MSE Poll: How do you feel Brexit will affect your personal finances?

Poll started 29 January 2019
The UK is set to leave the European Union on 29 March. So we wanted to test your sentiment about Brexit and its effect on your pocket, rather than the general economy.

Of course exactly how we'll leave (or possibly even if) is still a matter of much debate, so this is more a gut reaction to leaving – based on what we know – than an examination of the specifics.

So how do you FEEL your finances will be affected – which of these is closest to you view?
Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Who cares what the financial cost is! I had two children before the vote, both with science degrees.., so they were able to emigrate. And they have.
    A huge loss to my wife and I, a great loss to the country. We let dumb people in and intelligent people leave.., who will be voting in the next referendum? A greater percentage of dumb people.
  • Michael_L_2
    Michael_L_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 30 January 2019 at 9:22AM
    The only people who will be better off are the rich elites who hedged against losses and who wanted to get out before new EU tax evasion legislation comes in.
    The rest of us will be worse off, particularly affecting the poorest. The NHS will ironically suffer from lower Treasury income and if free reciprocal cover is lost ex-pats will place further demand when they return for treatment. If there is a hard Brexit they will flood back anyway as their pensions will be frozen like they are currently in non EU countries.
    People have been taken for a ride by Farage, Mogg etc.
    We will re-join under worse terms when the age profile of voters tilts more toward those who value the freedoms and other benefits we gain from membership.
    The saddest thing is that the very real problems of austerity and the sense of being left behind , particularly in areas that have lost well paying industry will continue. The focus should have been our own government and not the the EU - the scapegoat..
  • There's a couple of interesting points from this survey:

1 - over 60% of respondents voted remain. Smaller polls on DT always show a majority for leave.
    2 - there are more leavers who think they'll be worse off than better off post Brexit
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,257
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    At the time of posting, only 8% of respondents feel they will be better off following Brexit. I wonder what the results would be in a poll asking the same question, but with the assumption that Brexit is cancelled?

Maybe we are just a nation of pessimists, or is it that we believe a Government of whatever flavour will fail to deliver future prosperity for the UK.
  • DezMiller
    DezMiller Posts: 12
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 February 2019 at 12:39AM
    I find it strange the above (obvious Remoaner) who thinks only the rich will be okay after Brexit has not realised what has been happening over the last 14 years or so.
    If anything many of those rich business people are one of the biggest reasons that us working-class people voted to leave the EU and it's massive cheap (mobile) labour force who have been gradually forcing the real value of our static wages down.
    Once employers have to start paying realistic wages for a competitive internal labour market the sooner we'll have less foodbanks, money remain in the country, higher taxes paid to the treasury and hotel receptionists who can actually help me, not just take my money!
  • rnc
    rnc Posts: 55 Forumite
    DezMiller wrote: »
    I find it strange the above (obvious Remoaner) who thinks only the rich will be okay after Brexit has not realised what has been happening over the last 14 years or so.
    If anything many of those rich business people are one of the biggest reasons that us working-class people voted to leave the EU and it's massive cheap (mobile) labour force who have been gradually forcing the real value of our static wages down.
    Once employers have to start paying realistic wages for a competitive internal labour market the sooner we'll have less foodbanks, money remain in the country, higher taxes paid to the treasury and hotel receptionists who can actually help me, not just take my money!

Maybe you have an axe to grind but I don't agree. People voted to leave based upon lies (350m per week for nhs etc) and now are the things that were accused of being 'project fear' coming true.

Unfortunately, while you may think that employers will pay 'realistic' wages they pay either the minimum they can or in general at market rates for the skills that people have..... it depends upon the occupation. That is nothing to do with the EU and if anything we have them to thank for better conditions, better worker protection etc that we are throwing away.

And a lot of the employers are now moving billions of pounds of money abroad, which would have been taxed and help fund the treasury. So this has done nothing but make the country poorer, weaker, and a general laughing stock around the world ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure