PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Why do carrots go black?

Options
Over the last few months I've noticed that fresh carrots never last but turn black within a couple days, even the "loose" ones (though I know they're just pre-packed in bigger quantities and opened on the shop floor).

I always take them out of the plastic (if pre-packed) as soon as I get home and I've tried putting them in the fridge/not putting them in the fridge/storing in paper bags etc. I've tried drying them off before putting them away but nothing seems to stop them going black and mouldy.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how to stop it?

PS - I don't have a proper greengrocers or market nearby so shop-bought is my only viable option

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Simple oxidation reaction I'm afraid: a carrot's equivalent of rust.

I cracked this a while ago and to be fair, you're not far off. Firstly, poke a hole in the bag before they go in the fridge. When you are ready to use them, wash and dry the carrots thoroughly. Wrap in a paper towel and then seal in an airtight compartment. My carrots come in a 1kg plastic bag from Lidl and last me at least a week this way.

Method inspired by this video (strawberries are a much more fragile fruit).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Colliewobble12
    Options
    Thank you, I'll try keeping them in an airtight container.
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 October 2019 at 10:42AM
    Options
    I was going to suggest (untested!) perhaps vacuum packing or at least removing as much air as possible from the bag first, less o2 = less oxidisation. :)

My other though was perhaps (more so younger people perhaps? Does not usually apply to those posting in this area of the forum) are not aware that all carrots are not orange! :D

I suspect supermarkets are partly to blame here as people (these days) expect them to be bright orange and straight. I will give some credit to Morr's at least for all their (imo, excellent) 'wonky' veggie ranges, much cheapness too in most cases and its just as good just ignore the amusing veg shapes! :T

I noted the Americanism spelinzg (type deliberate) :)
    1. 'Cosmic Purple': This is a favorite in my own garden. The skin of these carrots is bright purple, and the flesh inside is yellowy-orange. They are sweet and flavorful. 'Purple Dragon' is another good purple variety that I've seen available in several catalogs.

2. 'Atomic Red': These bright red carrots grow to about eight inches long and are very flavorful. They are sweeter when cooked, but we like them raw as well.

3. 'Snow White': According to the people at Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, white carrots were very popular during the Middle Ages, and are finally starting to gain a following again. 'Snow White' is creamy white in color, very crisp, and good both cooked and raw.

4.'Lunar White': This variety grows creamy white roots with mild flavor, excellent for snacking.

5. 'Amarillo': If you're looking for a yellow carrot, 'Amarillo' is a good choice. Its lemony-yellow roots grow to around eight inches long, and have a nice amount of sweetness to them. This is another favorite in my garden.

Source > https://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/why-carrots-are-orange-and-5-non-orange-carrots-grow-your-garden.html

There are plenty of other links but that was simply the first one I noted. :)
  • herbily
    herbily Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it also varies depending on how supermarkets store them and how long the carrots have been in cold store (and possibly what temperature they were stored at). Have discovered that carrots from the supermarket whose name begins with T turn black and gluey within a couple of days while those from Mr M's emporium seem to last longer. Bought a bag of horse carrots from a garden centre a month ago, for making soup, and left them in the shed, and they're still fine - but you need a cement mixer to liquidise them in, these are tough carrots!
  • couriervanman
    Options
    Depends where you buy them from and the BBD......does anyone know how to read the aldi & lidl codes because the staff don't or haven't got the time.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I buy mine from the local street market & they're usually fine for a week or two in the salad drawer, not that they usually last that long! We also grow other-coloured carrots at the allotment & they're lovely; purple & white last year, but we never got any going this year, sadly. I don't know what's happening to yours, OP, but it shouldn't be...
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends where you buy them from and the BBD......does anyone know how to read the aldi & lidl codes because the staff don't or haven't got the time.

You can't have shopped in Aldi for a long time. Their carrots have dates on them and well trained staff that could read them for you.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Once they are washed, as they usually are for supermarket selling, they will go black and moulding

We now have a carrot peeling machine in work, so we have had to switch to class A carrots which we buy by the tonne. We have to process that tonne within 24 hours or else we too notice the mould has crept on.

Before that we peeled by hand and bought class 2, dirty, misshapen all sizes, and they would last the week stored in the cool dark shed

Usually the mould is only skin deep, if as deep as that even. Peel, and the carrot is fine

To store carrots you do have to remove them from the plastic asap, dry them with kitchen towel and keep cool, dry and preferably dark, not touching each other. Touching tightly and they will turn to mush

Dirty carrots bought with the tops attached, they are best hung in the garage to keep the air flowing around them and keep them dry
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 October 2019 at 10:31AM
    Options
    Note to self: Without going out of my own way, keep an eye out (in the less likely places as I suspect small shops better for this than supermarkets) for red/white/magenta or other carrot colours and get just a couple of them to try them out. :) , assuming said colour is intentional and not due to mould/bacteria!

On topic: Do the other colour ones taste about the same ? I mean they do vary anyway a bit but they still taste vaguely 'carroty' yes ? Daft question sorry but as they say "if in doubt, just ask..." :o
  • carriebradshaw
    Options
    I usually peel chop and freeze mine as soon as I get them, but when I worked in a hotel they were peeled, chopped put in a pan of cold water and kept in the fridge for up to a week. You just need to change the water every day or they'll turn slimey .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure