Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Charity giving cutout

Options
A drawback of giving to charity is that they have you on their radar. I don't want the spam etc.

In the past I used a thing called the dove trust, which ended badly.

Is there a modern equivalent?

Comments

• martinthebandit
    Options
    Send them a cheque? Drop some cash into one of their shops?

Although if you feel you can’t trust a charity with your personal data why do you think that you can trust them to spend your money responsibly?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just give to local charities, food banks, homeless projects etc
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can tell a charity what you do and don't want to hear from them, and the advent of the GDPR next year means that you have to specifically give them consent to contact you.

Giving through Virgin Money and Just Giving allows you to choose whether or not your details are passed on to the charity: I'm reasonably confident of that.

I am not sure what the options are on the other 'giving' sites, but there are several options. Take a look at the article on the main site.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • chris_aaaaa
    Options
    Thanks Sue, My donate seems best, if I trust them and the receiving charities not to put me on a suckers list.

I know Martinthebandit some are not to be trusted, that will have to come later in the course, my plan now was to put some money in an account and let my daughter distribute it.

Chris
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I knew someone years ago who would send his donations at Christmas. He sent cheques and a covering letter saying that he would send more the following year as long as they did not write to him in the meantime.
    Seemed to work.

Now I would also send a Gift Aid form - so the charity could increase its income and I could reclaim any higher rate tax (difference).
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Sue, My donate seems best, if I trust them and the receiving charities not to put me on a suckers list.
    that's one site I've not used, but having withheld consent to have my details passed on to charities I'm supporting through Virgin and JustGiving, there's been absolutely no problem.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you use CAF to deposit a sum you can giftaid it and then donate to individual charities anonymously

https://www.cafonline.org/
  • chris_aaaaa
    Options
    ta, that seems the right sort of thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business