Wetherspoons - quicker to order at the bar or app?

Comments

• SMCG wrote: »
    I am boycotting "SPOONS" as the owner is too outspoken about our country leaving the European Union. He won't stock anything from Europe but will stock things from USA and Australia? Boycot this dump.

Yes but app or bar?

I just go to the bar although my sister loves the app.
  • SMCG wrote: »
    I am boycotting "SPOONS" as the owner is too outspoken about our country leaving the European Union. He won't stock anything from Europe but will stock things from USA and Australia? Boycot this dump.

He (Tim Martin) is outspoken, but no more so than many 'remainers'.
    He has the same right to voice his opinion as they do. That's democracy.

Bar for me btw, but only because I like to pay cash and I can't tailor food orders on the app.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    SMCG wrote: »

I'm a remainer, however I like what Spoons give for the value and consistency. I enjoy reading the magazine, but swiftly skip his section and the Brexit chapters.
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the tension that using the app causes, as this seems to take priority over those at the bar, who have probably been waiting a lot longer and some people get very angry about this (and before anyone says: not everyone uses apps).

It reminds me of going to a takeaway and then having to wait while the person serving stops taking your order to answer the phone for a phone order! It just doesn't seem very British to my mind.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,671 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Spidernick wrote: »
    I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the tension that using the app causes, as this seems to take priority over those at the bar, who have probably been waiting a lot longer and some people get very angry about this

Must say I use the app mainly to avoid the argy-bargy at the bar. If Tim Martin starts introducing a proper queuing system-- and people have asked for that in his magazine-- I'll be happy to order at the bar again.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    SMCG wrote: »

I'm not consciously boycotting it, but it so happens I've never been there.

When Mr Martin threatened to buy less European beer, I looked on the website at what beers were in the nearest pub.

In my county with plenty of breweries with products worth exploring (no, I know only a small fraction), Wetherspoons seem to have a remarkable shortage of British beers.

This doesn't seem to live up to his own rhetoric about using British products.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,671 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    redux wrote: »
    In my county with plenty of breweries with products worth exploring (no, I know only a small fraction), Wetherspoons seem to have a remarkable shortage of British beers.

There are typically eight UK ales on hand pumps; perhaps those aren't listed on the local pub websites as they change regularly. Of the bottles and cans that may originally be or sound foreign, many are either British or brewed in the UK.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I'm not consciously boycotting it, but it so happens I've never been there.

When Mr Martin threatened to buy less European beer, I looked on the website at what beers were in the nearest pub.

This doesn't seem to live up to his own rhetoric about using British products.

The guest pump stuff is not on the websites.

this is the list for Sept to Nov any pub can order these 50+ beers and any local breweries willing to sell to them

http://d1i2hi5dlrpq5n.cloudfront.net/~/media/files/pdf-documents/events-2018/ale-tasting-notes--september--november.pdf
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    About those last two replies, I stand corrected, but perhaps the firm is missing out a bit of marketing by not having such info more easily visible.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    About those last two replies, I stand corrected, but perhaps the firm is missing out a bit of marketing by not having such info more easily visible.

JDW promote as an real ale place with Camra.
    you get £20 of 50p vouchers to use in spoons as part of the £25 fee

Most Ale drinkers are familiar with the message.

As well as the quarterly list and local suppliers they have 2 real ale festivals every year with 30-50 beers available.

Problem is the pubs can be very variable in their ability and sale volume so some are so useless they get avoided by the Ale drinkers.

we have 2 near us that are terrible and one that is kind of OK and another 25mins away that is good but too far to visit on a regular basis.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure