Home Worker

Hi All

I work from home for a large company, on average 3 days a week. My bills have shot up since I have been in this role, does anyone know how to calculate the work area I can claim back for?

I have a small desk area in a large open plan room which can get cold in the winter so takes a lot to heat. Do I measure the room it is in or just the desk area? if it is just the desk area it probably won't be worth it.

any help or links will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,521
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I may be wrong but if you're an employee and contract has you as office based but your employer is allowing you to work from home part time, I didn't think you couid claim any allowances. Are you contracted as a homeworker and your compnsy pays a homeworker allowance? Or are you self employed?
    If contracted are the extra costs not offset by not needing to commute on those days?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Wouldn't the simplest thing be to just ask your employer?

If you're going to be claiming expenses from them then they will no doubt have rules/policies around this which they should share with you.

In fact is it included in your staff handbook?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure