Equity I can't access

Hi hoping for help please
My question is can my means tested benefits be stopped if I have equity that I can't access or use??
I am disabled so my pip won't be effected
My daughter has ASD so her DLA won't be either but we can't live on just that....
My mum recently passed and she's left her home and about £20,000 to myself and two other siblings. I need to sell the property which is valued at 190,000 as I will loose my means tested benefits after probate but my sister refuses to sell!.. what can I do?

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Who is living in the house?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Your sister has two choices. She either buys you out or the house will need to be sold. If she won’t do that voluntarily then you would have to force a sale, but that would cost both of you a good chunk of your inheritance.

If she can raise £75k she can give you that plus the £20k cash then she can do what she wants with the house.

This will certainly effect your means tested benefits so needs to be sorted. Does she understand what the impact her selfishness is going to have on your finances? Who is the executor?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My mum recently passed and she's left her home and about £20,000 to myself and two other siblings. I need to sell the property which is valued at 190,000 as I will loose my means tested benefits after probate but my sister refuses to sell!.. what can I do?

Who is the executor? What does the other sibling have to say about the matter?

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-6511765/My-brother-odds-selling-1m-inherited-house.html
  • Executors are all three of us.... My brother wants to sell...
    If my sister sells all her equity will be eaten up on bills..... plus she has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer so is under pressure herself as she can't work now
  • What's this?

MAHJERINE
    View public profile
    Find more posts
    View all thanked posts
    Add to contacts
    Executors are all three of us.... My brother wants to sell...
    If my sister sells all her equity will be eaten up on bills..... plus she has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer so is under pressure herself as she can't work now
  • No one is at present mum's only recently passed
  • Why not have a vote?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No one is at present mum's only recently passed

Has the insurer been notified?

Your sister is unwell and is unlikely to want the pressure of being a landlord.

Leaving the house empty is unwise - unlived in properties tend to deteriorate - properties need maintenance - bills need to be paid and it doesn't sound as if any of you can afford it.

Perhaps you and your brother could gently point this out to your sister and get on with selling as soon as you can.
  • Good idea ....
  • Despite being unwell she wants to be landlord ... But for me I'd be getting not nearly enough to live on....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure