Van barricading me

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Really? Good luck with that.

My local council does. I've known it happen.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does the van have a name on the side eg a businesss name it belongs too ? Maybe call them.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    If it is parked on the driveway then that is private property so neither the police nor the council will be interested.

If he is blocking the pavement then you call Crimestoppers or the police.

Put a notice on the door saying 'Do not block. Access required at all times.'
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    LadyDee wrote: »
    My local council does. I've known it happen.

Most will not though.
  • Nookie5
    Nookie5 Posts: 25 Forumite
    There's no footpath, just a driveway and after that it's the pavement and then the main road. When the van is parked The van's large enough if it parked away from the front door it'll be partially obstructing the pavement. At least people can still sqeeze past in the pavement or cross the other side of the road to continue. When the van is parked like half an inch from the front door I'm literally stuck inside with no way out unless I break the ground floor's side door into the empty shop floor and then manage to break the shop floor's front door lock and also the shutter's lock to get out. I obviously can't push the van out of the way... There's already a no parking allowed sign and it's just ignored. Also no contact details on the van itself, no logos etc. All I have is the plate number.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nookie5 wrote: »
    There this huge van that keeps blocking the exit, parked right next to the door which is the only exit

It's happened twice so far, first time parked two inch from the door and I managed to sqeeze through, the second time I couldn't get out at all and was forced to call in sick at work.

Have a word with someone from your local neighbourhood policing team - if you had a medical emergency, no-one would be able to get in to help you - if there was a fire in the building, you wouldn't be able to evacuate.

You shouldn't be trapped in a building by an inconsiderate parker.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Nookie5 wrote: »
    There's no footpath, just a driveway and after that it's the pavement and then the main road. When the van is parked The van's large enough if it parked away from the front door it'll be partially obstructing the pavement. At least people can still sqeeze past in the pavement or cross the other side of the road to continue. When the van is parked like half an inch from the front door I'm literally stuck inside with no way out unless I break the ground floor's side door into the empty shop floor and then manage to break the shop floor's front door lock and also the shutter's lock to get out. I obviously can't push the van out of the way... There's already a no parking allowed sign and it's just ignored. Also no contact details on the van itself, no logos etc. All I have is the plate number.

Have you put notes on explaining that the door is in use and they are blocking you?

I'd personally put MANY notes on so they cant claim one has blown off, under wipers, door handle etc.

if they continued after my notes then, sadly my opening the door onto their van would cause a lot of damage I couldnt help...
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 November 2018 at 12:26PM
    Woolco wrote: »
    You think the police will deal with this?

This is NOT the correct answer is 2018.

They are the only people who can identify the owners quickly.

It's such an obvious solution I wonder why the op hasnt already done it..

If even this doesn't work, I'd suggest a method that is very effective.
    Stick a large notice over the windscreen , on the drivers side ,with very strong glue .
    They won't Park there again.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If they can't get out of the building they're not going to be sticking signs on the windscreen... although a dent where you'd clearly attempted to open the door ought to have gotten the message across! I'd call the police and/or fire brigade. Non emergency number but it is serious, you can't trap people in a building like that for the reasons already mentioned. I'd hope the police tow it/contact the owner fairly swiftly.

How long does it stay? Have you tried waiting until the driver comes back and having a word?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    If they can't get out of the building they're not going to be sticking signs on the windscreen... although a dent where you'd clearly attempted to open the door ought to have gotten the message across! I'd call the police and/or fire brigade. Non emergency number but it is serious, you can't trap people in a building like that for the reasons already mentioned. I'd hope the police tow it/contact the owner fairly swiftly.

How long does it stay? Have you tried waiting until the driver comes back and having a word?

Don't worry guys, I think things have resolved...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5921059
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport