Taking in foreign exchange students... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• Hi all

I run an agency in London, UK called London Homestays (londonhomestays.com) and we are always on the lookout for host families in Zones 1-5.

As it has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread, it is a great chance for you to meet students from different cultures, fill that spare room and earn good money. It doesn't have to be a complete family environment, single people are welcome to sign up too. We do ask that you integrate the student into your daily life as much as possible in order to improve their English, also ensure that the bedroom is equipped with a proper bed, i.e. no futons, bunk beds or z-beds, and a desk/chair for them to study.

If you are interested or have any questions, please visit our website at londonhomestays.com/hosting or call us on 0208 288 6843.

Thanks, Steve
  • Hi all

I run an agency in London, UK called London Homestays (londonhomestays.com) and we are always on the lookout for host families in Zones 1-5.

As it has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread, it is a great chance for you to meet students from different cultures, fill that spare room and earn good money. It doesn't have to be a complete family environment, single people are welcome to sign up too. We do ask that you integrate the student into your daily life as much as possible in order to improve their English, also ensure that the bedroom is equipped with a proper bed, i.e. no futons, bunk beds or z-beds, and a desk/chair for them to study.

If you are interested or have any questions, please visit our website at londonhomestays.com/hosting or call us on 0208 288 6843.

Thanks, Steve

Just read your term and conditions, seem like you'll pay 10 days:eek: after students arrival. Most agencies will pay immediately after students leaves or if it's a long stayer on a weekly basis.

AMD
    Debt Free!!!
  • Redbubble wrote: »
    Hi there everybody. I work for an English language school in Central London, and we are always on the lookout for good hosts. I have host families that consist of 1 person on their own and i have hosts that have up to 7 children!

As for age, i tend to go on the person's responses on my questionnaires and also how i perceive them when i make a home visit.

We have students all year round but it does ease off in the winter.

We only deal with families within London Travelcard zones 1-4, with zones 1 & 2 paying slightly more than zones 3 & 4.

If anybody is actually interested in finding out some more about becoming a host, im happy to answer any questions.

We only deal with adult students (16+), so unfortunately i cant answer any questions regarding minors, although i believe that the laws are changing regarding people that come into contact with under 16's.

I have 1 spare room, single, which could accomodate a student/teacher. I live near the Stratford City area, and Westfields., also local librarys and leasure centres.
    how do i apply?
  • I use to be a host for international language students for the last seven years. Most language colleges here in London pass the homestay/accommodation business on to agents. 99% of those agents are a complete rip-off. I have dealt with Host International in 2005 for about 3 months until I realised how much they "rake in" and pay peanuts to the hosts. However, in 2005 I hosted a nice female student from Japan. When her agency contract ended after 3 months I offered her to do a private deal - she was happy and so was I. She stayed with us for 2 1/2 years. At that time my children were still at school age and I had to cook a meal every evening anyway - so having another person on the table was no big deal. When she left I approached other language colleges who deal with their own student accommodation e.g. no agent - no middleman! Our home is a very large 5-bedroom house plus garden in a sought after leafy suburb in London . Travelling time just 20 min straight by Underground (no change) to the centre of London/Oxford Street.

I eventually found a well-established college here in London and I dealt with them for the last three years until now - October 2011. Before they take you on you must "pass" the test as a potential host, which means they come and inspect your home and the student room. You are also requested to provide references and if you intend to host students under 18 you, your family + any other person living in your home is required to provide CRB checks. Other requirements are: Annual Corgi Certificate and Fire assessments. Also, you have to inform your Home Insurance Company that you are hosting students.

Most students prefer HB. The hosts are paid by the college which is approx. £140/week/HB in high season / £135/week/HB in low season (fee structure 2011) the college however charges the students £20/week on top of that, don't know why?

This college also offers residence hall in their own buildings for their students. Charges are for example: BB single/standard /low season = £269/week - HB single/standard/high season = £284 (fee structure 2011). I was astounded to see how these fees compared to those paid to host families.

As a host family you are requested to treat the foreign student like a family member and help them in every aspect of their daily student life. You are expected to be an English teacher, conversationalist + companion, welfare officer, cook and cleaner, mother ...... I found that I've put a lot of effort into my hosting which was appreciated by most of our students. The colleges expect the hosts to be there whilst the student stays with them incl. weekends. You are expected to do their personal laundry, provide weekly fresh bed linen + towels, and clean their room weekly and provide free Internet access 24/7. If the student hasn't got their own laptop they would ask to use your PC + printer - free of course! . Although I went through the "house rules" with the students to avoid misunderstandings - they tend to forget these and needed to be reminded. Some students are fussy eaters and not used to European food, some want to invite friends/family to stay overnight for free. Some sit in your lounge and watch TV for hours on end or have showers for more than 30 min each time or leave their electrical equipment on 24/7. Some leave their rooms a tip, which makes it impossible to clean. You have to put up with the fact that your privacy is somewhat restricted - especially when you have family and don't want to discuss certain things when the student is present.

Still, I have put up with this for a number of years now - and decided I had enough and don't want to do it anymore - since my efforts are not rewarded enough financially. Conclusion: There must be a better way of earning a bit of extra money to supplement the family income !
    MY ADVICE: BE AWARE OF HOMESTAY AGENTS !
  • Can anyone advise me the rules if you have animals?
    Im a 25 year old female and interested in this idea since my lodger moved out.

My main concern is i have 2 big dogs. I have had them for 6 years, they are well trained, and have been brought up around and children and are big softies. I wouldn't worry about a students safety, but rather if the student is scared or uncomfortable. would they match my situation with a suitable student or simply say no.

Another thing to consider is the safety of my dogs(eg front door being left open, dengerous objects left around etc)
    Has anyone else done this with dogs?

any advice appreciated, thanks

Sophie
  • nat21luv
    nat21luv Posts: 3,434
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    edited 18 January 2013 at 4:39PM
    I've been a host in Torbay for 3 years, this year will be my fourth season. I get all year round students as I have hosted during the peak seasons during the previous year. I am paid £12.75 pppn under 18 rising to £14.50 during peak weeks. I host 4 at a time in the same room, they have bunkbeds and en suite they have sole use of. I prefer girls as they are easier but boys are ok if you are in a relationship or have a male residing with you. I am a single parent with two children and boys take advantage of that, they are very loud, disrespectful and push boundaries. Girls are much better and interact with my children more, makes for a much nicer atmosphere in my home! I didn't state a gender preference last year and at the end of the season I asked if I could request just girls, the director of the school laughed and said I was a hero to last as long as I did with boys! Boys wrestle, jump from the top bunk, throw things out the window, shout, stay out past curfew and their room smells awful. Would highly recommend girls!! The schools down here ask you to feed them 3 times a day providing packed lunch everyday and on the departure day. It's a great way of making money and I would highly recommend it.

As far as I am aware, they do not CRB check but they do ask you to fill out and sign a Safeguarding Children form and contact your Local Council to check. They will also send a form asking for your details, your preferences and whether you are able to host students with special needs; veggies, vegan, allergies, Muslim ect. They will ask if you have any pets and will not allow you to host if you have a specific breed(German shepherd, staffie, pitbull ect) the students also fill out a form stating if they have special requirements and they try to match you up. I don't tend to get many, just allergies to goose feather(no chance of that in my house!!) dogs, wasps, Muslim so don't eat pork.

This year I will think twice about hosting a student male from a Muslim country(turkey ect) as they are extremely disrespectful. They won't interact much with females, very rude and expect everything to be done for them. I had a student for 6 weeks last year who wouldn't even clear his plate from the table, he would finish his meal and walk off even though everyone else was still eating! He was very hard work, but a gem when my male friend visited. He would interact with us and play with us downstairs. When my male friend left he would keep himself to himself although he would spend hours shouting at his mother on the phone! His Mother would ring me ordering me to drive him to McDonald's! All in all, it can't be that bad as I have 2 boys staying for 10 days in feb(I'll host two at a time, not four. Only have 4 girls)

Forgot to add, I rent and just had to get permission from my landlord who lives on site(another reason why I chose girls) and need a gas safety certificate for the year.
    £20k in 2023 = £2718 £2023 in 2023 = £196.41 Grocery challenge £250= £195.80 **MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • nat21luv wrote: »
    I've been a host in Torbay for 3 years, this year will be my fourth season. I get all year round students as I have hosted during the peak seasons during the previous year. I am paid £12.75 pppn under 18 rising to £14.50 during peak weeks. I host 4 at a time in the same room, they have bunkbeds and en suite they have sole use of. I prefer girls as they are easier but boys are ok if you are in a relationship or have a male residing with you. I am a single parent with two children and boys take advantage of that, they are very loud, disrespectful and push boundaries. Girls are much better and interact with my children more, makes for a much nicer atmosphere in my home! I didn't state a gender preference last year and at the end of the season I asked if I could request just girls, the director of the school laughed and said I was a hero to last as long as I did with boys! Boys wrestle, jump from the top bunk, throw things out the window, shout, stay out past curfew and their room smells awful. Would highly recommend girls!! The schools down here ask you to feed them 3 times a day providing packed lunch everyday and on the departure day. It's a great way of making money and I would highly recommend it.

As far as I am aware, they do not CRB check but they do ask you to fill out and sign a Safeguarding Children form and contact your Local Council to check. They will also send a form asking for your details, your preferences and whether you are able to host students with special needs; veggies, vegan, allergies, Muslim ect. They will ask if you have any pets and will not allow you to host if you have a specific breed(German shepherd, staffie, pitbull ect) the students also fill out a form stating if they have special requirements and they try to match you up. I don't tend to get many, just allergies to goose feather(no chance of that in my house!!) dogs, wasps, Muslim so don't eat pork.

This year I will think twice about hosting a student male from a Muslim country(turkey ect) as they are extremely disrespectful. They won't interact much with females, very rude and expect everything to be done for them. I had a student for 6 weeks last year who wouldn't even clear his plate from the table, he would finish his meal and walk off even though everyone else was still eating! He was very hard work, but a gem when my male friend visited. He would interact with us and play with us downstairs. When my male friend left he would keep himself to himself although he would spend hours shouting at his mother on the phone! His Mother would ring me ordering me to drive him to McDonald's! All in all, it can't be that bad as I have 2 boys staying for 10 days in feb(I'll host two at a time, not four. Only have 4 girls)

Forgot to add, I rent and just had to get permission from my landlord who lives on site(another reason why I chose girls) and need a gas safety certificate for the year.

Hi Nat,
    I also live in Torbay, what company do you get your students from (if you don't mind me asking....!?) Is there a certain month you have to register by to get them for that year...? There are soooo many different companies around Torbay that need host families but am unsure which One to apply to.
    Thanks in advance
    Jen.:D
  • jonparr
    jonparr Posts: 24 Forumite
    We've been doing this for three years, mainly taking in the guides and coach drivers as we speak French, but have also taken students on occasions too. Have to say it has been very enjoyable and we have met some great people, some of whom we remain in contact with and have invites out to stay with them in France! Of course there is also the money aspect which basically covers our weekly shop for the whole family and the students with a bit left over. The advantage of the company we work with is that they are here on school trips , so they are only here during the week and just need feeding with a breakfast and an evening meal as they are out all day.

Such is the demand for these type of school trips in France at the moment (because of the crisis, it's the cheapest way for schools to visit the UK) that the French organisation have asked us to set up a new centre for them and recruit host families.

My recommendation would give this a try there is no commitment as there is no contract so you pick and choose the weeks you can host, and if you don't like it you can just stop. However, if you do like it, it's a great little income earner for very little effort!
  • jonparr
    jonparr Posts: 24 Forumite
    Having now set up a centre to find host families, I didn't realise how difficult it would be to recruit families! Despite the obvious advantages of earning money from the comfort of your own home we are struggling to find families. We pay £14.50 per student per night so it obviously adds up to quite a significant amount if you have 3 students for 4 nights as we reckon you only spend about £5 on food and lodging per night! Any ideas on why, as people seem happy to spend hours doing online surveys etc on this forum, but something as simple as this doesn't seem to appeal!? (Price is fixed and pretty much standard across the UK for this type of hosting)
  • AMILLIONDOLLARS
    AMILLIONDOLLARS Posts: 2,299
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 November 2013 at 10:27AM
    jonparr wrote: »
    Having now set up a centre to find host families, I didn't realise how difficult it would be to recruit families! Despite the obvious advantages of earning money from the comfort of your own home we are struggling to find families. We pay £14.50 per student per night so it obviously adds up to quite a significant amount if you have 3 students for 4 nights as we reckon you only spend about £5 on food and lodging per night! Any ideas on why, as people seem happy to spend hours doing online surveys etc on this forum, but something as simple as this doesn't seem to appeal!? (Price is fixed and pretty much standard across the UK for this type of hosting)

You reckon it they'd spend £5 per night on lodging and food. Have you factored in the cost of gas/electricity/water (lots of people on water meters showering and flush toilet for extra person costs money) laundering and in some cases picking up and dropping (petrol) that student off, unless they are independents. look at the £5 again that student may need breakfast, packed lunch and dinner!

What are you asking your Host family to do just bed and breakfast?
    Full Board constitute a breakfast for example a bowl of cereal, cup of tea/coffee? Packed lunch is normally 1 rounds sandwiches, pack crisps piece of fruit, bottle of water. Dinner meat and two veg?

What's your breakdown?
    AMD
    Debt Free!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills