Get a grip !

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 October 2017 at 7:51PM
    Went to b & m after work and got money back on new puppy toys supposedly designed to withstand chewing !! They lasted 2 hours for one and 10 mins for the other. Maybe I should offer her up to test their so called durable toys :rotfl:

Went to pets at home and bought some heavy duty toys as recommended by them. One is a rope with a tennis ball at each end and a rubber tube in the middle. She destroyed the rubber tube in 10 minutes, so I have cut it off and she had been merrily munching away on the rope and tennis balls so that may last a bit longer :D Haven't given her the other toy yet. Will see how these last - 3 times the price but I was assured they should last a "reasonable" time. Used a 10% voucher received when they sent me a loyalty card last month.
    Couldn't resist a naughty £1.99 McD big mac & fries for lunch using :money:on the way home.

Managed a puppy walk before the rain came. Its very chilly tonight I have put an extra cardigan on !
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    This is getting to be so frustrating for you. How strong are her teeth she is just a puppy? I think the fault is in the quality of the toys at that shop??? Try the toys at somewhere like Pets at Home.

The pamper party sounds great. It is getting colder. I am glad I am living upstairs in my house as I don't feel it as much as downstairs. Have a good day.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • haha the last 2 toys are from pets at home and the one I thought would last longest she has chewed bits of plastic off within 10 minutes. It will be going back tomorrow for a refund as it cost £15 !!!

We had a lovely puppy walk this afternoon when I drove to the local common. Did some recall training and now we have a retractable lead she can run about a bit more which she loved. Yesterdays walk in the park was manic with about 10 dogs some running around off lead and nipping & barking at other dogs. puppy got really hectic and was very naughty so I tied her to the fence and stepped away out of reach until she calmed down ! She was lovely today and no biting the lead/ back of my trainers :j She is so cute in her harness and seatbelt :)

Its been very difficult sorting the gravel for next week with some websites saying we need 3 ton and some saying 6 ton ! My dad has been helping and hes visiting a building merchant tomorrow to check what we are buying before I order it down here for when they visit next week.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • I took the "chew" toy back to pets at home and got a refund £15. I asked them what the position would be if I bought more toys and they said I would not be able to get a refund ! Anyway I found some really cheap toys £2 each so I bought 3 of those, thinking at that price I would just chuck them if they didn't last. So far I have given her 2 of them today and she has not destroyed them :) One is a squeaky bone and the other is a rubber "dumbbell"

Had a lovely puppy walk over on the common again. It was sunny but a chilly wind. Did some training (sit, lay down, stay, come) and took her ball and she really enjoyed running around. She still needs to get the hang of "fetch" though as she comes running back for the treat without the ball:rotfl:

I put some washing out about 3pm and it dried by tea time. I've just put the puppy out before bed and its very gusty out there now. We are forecast for overnight heavy rain and gale force winds.

I ordered the gravel for next week. Travis Perkins website says free delivery over £50. I phoned the local store to ask some questions and they said I could get free delivery if I ordered online. I tried that and it was charging £5 for delivery. So I rang customer services and they said bulk deliveries are not included :( So I phoned my local store again and explained and said I would order direct from them instead of internet, and the lovely girl said she would waive the delivery charge :T
    So that's £151 on my new credit card. I also phoned the new credit card company on the free 0800 number and arranged my balance transfer £129.

I have decided I am going to get a new carpet for my bedroom as it still has a childs carpet in it from when it was DS's room, as well as a new tv and get some new clothes and boots for winter. Clothes are needed as I have lost a stone and boots are needed as my old ones from last year have a hole in the sole.

Then I have 11 months to pay it off at 0%. If I get any money for xmas or birthdays from family or DP's I will pay that off the card too.

Living off savings diary
  • Thank goodness its Friday ! :j

I now have a week off work and am looking forward to DP's coming down on sunday. DS has split with his long term gf of 4 years and so he's been sad for a few days, but has gone out tonight to a beer festival with his mates. I dropped him off in the car and the petrol light is now on but I shouldn't need to drive anywhere next week so will save on petrol money.

I got 2 loads of washing done when I got in from work as it was such a lovely afternoon. They have mostly dried so will finish on airers overnight. I am now wrapped in a furry throw and a jumper, I am resisting putting the heating on :p

Tomorrow I am going to clean and hoover the spare room ready for DP's and make the bed. I am also going to try and get to the local charity furniture shop as we are hoping to get a cheap sofa for the dog :rotfl: She's not allowed in the living room with my leather sofa !!! so I am going to get one for her room.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    This doggie is getting pampered with her own sofa!!!!!!! It's great you are getting some new carpet too.

Sorry about dear son, i hope he can enjoy himself tonight. Well done on washing i have so much to do this weekend. Glad your parents are coming I love my parents and know yours are just the same. The garden sounds like it is going to keep you busy, gravelling sounds like hard work. Have a good night.
  • Saturday was a grey windy day, but I managed to get puppy bedding and towels washed and mostly dried online. I gave puppy bedding a 20 minute blast in the tumble dryer to finish it off and get rid of any dampness before letting her sleep on it.

I dropped DS off at work in the morning as he still felt a bit hungover and didn't want to drive. On the way home I popped into the charity shop and they had a sofa just the type and style I was hoping for to go in the kitchen (puppy room) for £120 with a big footstool too. It is being delivered on Wednesday, which is the same day as the gravel so we will be busy !

I made some vegetable soup for lunch with a carrot, potato and onion and a chicken stock cube which was nice and warming on a chilly day and we had curry last night with a jar of sauce from aldi.

DP's arrive later today and we are having a roast when DS gets home from work at 5pm.

I have had my latest bill from coop energy and I am £56 in credit which will go towards winter bills. They have listed 2 new tariffs on the bill which will save me £85.74 if I switch. My fix ends 30 December so I am going to have a look at those later and do some comparisons elsewhere to see what sort of offers come up. I am registered with the mse energy club and I haven't had any emails saying I can save by switching.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    You are lucky it didn't rain for you yesterday it did by me and I had to do my drying in the machine. Well done on bargain nice sofa. I hope son had a good time. Well done on credit from energy supplier that will come in useful.

Yum on nice food. I'm glad your parents are coming down. It makes me happy as I know i always feel better when parents are here. Have a good day do try to rest a bit.
  • Blimey its Tuesday already where did the last 2 days go !

DP's arrived on Sunday with food and we had a roast dinner with DS when he got in from work at tea time.

Monday was spent finishing off the ground work on the alleyway ready for the membrane to go down today and the gravel tomorrow. DF replaced my outside tap £5 from toolstation and we got a wheelbarrow £35 and some pegs £10 for the membrane so that should be all we need. Used 0% credit card. My balance transfer has gone through now so my old credit card is cleared. I just need to set up online banking for my new card this week.

In the afternoon we went food shopping for the week and DM kindly paid. I saw my neighbour who will lend us a wheelbarrow so we will have 2 now I have bought one, so we should be all set for tomorrow. My other neighbour who shares the alley with me has given me half the money for the gravel :T I will pay that into the bank and transfer it to my new 0% credit card.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Hooray for parents and for you for sorting out all the purchases for the membrane. Fingers crossed you can all sort the job out. You will have saved lots of money.

I hope your parents are really spoiling you as you deserve it. I bet they love puppy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure