Shikakui Posts: 14 Forumite
    Thank you very much!
    I have found the tips very useful!
  • imbigron
    imbigron Posts: 15
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 1 May 2018 at 1:27PM
    I joined Priority Pass nearly a year ago, as I travel a lot and it has proved very useful, particularly on long stopovers and flight delays. I was surprised today to receive a membership renewal for another year, as I hadn't yet decided what to do.

I rang them to ask how they had been able to automatically renew my membership as I hadn't knowingly authorised this, and could find nowhere in any correspondence from them or on their website that this would happen. The Customer Service advisor was unable to say where it was on the website, except hidden away as Point 24, in their Conditions of Use. I don't know about you, but I don't really look at things like that, but expect a company to at least give me notification if they are going to automatically renew something.

I agree that it is my fault for not reading that, but feel it is pretty sly of them not to mention it anywhere else. Apparently on signing up it is mentioned then, but at no other time. It also curiously states that to renew membership you need to speak to a Customer Service advisor, which is blatantly untrue, as membership renews automatically. I assume that what they are doing is legal, but I find it very unethical.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,517
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    imbigron wrote: »
    I joined Priority Pass nearly a year ago, as I travel a lot and it has proved very useful, particularly on long stopovers and flight delays. I was surprised today to receive a membership renewal for another year, as I hadn't yet decided what to do.

I rang them to ask how they had been able to automatically renew my membership as I hadn't knowingly authorised this, and could find nowhere in any correspondence from them or on their website that this would happen. The Customer Service advisor was unable to say where it was on the website, except hidden away as Point 24, in their Conditions of Use. I don't know about you, but I don't really look at things like that, but expect a company to at least give me notification if they are going to automatically renew something.

I agree that it is my fault for not reading that, but feel it is pretty sly of them not to mention it anywhere else. Apparently on signing up it is mentioned then, but at no other time. It also curiously states that to renew membership you need to speak to a Customer Service advisor, which is blatantly untrue, as membership renews automatically. I assume that what they are doing is legal, but I find it very unethical.

Just insiste they cancel it, simples
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • Booked via MSE, I think this would have been eligible, too. In case it is, just type my name in (Daniel Richards) to get the recommendation discount of £7.50 off any booking.

(They'll give me £7.50, too, FYI but I don't fly that often to be bothered)
    good luck!
  • I’ve just posted this over on Hotdeals UK.

Hi - first ever deal submission so go easy and I hope this helps others.

So we go only holiday abroad a few times a year and like to enjoy the airport lounges when we can having a couple of kids in tow, security lane express passes are also becoming our new best friend!

We have gained access to these lounges in the past through credit card offers, or packaged bank accounts etc. Most of these either have an annual fee that kicks in after an initial offer period, or a monthly charge.

The Caxton FX card offers you the ability to book No.1 Lounges (not checked if it applies to any others) at discounted rates of up to 45% consistently. The discount rates do vary on location but we mainly fly from Birmingham. Note the discount rates need to be booked through the Caxton website on the following link no1lounges.com/caxtonfx and apply when you advance book your stay. They also offer complimentary premium security + access usually worth about £5 per person (apart from Heathrow).

If you do have kids yourself the discount rate does not apply to their bookings which are reduced from an adult price already.

In order to get the card you need to apply for an account, preload it with £10 and then they send you out your card. I spoke with them this morning and there is no annual charge for the card or dormancy fees if the card has no credit or is not used for long periods. Who knows if they will change this in future.

To apply:

- Go to the above link
    - Click on 'Get your card'
    - Complete form.

If you want to learn more for yourself about the lounge access click in the link in the text above or on the main site, click on currency cards and then extras and promotions.

Once the card is in hand theoretically you will be able to use this year on year to get discounted booking to the lounge without needing a packaged bank account or offer from a CC company.

I have yet to receive my card having applied today (which also required providing bank statement and drivers licence to verify identity) and according to the adviser, payment can be taken for the lounges from a credit card of my choosing and not CaxtonFx card.
    We will be going away again in the next couple of months so proof will be in the testing. If anyone has success before then - feel free to share.
  • ArKay
    ArKay Posts: 15
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    They have an offer on at the moment but I would not be tempted. My brother and I (and our wives) used to use No. 1 and they are good if you get in, but in the last few years we have turned up to be told there was a 2 hour wait - by which time our plane would have flown anyway.

You can of course 'reserve' your place by paying another fee on top of your membership fee (depending who your membership came through) but we have personally stopped using No. 1 because of the extra charges.

Incidentally, if you want to ring No. 1, then their main number is an 0844 premium rate 40p / minute number. Again - leaves a bad taste as it feels like they just want your money.

I have been in contact No 1 in the last few days and today I had a comprehensive call with them explaining the problems. However, whilst friendly, they are unable (or unwilling?) to offer any compensation or even a single day pass as an apology for the past poor service. No reason why they should but I would like to have been able to tell you all that they are trying to improve their service. Sadly not the case and therefore not recommended
    Keep it simple. If in doubt - desist.
  • MSE have a code for. cheap No1 pass, expires tomorrows.
  • ArKay
    Forumite
    MSE have a code for. cheap No1 pass, expires tomorrows.

but see the message above before you buy. I would not recommend No. 1 lounges because you cannot always get in before your plane takes off.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ArKay wrote: »
    Incidentally, if you want to ring No. 1, then their main number is an 0844 premium rate 40p / minute number. Again - leaves a bad taste as it feels like they just want your money.
    The cost is up to 62p per minute. However, usage of 0844 numbers has been banned for almost four years, since June 2014. Once you have paid your annual subscription, an 084, 087 or 09 number cannot be offered for further communications. The number must start 01, 02, 03 or 080.
  • ArKay
    Forumite
    Ian011 wrote: »
    The cost is up to 62p per minute. However, usage of 0844 numbers has been banned for almost four years, since June 2014. Once you have paid your annual subscription, an 084, 087 or 09 number cannot be offered for further communications. The number must start 01, 02, 03 or 080.

That's very interesting and I did not know this. I wonder how many others including No. 1 lounges know this?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure