Sending cash abroad

Options
This is probably not the correct section but I didn't know where else to post it.
My sister (who lives in Italy) recently got married and she and her husband are thinking about going somewhere in the US for honeymoon.
As a gift, instead of giving them money towards the deposit for the holiday, I would like to give them 'real' money to spend at destination (i.e. American dollars, pesos or whatever currency in use where they decide to go).
What's the best way of doing this, if at all possible? Sending cash in an envelope is a no-no for obvious reasons (unless there is some kind of insurance I am not aware of), but I can't think of any other way.

Comments

• Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi,

I agree sending money via the post is not advised, so options I can think of.

1.Send money to your sister so she can exchange into currency
    2.Wait till you know where they are going and send that currency to your sister using a foreign payment via your bank
    3. Send your sister a prepaid card with the amount you wish to gift to her so she can then use it to purchase anything while away.
    4. Travllers cheques in a card (not sure if these are still avaliable but are protected if lost)

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I should have mentioned that one of the reasons why I am doing this is that I got married last year, and as a wedding gift she gave us money towards the deposit of our first home.
    I would like to do something nicer than the "exchange of money", so even if at the end of the day we will be spending pretty much equal amounts, it won't be seen as "you gave me 50, I give you 50".
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Advise them to open Revolut accounts with the smartphone app, and you do the same. You can then load some pounds, convert to dollars at the perfect interbank rate (weekdays), and send them instantly to either or both of them. Or variations of currency, timing of conversion when you think rates are good. They (and you) can then use the Revolut cards when traveling anywhere, no fees except 2% on ATM withdrawals over £200/month.

Avoid the £5 cost of the card by signing up via the MSE link (may not apply to non-UK delivery, may need to request fee refund) :

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards/
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family