Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keepthelinguini
    • By keepthelinguini 9th Aug 17, 2:42 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    keepthelinguini
    High Income Child Benefit Charge
    • 9th Aug 17, 2:42 PM
    High Income Child Benefit Charge 9th Aug 17 at 2:42 PM
    I'm so annoyed. I've just received a big bill from HMRC and been told I'm going to pay a penalty, and I think it's completely unjust.

I'm a PAYE employee.

In 2013 when the High Income Child Benefit Charge was introduced I earned under the 50,000 threshold - so the change in rules didn't apply to me.

Since then my income has gone slightly over 50,000.

I've just received a bill for well over 1k for missed HICBC in the two years ending 2015 and 2016. I called them to query, and they said I should have registered for self assessment when my income went over 50k, and that I'll be charged a penalty on top of the amount I owe - around 250 - for failing to notify them.

HOW was I supposed to know I need to start filling out a tax return when my income went above 50k?

I'm planning to appeal the penalty, but the lady in the call centre told me that it would fail because you can't claim ignorance of the rules.

IT'S SO UNJUST!

If anyone has any advice, I'd be very pleased to hear it.
Page 11
    • keepthelinguini
    • By keepthelinguini 4th Dec 18, 1:33 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    keepthelinguini
    So you don't have to pay the HICBC itself despite having ANI greater than 50k?

Sure others will be interested in this as that far outweighs expectations from the links in Spidernick's post of 10 November earlier in this thread.
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    The retrospective payments I made to cover the historic years are being refunded. I think the decision is that I was dealt with unreasonably by HMRC in its demands historically. It doesn't mean I don't have to pay the charge going forward - I'm sure I absolutely do!
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 4th Dec 18, 1:44 PM
    • 4,223 Posts
    • 2,176 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    You've been more successful than another recent tax case just published on the tribunal decisions part of gov.uk,

TC06835 Neil Johnstone
    • jsl1903
    • By jsl1903 2nd Jan 19, 3:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jsl1903
    This might sound like a bit of a daft question, but I'll ask it anyway as my brain hurts with anything tax related.

We currently get Child Benefit for two children and my salary is just about to go over 60k, so I'll have to start paying back the full amount. If I cancel the Child Benefit, will my monthly PAYE tax reduce by the same amount as the monthly Child Benefit payment?

Sorry for such a Noddy question!
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 2nd Jan 19, 5:56 PM
    • 4,223 Posts
    • 2,176 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    We currently get Child Benefit for two children and my salary is just about to go over 60k, so I'll have to start paying back the full amount. If I cancel the Child Benefit, will my monthly PAYE tax reduce by the same amount as the monthly Child Benefit payment?
    Unless you let us know what your current tax code is and how it is made up it is impossible for anyone to answer this.

You might have a restriction in your tax code so you pay more tax towards your overall tax and HICBC. But plenty of people don't, they just pay the Self Assessment bill when it arrives. Or some delay payment even longer by having the Self Assessment bill included in their tax code i.e. 2017:18 bill would be paid over the 12 months from 6 April 2019 - 5 April 2020.
    • genieuk
    • By genieuk 10th Jan 19, 12:53 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    genieuk
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I appealed to the Tax Tribunal and won. I've just received confirmation that I'll receive a refund of everything I was asked to pay.

I'd recommend anyone with a similar grievance to appeal to the Tax Tribunal. I had no representation - it's not necessary, and it's a very simple process.
    Originally posted by keepthelinguini

Hi

We have just handed over 4300 the online portal figures were different to the letter received. Each email we had from HMRC never included any interest they would charge. A figure of 4002 was agreed then the letter recieved had additional amounts.

My husband was a serving soldier at the time and was stationed in Saudi Arabia and until receiving his army pension was not above the threshold.

Any advice on appealing would be helpful

Thanks in advance
    Mortgage
    June 2011 145,943.13
    Dec 16 74,537; Feb
    Aug 17 59,399.96
    • theBigHouse
    • By theBigHouse 29th Jan 19, 10:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    theBigHouse
    george is a total wa...r
    Its george Osborne we should all be going after, not each other.
    That chinless wonder wouldn't know a hard days work if it hit him on the face.
    I work my arze off, out of the house 11-12 hours a day, check emails out of hours etc. Why do I have to pay more tax for that !!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

1,729Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • 10 ways you should act now to beat April bill shocks - council tax UP, stamp prices UP, TV licence UP, energy bills? https://t.co/WiOWiogCCA

• I have a confession to make... I think I now prefer Young Sheldon to The Big Bang Theory (or at least to the recent series). Am I alone?

• RT @TDHPhotography: Thank you @MartinSLewis After seeing your show on Council tax exemption for severe mental disorders, after a brief batt?

• Follow Martin