Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KD1993
    • By KD1993 22nd May 19, 9:23 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 9Thanks
    KD1993
    POPLA Rejected
    • 22nd May 19, 9:23 AM
    POPLA Rejected 22nd May 19 at 9:23 AM
    Hi Guys,

First off I want to say how I wish Iíd found this place first and not rushed in to appeals, oh well.

Into my actual issue, I received a parking charge notice from ParkingEye for £100 back in February, it was a free car park where you have to enter your registration in a screen in the pub/hotel at the site.

I stupidly appealed to Parking Eye as I was sure that I had gone and entered the wrong registration (had picked up a new car), although by this point I honestly canít remember if I got distracted as I walked in. Itís one tiny little screen on the entrance wall. Should have known they wouldnít accept.

So I appealed to POPLA, citing the same reason as well as the fact that the evidence from Parking Eye was insufficient. All they had was a timestamped black and white photo of a number plate, no location data and no distinguishing features of the property. This too was rejected because of my appeal to Parking Eye.

In hindsight I know this was stupid so please, letís keep discussion to what I can do now and not what I should have done. Although in my defence I have previously won multiple appeals to POPLA with similar arguments, but this was the old, fairer POPLA which allowed you to send follow up emails and have multiple lines of appeal.

The POPLA rejection went to my Junk inbox so Iíve only seen it this last weekend when I logged into a computer, I have about a week left.

I did start to read the newbies thread, but honestly the amount of stuff there just started to stress me out and confuse me.

What can I do next? No way am I paying £100 for a free car park! All help is appreciated.
Page 2
    • Snakes Belly
    • By Snakes Belly 26th May 19, 1:20 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    Snakes Belly
    Would this be Whitbread ( owner of premier inn/brewers fayre etc)?
    Have you reminded them that they are jointly and severally liable for the actions of their agents ( parking eye)

Also should there be a breach fo teh GDPR regulations then a person at Whitbreads could be held personally liable.

Please post any reply here first before sending it
    Originally posted by Half_way
    Yes, Whitbread own Premier.
    Last edited by Snakes Belly; 26-05-2019 at 1:32 PM.

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
    • KD1993
    • By KD1993 26th May 19, 11:48 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KD1993
    Is it worth going back to these guest relations guys with another response? Or should I now just email the CEO?

I donít want to come across too hostile so I was thinking of going back with something like this...

Thank you for your email.

I am disappointed to hear that you are unwilling to assist me in this matter and would instead allow me to be dragged through court by your overzealous agent.

The signage on site clearly states that ParkingEye operate at the behest of the landowner. I would like to assume that such a well established brand would indeed own the land on which it is based. Therefore as per terms of the contract with ParkingEye you have full authority to override any charge imposed by them.

Although the occasion of my visit was to the TableTable, I often use your other brand, PremierInn, for my business travel needs and would like to continue doing so however I am not willing to do so until the matter with ParkingEye is settled. As previously stated my attempt to reason with ParkingEye was met with stubborn refusal to see anything other than an opportunity to profit from my misfortune and I am now at risk of being summoned to court, at further expense to myself. I greatly wish to avoid any lengthy court battle therefore I insist that you contact your agent to dismiss the charge.

Kind Regards,
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 27th May 19, 7:28 AM
    • 25,072 Posts
    • 40,400 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Is it worth going back to these guest relations guys with another response? Or should I now just email the CEO?
    There's no prescribed formula for dealing with landowners. Your suggested approach still leaves open the door to the CEO if your follow up letter draws a further blank.

Why not ask in your letter whether the landowner can confirm, or otherwise, whether they have provided PE with express consent to pursue parking charges through the court system. Their answer will determine your future decision making in calling the landowner as a witness in any potential court case involving this charge.

See how it goes.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in the critiquing of court case papers, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Snakes Belly
    • By Snakes Belly 27th May 19, 8:21 AM
    • 798 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    Snakes Belly
    You have had platitudes from the restaurant and the Guest Relation's Management Team. You could have another go but I think that they will still sing the same tune. It may be useful as a means to obtain the information mentioned Umkomaas's post.

Have you still got your receipt?

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 27th May 19, 8:53 AM
    • 6,564 Posts
    • 6,583 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    You haven't been summonsed to court, it is not a criminal matter (you are being taken to the small claims court) and it is not a lengthy battle, small claims procedures often take less than 10 minutes. What is lengthy is the time taken to research and prepare defence and witness statement. You might want to add to your letter that you can no longer afford to eat at TableTable if every meal comes with a £100 surcharge!
    • KD1993
    • By KD1993 27th May 19, 10:01 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KD1993
    I’ve revised the end a little bit, it’s worth another try even as other have said to obtain more information.

Apologies but I can’t quote as am on mobile and it doesn’t work properly.

And no unfortunately I don’t have the receipt, I would’ve paid cash and not asked for one.
    • 1505grandad
    • By 1505grandad 27th May 19, 12:44 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    1505grandad
    photo if no receipt?
    My family are always taking photos/video when we are out and about, including restaurants. If you were with other people any chance that happened?. If so and one shows people having a good time perhaps include it instead as you have no receipt emphasising regret that it cost extra £100?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 27th May 19, 7:58 PM
    • 76,396 Posts
    • 89,717 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Why are you omitting the vital phrase PARKING EYE USER MANUAL in your responses?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • KD1993
    • By KD1993 6th Jul 19, 9:19 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KD1993
    OK took a bit of a break as thought I’d see what happened next and I got nowhere with Whitbread guest relations guys. Today I got a “Final Notice” letter from PE so I’m going to go back to the actual restaurant itself and kick up a fuss again.

I know someone mentioned to email the CEO of whitbread but I’m not sure what exactly I’d need to put in there.
    • Egbert Nobacon
    • By Egbert Nobacon 6th Jul 19, 9:41 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    Egbert Nobacon
    Stop dealing with the monkeys and contact the organ grinder.
    This was the advice in post 15 some 6 weeks ago.

It’s easy just explain to the CEO your predicament and how disappointed you are with the lack of help from her branch manager.
    How you and your friends, who are regular customers do not feel able to return if your meals come with a £100 surcharge .

You can keep it polite but be firm.
    Do this ASAP.
    • KD1993
    • By KD1993 11th Jul 19, 6:06 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KD1993
    Got an email back within a day, fine will be cancelled no further action from my part!

Thanks guys!
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Jul 19, 6:14 PM
    • 24,978 Posts
    • 31,887 Thanks
    Redx
    well done

but it kinda proves our point of going to the top and stop messing around with the underlings, lol

yes it still amazes me that these big businesses allow their payting customers to be abused even though they took money from them after attracting them to their establishments in the first place

once but , twice shy

does not make any business sense to me to alienate customers
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Egbert Nobacon
    • By Egbert Nobacon 11th Jul 19, 9:53 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    Egbert Nobacon
    Well done glad you got there in the end.

You have been lucky to have no expense whatsoever as P/E would have paid the POPLA fee.
    I suspect Mrs Brittain may have paid this to get it cancelled.

Just goes to show she is a shrewd CEO who is willing to look after genuine customers.
    • KD1993
    • By KD1993 11th Jul 19, 11:10 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KD1993
    It’s a good weight off my shoulders,

The first response I got was from her assistant informing me my email had been passed onto the Executive Officer and then I received a follow up from “executive complaints” which apologised for the issue and that they had spoken with the restaurants GM who had agreed to contact PE to cancel the charge!
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 11th Jul 19, 11:23 PM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 4,123 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    well done ....

soooo tempting to ring / email all the grunts who messed you about and go ...

Ralph
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Jul 19, 11:34 PM
    • 76,396 Posts
    • 89,717 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Itís a good weight off my shoulders,

The first response I got was from her assistant informing me my email had been passed onto the Executive Officer and then I received a follow up from ďexecutive complaintsĒ which apologised for the issue and that they had spoken with the restaurants GM who had agreed to contact PE to cancel the charge!
    Originally posted by KD1993
    BUT have PE confirmed?

Does their website say £0 due/PCN cancelled?
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • KD1993
    • By KD1993 12th Jul 19, 12:09 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KD1993
    I haven’t gone onto their website to check, I’ll leave it a couple of days before checking to give it time to be processed.

I didn’t get the confirmation back from Whitbread until nearly 7pm so unlikely anything would have been updated yet
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jul 19, 12:14 AM
    • 76,396 Posts
    • 89,717 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Unlikely P/Eye will cancel after losing at POPLA without wanting some money...
    • KD1993
    • By KD1993 12th Jul 19, 7:32 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KD1993
    Whitbread agreed to cancel the charge based on the same argument I used in my appeal to parking eye in the first place so if they want money I’ll be more than happy to point out that the whole mess could’ve been avoided had they accepted my initial appeal
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,738Posts Today

8,033Users online

Martin's Twitter