Debtors info

Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction... I’ve had that many loans, credit cards etc in my life and now I want to start to pay these off. However, when requesting my credit file from Experian, clear score etc I know not everything is on there. Can anyone advise me on how I can get to see what lenders I owe money too, so I can tackle this? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Only 6 years worth of accounts/loans/credit cards etc. appear on there.

If they’re not in there then chances are they’re past 6 years old and could be statute barred.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    !!! wrote: »
    Only 6 years worth of accounts/loans/credit cards etc. appear on there.

If they’re not in there then chances are they’re past 6 years old and could be statute barred.

And you're not really going to find out from anywhere else who your creditors are unless they get in touch.
  • SlippyEdge
    SlippyEdge Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 19 September 2019 at 9:26AM
    Sarah2019 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction... I’ve had that many loans, credit cards etc in my life and now I want to start to pay these off. However, when requesting my credit file from Experian, clear score etc I know not everything is on there. Can anyone advise me on how I can get to see what lenders I owe money too, so I can tackle this? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks

Even if you've developed selective amnesia and/or arguably have foolishly lost or destroyed your documentation referring to all these loans, credit cards etc you have taken out and not repaid in your life, I feel sure any creditor who hopes to get their moeny back one day has not.

Indeed, any creditor seeking their moeny back will I'm sure be contacting you on a regular basis, hounding you at every opportunity using any and all means available, to demand you start repaying.

I've read all about such actions creditors take who do not get paid, here on this very forum. Why not familiarise yourself with such examples detailed by others? :cool:
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 September 2019 at 10:09PM
    A similar post appeared recently, I think the concencus of replies was to just wait and see who / if anyone contacts you.

This was in relation to "old debts", although the poster never came back to confirm how long ago. So this only really applies for debts older than 6 years ago which have now dropped off the credit file. So, if less than 6 years they should be on your credit file, although the debt may have changed hands by now, so whoever owns the debt now might not be the same company you got the credit from.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure