Saving for..?

Comments

• JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Yeah I had something out that just needed a quick heat up so that was handy.
    I am absolutely floored today - absolutely exhausted. Think I'm coming down with something - there's 2 people in my office with the cold right now. I have a lingering headache. Really hope a migrane doesn't come on.

Went for lunch with a colleague today as a roll really was not going to cut it and I haven't done it in a few months. That was £5 so I'm going to put that towards the entertainment and grocery budget. Tea will be the roll so it won't go to waste. Groceries today was just £4.20 and should be sorted for this week. I think my petrol is going to last until payday. So taking into account my lunch out today:

Groceries: £20.59/£25
    Petrol: £40.88/£55
    Entertainment: £60/£60

Can't believe it's almost Friday already! Knowing my luck I'll be knocked for 6 at the weekend with whatever illness is brewing, is always the same. Don't have any plans anyway! Have missed out on every survey that has come up for me which is a bit annoyed, and a £3.50 has been pending for ages so no cash out for Friday boo!

Weirdly as I was writing that a study popped up. A small one for 40p which I guess had 100s of participates but still :p
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I hope you feel better tomorrow. Have a pamper night tonight and rest all weekend and hopefully you will get better. Well done on doing the survey. :j
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Well don't have very much to report.
    I feel better but I had quite a stressful day at work on Friday (after complaining how bored I am!) - without going too much into detail I work with people on low income (benefits) and usually have some sort of disability. Both my clients for the day were in crisis basically and though I did what I could do I can't help but feel some sort of responsibility and worry all weekend that something bad will happen to them. I feel like I'm failing them even though I know it's a society and council problem and I can't pull solutions out of thin air.
    I did manage to sleep a full 10 hours only waking up briefly at 6am so I'm pretty rested.

Not much to report, £6.15 from prolific into savings. Not getting anything else for my groceries this week and won't get petrol until payday. 3 days to go :j

I have a wedding next weekend but one of my friends isn't going and I think it will be a case of me just sitting there feeling awkward, that is if I can find something to wear. So not sure yet. Another friend of mine also suggested we go back to our hometown to meet up with old friends and have a get together. Again, I'm not sure. Much of our friendship was getting drunk and falling out but we have all grown up so it might be nice. I tend to isolate myself and need to put myself out there but money worries. Will see how the rest of the month goes.

Boyfriend is supposed to be here in around 3 weeks but still doesn't have clearance from the government so can't apply for his visa yet :( really hope it comes ASAP because it's making us both anxious. If it doesn't come in time he will have to stay over in UAE and we won't know when we'll see each other again. This is his chance to be free and independent.

I do need to clean the floors at some point this weekend but otherwise I don't have anything else to do. Maybe fill out that job application I saw. None of my items are going on gumtree - I know I would get better success on FaceBook but I don't want to be so public and because people can get things for free on there, there's less incentive to buy and more haggling.

Groceries: £20.59/£25
    Petrol: £40.88/£55
    Entertainment: £60/£60

£4.41 + £14.12 from the budgets into savings

Savings:
    In: £272.64
    Out: £514.23
    = -£241.59

Emergency Fund: £1695.97
    H2B: £6784.95
    = £8480.92
  • savingwannabe
    Try not to worry about work on our salaries it isn't worth it. I used to but they treat us so disposably I dont any more. I hope boyfriends visa comes quickly I cant see the govt saying no as we are desperate for overseas visitors after Brexit.

It's hard about socials. Good luck in deciding go with your gut instinct. Your true friends will always understand. I agree about facebay I dont want people from work looking at what I am selling. Try local ebay. Noone hassles you and you sell or dont sell without any grief I find.
  • Yeah, it's ATAS he has to apply for - all foreign nationals wishing to study science sort of degrees in the UK have to apply, it's sort of a background check to make sure they're not going to use their knowledge from their degree to create weapons of mass destruction!! I think UK is the only country that requires this? But their system sucks. They take at least 20 working days to look at your application and if something requires changing, they take it in as a new application so another 20 days! But my boyfriend couldn't apply until he had confirmation to study here which he got in July. It's been around 22 working days since he applied but it's peak time so it could take longer. He's going to try contact his University to see if they can chase it up on Monday.

We actually met through the internet on a discord server. We were both in the server for about 11 months and never spoke to each other until he said he was moving to my city for University. That's how we got talking. Only because we thought he was coming here did we let ourselves catch any feelings but then the summer came, his mum found out about me, and that didn't happen. We were able to meet anyway and she finally came to accept it and we've met 3 times. So obviously if this doesn't happen then we have to wait another year and that's if he is able to come here to study a masters. So yeah it's a bit of an anxious time for us.

I didn't realise ebay did a local one now, that would be handy as my items are quite big and I don't like the hassle of trying to post things!

Ps: It should be illegal to make noise on Sunday.
  • savingwannabe
    I hope your boyfriend gets his authorisation. Oh dear to noise. :money:There is no noise here apart from me wailing with despair as I go back tomorrow after a 5 week holiday.lol:rotfl::rotfl:

Have a good day.

To find local ebay go to MSE and click on shopping and they give you the link for local ebay. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/local-ebay-deals/
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Pay Day :j

Thank God because I needed to top my car up with petrol!

Yesterday I treated myself to 3 tins for cooking which was £8 so that's a treat. I then bought some shopping for £12.21 and tbh most of that I didn't even really need. I've been cooking roughly 3 different meals a week, with 2-3 portions each, so I have a variety of foods to eat through the week. Funny how my cupboards, fridge and freezer are packed full yet spending less! Before it would just be full of expensive junk out of convenience. I used to look at other people's fridge, freezers and cupboards and be so jealous so I love that mine is pretty full, feels good and secure.

As soon as I got home today a £4 survey popped up for me! Got the last place at the right time. I think I missed one attention question but I did mention that in my comments on the end so hope they have mercy.

The past week or so has been testing at work but have had very much success which reminds me that my job is really needed. I know that doesn't mean it's secure though as it's dependent on funding so I'm still looking for the "right" job.

I had £50.71 leftover so I put that into my savings. I have also put the difference between my petrol usage and my expenses paid which is £44.12 into my savings. I know I'll probably needt to take money out of my savings this month for unexpected things but I think it's better it goes into my savings at the beginning of the month so I try to live on what I have in the current account. Before, I used to just put my £200 H2B money in then anything left over at the end went into savings - but there was never anything left over! So if I can get some in at the beginning and the middle it should be fine as I know what needs to come out so if I'm going to be out of money I can put it back in... you know what I'm saying..

No further forward with boyfriend's application which is a bit stressful for us both :( Really hoping he hears something soon.

Budget:
    Groceries: £12.21/£25
    Petrol: £20.15/£55
    Entertainment: £0/£60

Savings from last pay day:
    From wages: £277.06
    From interest: £1.02
    From save the change: £8.30
    Prolific/Cashback: £37.65
    Plus the free £5 ebay voucher I apparently had! Awaiting a £5 amazon voucher to be used for facecloths and toothbrush heads. I won £200 superdry vouchers but they haven't came yet - I messaged them and no reply!

Savings in: £324.03
    Out: £514.23
    = £-190.20

H2B: £6784.95
    Emergency Fund: £1791.60
    = £8576.55

Not sure what this month brings, random bills from my previous tenancy no doubt but no birthdays or big events coming up. Haircut on Thursday, eyebrows at some point and maybe the wedding on Saturday but if I do go I don't think I will stay long or drink much as the bad influence won't be there :p
  • savingwannabe
    Fingers crossed for boyfriend. I cant imagine the govt saying no. Well done on having savings and they are quite a lot.:beer::beer::T

I hope your vouchers turn up. That is a lot of money. :j:j:j
  • I don't think they will say no - it's more of a case of getting it then his visa on time. He's been in contact with someone from University who is going to try chase it up and has given him a back up plan so he can arrive as long as he gets his clearance by December which he will do and if it's rejected gives him time to appeal it or re-apply. Waiting until Tuesday due to bank holiday Monday and he will make a decision then. So he should be coming but you know, can't get excited until VISA is granted and he actually arrives here. I have so much yummy recipes for us to try when he is here! Plus I really want to go see IT the clown which comes out soon!

I contacted the store directly that is supposed to be supplying the vouchers as the competition runner didn't reply to me! So here's hoping I hear something but my main concern right now is making sure my boyfriend gets here.

Thank you for the support savingwannabe
  • savingwannabe
    Hopefully both will happen v soon. :j:A
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts