Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Chrisuk263 wrote: »
    Yes, most months we have to move money from one account to another to make sure bills are paid and I had to take out a credit card just to make sure that I did miss bill payments. My partner was on an IVA from a previous relationship and being left with all of the debt. She started a student nursing degree 2 years ago, but has had to leave the uni as working 45 hours for free and then working part time was too much of task for her and she was under so much stress that it was making her ill.

I was working 45 hours on minimum wage and have now changed jobs to an apprenticeship which is a big wage cut for 12 months, but will give me a wage increase after then, so times are tough at the moment with the two of us and three kids.
    Sorry, but very little of that would be deemed Financial Hardship. You chose to change jobs knowing that it would result in a pay cut, you didn't lose your job.

Also, you state that only "most" months are a struggle, not every one?

Realise that the Bank's goodwill offer can be withdrawn and the Ombudsman cannot award you any more.
    Historical bank charges are not refunded.

Banks won't respond to complaints such as yours via E-Mail.
  • Shauname
    Options
    Are business accounts eligible for this?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Shauname wrote: »
    Are business accounts eligible for this?
    No.
    If your business is no longer viable that is no reason Bank will refund their charges. The Financial Hardship criteria does not apply to businesses.
  • H_J_Murphy
    Options
    I applied in 2007 regarding bank charges,my claim was being handled by Financialclaimsuk.com who at the time were confident that my claim would be successful ,however as we all know the courts came to their decision.At the time I was in a deep financial situation.
    Would it be worth my time and effort to claim again,my financial situation has improved since 2007.
    Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. .
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Let me go one better... hell no!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Scary thing is that this thread continues

on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on

but no one ever reads the actual thread prior to posting! :eek:

Bank Charges ceased to reclaimable for the vast majority of people a decade a go!
  • gecko08
    Options
    Hello all, I really need some advice.

I have been trying to help my friend out with reclaiming his bank charges under the hardship rule.

He banks with Halifax, and for a period of over 10 years had a £2500 overdraft which he was unable to get out due to the constant charges related to his account.

My friend has ASD & ADHD and struggles with all the things you & I might take for granted, especially banking. He often has no money to eat and take care of himself, and falls into life's traps constantly. With no experience of how the world works he cannot comprehend how to fix these issues without help.

I was able to get his last 6 years of bank statements from Halifax under data protection. I went through it all and totaled charges of £4741 (including interest).

I issued Halifax with the initial letter explaining his story and included a letter from his doctor specifically saying he is unable to manage his finances due to his condition.

I got a pretty badly written letter in reply, so I sent another appeal letter, yesterday got a reply standing by their original decision.

I admit I was surprised they are not willing to offer anything at all due to the awful circumstances my friend is in.

It looks like my next step is the Ombudsman, so I thought I would ask before I contact them is there anything else I should do?

I have uploaded all the correspondence here !!!!!!/2CBEYkE

I have removed all personal references in these files.

Thank you in advance for anybody who wishes to help in this matter xxx
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was able to get his last 6 years of bank statements from Halifax under data protection. I went through it all and totaled charges of £4741 (including interest).

You didnt need to do that. It is not a step required.
    I admit I was surprised they are not willing to offer anything at all due to the awful circumstances my friend is in.

The bank look at the spending habits of the person as well as any arrears/defaults and high priority debts. If the spending habits indicate consumer items or expensive shops then they are more likely to reject.

The documents uploaded by you indicate you mentioned health and gave a general summary of his finances. However, you did become quite aggressive in your demands. You are asking the bank for a goodwill gesture. Yet you demand statutory interest is added despite no wrongdoing. When you are trying to appeal to someone for a goodwill gesture, you should avoid making demands and false allegations as you risk winding the person at the other end up. You want that person on your side and you want them to picture the issues.

You also made the error of referring to the charges being unfair. The minute you do that you normally expect a rejection as they are not considered to be unfair.

You didnt upload the whole of the rejection letter. So, we dont have the benefit of the full reasons for rejection.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to ask the bank to look at the CURRENT financial hardship he is in but do remember they have no obligation to refund anything, a goodwill gesture of a few months is possible but by no means mandatory. If his spending indicates he is not in hardship but rather has caused his own hardship through spending habits then they probably won't do anything
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback