Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
    • SMCG
    • By SMCG 2nd Nov 18, 11:37 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    SMCG
    I am boycotting "SPOONS" as the owner is too outspoken about our country leaving the European Union. He won't stock anything from Europe but will stock things from USA and Australia? Boycot this dump.
    • SuperPikachu
    • By SuperPikachu 2nd Nov 18, 3:47 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    SuperPikachu
    I am boycotting "SPOONS" as the owner is too outspoken about our country leaving the European Union. He won't stock anything from Europe but will stock things from USA and Australia? Boycot this dump.
    Originally posted by SMCG
    Yes but app or bar?

I just go to the bar although my sister loves the app.
    "Wild Pikachu appeared!"
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 2nd Nov 18, 9:22 PM
    • 15,370 Posts
    • 31,822 Thanks
    Sleazy
    He (Tim Martin) is outspoken, but no more so than many 'remainers'.
    He has the same right to voice his opinion as they do. That's democracy.

Bar for me btw, but only because I like to pay cash and I can't tailor food orders on the app.
    Weekly Distance Walked 22 km / Total For Year 344 km
    Anything posted here falls under The Official Secret Eater's Act
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 3rd Nov 18, 3:09 PM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 47,689 Thanks
    Barny1979
    I'm a remainer, however I like what Spoons give for the value and consistency. I enjoy reading the magazine, but swiftly skip his section and the Brexit chapters.
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs
    MFW Challenge 2019 - 200/1809
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 3rd Nov 18, 3:23 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 6,267 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the tension that using the app causes, as this seems to take priority over those at the bar, who have probably been waiting a lot longer and some people get very angry about this (and before anyone says: not everyone uses apps).

It reminds me of going to a takeaway and then having to wait while the person serving stops taking your order to answer the phone for a phone order! It just doesn't seem very British to my mind.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 7th Nov 18, 4:59 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 4,168 Thanks
    coffeehound
    I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the tension that using the app causes, as this seems to take priority over those at the bar, who have probably been waiting a lot longer and some people get very angry about this
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Must say I use the app mainly to avoid the argy-bargy at the bar. If Tim Martin starts introducing a proper queuing system-- and people have asked for that in his magazine-- I'll be happy to order at the bar again.
    • redux
    • By redux 9th Nov 18, 1:40 AM
    • 18,863 Posts
    • 25,370 Thanks
    redux
    I'm not consciously boycotting it, but it so happens I've never been there.

When Mr Martin threatened to buy less European beer, I looked on the website at what beers were in the nearest pub.

In my county with plenty of breweries with products worth exploring (no, I know only a small fraction), Wetherspoons seem to have a remarkable shortage of British beers.

This doesn't seem to live up to his own rhetoric about using British products.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 9th Nov 18, 9:40 AM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 4,168 Thanks
    coffeehound
    In my county with plenty of breweries with products worth exploring (no, I know only a small fraction), Wetherspoons seem to have a remarkable shortage of British beers.
    Originally posted by redux
    There are typically eight UK ales on hand pumps; perhaps those aren't listed on the local pub websites as they change regularly. Of the bottles and cans that may originally be or sound foreign, many are either British or brewed in the UK.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Nov 18, 1:37 PM
    • 35,008 Posts
    • 21,376 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I'm not consciously boycotting it, but it so happens I've never been there.

When Mr Martin threatened to buy less European beer, I looked on the website at what beers were in the nearest pub.

This doesn't seem to live up to his own rhetoric about using British products.
    The guest pump stuff is not on the websites.

this is the list for Sept to Nov any pub can order these 50+ beers and any local breweries willing to sell to them

http://d1i2hi5dlrpq5n.cloudfront.net/~/media/files/pdf-documents/events-2018/ale-tasting-notes--september--november.pdf
    • redux
    • By redux 9th Nov 18, 6:13 PM
    • 18,863 Posts
    • 25,370 Thanks
    redux
    About those last two replies, I stand corrected, but perhaps the firm is missing out a bit of marketing by not having such info more easily visible.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Nov 18, 6:50 PM
    • 35,008 Posts
    • 21,376 Thanks
    getmore4less
    About those last two replies, I stand corrected, but perhaps the firm is missing out a bit of marketing by not having such info more easily visible.
    JDW promote as an real ale place with Camra.
    you get 20 of 50p vouchers to use in spoons as part of the 25 fee

Most Ale drinkers are familiar with the message.

As well as the quarterly list and local suppliers they have 2 real ale festivals every year with 30-50 beers available.

Problem is the pubs can be very variable in their ability and sale volume so some are so useless they get avoided by the Ale drinkers.

we have 2 near us that are terrible and one that is kind of OK and another 25mins away that is good but too far to visit on a regular basis.
    • Ali2000
    • By Ali2000 21st Nov 18, 2:30 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ali2000
    I'd say app all the time, it is quicker and you dont have to stand waiting at the bar. Just make sure you put the right table number in
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 21st Nov 18, 10:04 PM
    • 5,340 Posts
    • 11,970 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    At the fox on the hill (Denmark Hill) the app tends to be quicker when it's busy. Sometimes they put on more bar staff when there's a queue though at bar service is fast.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • Zinger549
    • By Zinger549 21st Nov 18, 10:05 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Zinger549
    Used the app the other week to order food + drinks. Found the app quite easy to use. Someone wanted beans instead of peas with there order but couldn't seem to do it. He had to go to the bar and order his. Can only order regular beers not able to choose guest ales. It seemed to take to get our food than normal although it was a Friday night so pub was busy.
    addict
    Come on you Irons
    • dawid1914
    • By dawid1914 22nd Nov 18, 12:18 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dawid1914
    deffo app, used to work there when it got busy we'd call up the head office and request them to turn it off for the evening as it really took its toll on the bar.
    • crispy duck
    • By crispy duck 22nd Nov 18, 3:43 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    crispy duck
    Umm surely as I can customise my order at the bar, Why did you not think of this when developing the app. Bad IT.
    Originally posted by calleyw
    It's not "Bad IT" - the people developing the app don't sit there deciding what features to add to the app themselves - they are given a list of requirements for the app. If the lack of ability to make subsitutions in the app is a problem, it's a problem with the people in the business who decide what features the app should have.
    • leesa_fairy
    • By leesa_fairy 19th Dec 18, 2:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leesa_fairy
    It depends what pub I'm in, some are great with the app others are not. Some don't allow the app.

We ordered a drink at one in the NEC Birmingham but it never arrived so enquired at the bar who told us last orders had already been called and their tills were off. They said they would refund my friend but couldn't print a refund receipt as the tills were off...it was 5.50pm on a Sunday and there were still 50 people easily in the pub!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

74Posts Today

2,221Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • 10 ways you should act now to beat April bill shocks - council tax UP, stamp prices UP, TV licence UP, energy bills? https://t.co/WiOWiogCCA

• I have a confession to make... I think I now prefer Young Sheldon to The Big Bang Theory (or at least to the recent series). Am I alone?

• RT @TDHPhotography: Thank you @MartinSLewis After seeing your show on Council tax exemption for severe mental disorders, after a brief batt?

• Follow Martin