2TB-2-5-Internal-HDD-Hard-Disk-Drive-7mm-SATA-6GB-128MB-Cache/263885726967?epid=3011382971&hash=item3d70d0a4f7:g:qc0AAOSwzH5bMCSu
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Are you saying this from a getting more money point of view or an increasing the chances of a sale point of view?

I would've thought the 2TB drive in the PS4 would increase the chances of selling it as it stands out a bit, plus for those not confident of doing the upgrade themselves (yes i know it's easy but i'm sure some would like to do but are reluctant to try it) it'd already be done.

Without it, it's 'just another' PS4 and i don't know how easy the 2TB HDDs sell.

Personally... i'd sell it as a 2TB unit. It will make more and a used 2TB HDD wont be worth much.

You could probably flog the 500GB HDD as "removed from a PS4 due to upgrade, very little use, ideal replacement drive if yours if faulty".
  • motorguy wrote: »
    To be honest we're a month on since i made that post so as ever when using eBay as a guide, we're limited to what's on there at that moment in time, be it realistic or unrealistic prices.

As for your second post i think (based on what i see hard drives selling for) i would agree with you. If i advertise as a 500GB PS4 then it's just another PS4, no different to any other that's on there and if anything it wont be as appealing as i don't have many games. The only thing i will have over the others is the condition - as it's barely used it's pretty much as new. Plus the box is in as new condition.

However with a 2TB HDD in there it could appeal to parents not really having a clue about capacities and just buying it because 'it should suit the kids needs' or to kids just wanting the biggest capacity they can get just in case as they may not be confident enough to do the upgrading themselves.

I can't really see me selling a 2TB hard drive on its own. It'd just be more hassle i imagine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure