Moorcroft group letter

HI
I am sorry if I a, in the wrong thread
I just received a letter from moorcroft, and can figure it out what for. tried to call them but no awnser.
I pay everything by direct debit so not usre whre my debt come from? and where did they get my name and address?
should I just ignorted it?

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 16 May 2018 at 11:45AM
    DFW is probably the best place for anything debt-related - and it is where you might well find the most practical advice.

Calling debt collectors is generally a very bad idea as they will invariably just try to browbeat the money out of you, whether you owe it or not - they simply do not care. Moorcroft are one of the worst for this and In an industry of active bottom-feeders, amongst the lowest of the lot.

Sending them a "prove-it" letter is a much better option - More details in various places in DFW. They have to respond and they don't get to mine any more personal data from you (they will try to get all they can if you phone them) and if they don't/can't respond, there there is a very good chance they are just chancing their arm on some ancient and uncollectible or even statute-barred pittance on an old phone contract or similar or even just looking for someone else with a similar name to you.
  • Did they not state it in the letter?

Either way, you need to speak to them as you dont want to risk a CCJ in the future. It happened to me with an old water bill. The number is 0330 123 9765
  • pogofish
    Forumite
    DO NOT call them - Keep it all on paper/provable from now-on!

Esp if you don't think you owe anything - These vermin really do not care, so long as they get money somehow.
  • maxmycardagain
    maxmycardagain Posts: 5,743
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i had Moorcroft, who do they work for?
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • i had Moorcroft, who do they work for?

Various places max...buy up large ammounts of debts for pennies and see what they can get in return
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • pogofish
    Forumite
    edited 17 May 2018 at 12:12PM
    i had Moorcroft, who do they work for?

IME they are most associated with various phone companies, notably O2 and they are on the list of collectors used by HMRC to pursue their most intractable debts. And that's as fine a selection of shonky operators as I've ever seen..!

https://www.gov.uk/if-you-dont-pay-your-tax-bill/debt-collection-agencies
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Moorcroft do not buy debts any longer.

They only manage accounts for there client banks.

If you dont recognise the debt they are chasing, send the provit letter to them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • faborson
    faborson Posts: 12 Forumite
    thanks all for your messages
    it was from EE! my contract ended but because I didnt transfer my mobile number they resintate my contract?? honestly they get away with murder these scammers.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,298
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    faborson wrote: »
    thanks all for your messages
    it was from EE! my contract ended but because I didnt transfer my mobile number they resintate my contract?? honestly they get away with murder these scammers.

That's really your fault. After your minimum term ends on a phone contract, it doesn't automatically close, it goes on in a month by month rolling contract. You have to give them notice of cancellation. Porting your number over can also cancel your contract. But if you just get the PAC code and not action it. Then the phone contract will stay open. I would have thought that would be obvious.

Anyway, just replying because my MIL got shafted with saladmaster, I pleaded with her not to get it, it was waaaay overpriced. But the saladmaster virus inftected her community group and she got pressured by all her community club friends to get it, because a few of them had it and they pestered everyone constantly to get it.

So she ends up with £2000 worth of pots and pans, missed one payment and they referred her immediately to moorcroft group. No second chances, no "hey we missed a payment, can you make a manual payment now". Just straight up referral to a debt collector.

The products are probably overpriced by 10x, their margins are huge, but they still dont give you the curtosy of dealing with it in a dignified manner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure