does a late payment damage credit rating?

does a late payment of one day damage your credit rating, A friend has told me that she did not have the required funds when the direct debit was due to come out, (for whatever reason) but then put the money in and called them, to explain and pay it.

as it was only one day late how much damage will it do to her credit rating. surely it will not be on for the 6 years unless totally missed.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It is appears, then it is on there for the full 6 years.

But check to see if it is. If the payment is immeidately corrected, then chances are it will not have ben reported.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes it will as it will appear for 6 years however as time passes it will matter less and less
  • carslet wrote: »
    does a late payment of one day damage your credit rating, A friend has told me that she did not have the required funds when the direct debit was due to come out, (for whatever reason) but then put the money in and called them, to explain and pay it.

as it was only one day late how much damage will it do to her credit rating. surely it will not be on for the 6 years unless totally missed.

Unfortunately late is late, irrespective if it is one day or two weeks - the CRAs don't have a sliding scale. As has already been said, however, if she corrected it quickly then they may not bother reporting it.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As mentioned it may not get reported, if it does it there for 6 years.

With that a single late payment shouldn't effect anything too much.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • carslet
    carslet Posts: 360 Forumite
    thanks for all your replies, I will ask her today what the outcome was. see if they will let it pass by and may not report it.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    carslet wrote: »

Won't be a day late as the Direct Debt would have been rejected as unpaid.

Quickest way of resolving the issue is for your friend to make a direct payment.
  • Ktaylor86
    Ktaylor86 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't have thought this wouldn't effect the credit rating.

As it is only a day late wouldn't have thought it would show as missed, thought it was when the payment hasn't been made by the next billing date.

I've definitely missed a payment before by a day and it hasn't affected anything. But I suspect it depends on the lender.

Also I recently learned that most lenders take 4-6 weeks to update credit reference agencies so by the time updated all payments will show as ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure