Could really use some advice

Comments

• Toadstool
    Toadstool Posts: 9 Forumite
    She isnt budging in anything. She was stung by a previous husband who gambled everything you see...
  • Toadstool
    Toadstool Posts: 9 Forumite
    Also the grocery costs include all household cleaning products, laundry,etc...
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Toadstool wrote: »
    Also the grocery costs include all household cleaning products, laundry,etc...

As does mine...

At the end of the day, your partner is going to either help you out in terms of the amount you pay towards the home (so you can increase your debt repayments) or let you go on the token payment plan.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • onedaysomeday
    onedaysomeday Posts: 561 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Uniform Washer PPI Party Pooper
    It does kind of sound like she either needs to let you get on with your token payment route or give you some slack in the home costs, kind of has to be one or the other!
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Toadstool wrote: »
    She isnt budging in anything. She was stung by a previous husband who gambled everything you see...

I totally understand that. However, she is going to get stung by your credit record and no new house if she doesn't budge a bit....
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    anna_1977 wrote: »
    I totally understand that. However, she is going to get stung by your credit record and no new house if she doesn't budge a bit....

How will she get stung by the OP's credit files?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Do you split all bills 50/50 including her mortgage ie are the total household bills £1k per month, and are the children yours?

Ultimately you've got more coming out than you do coming in and that's not sustainable regardless of what 'er indoors wants. Even leaving the debt to one side you've got a monthly shortfall of £124 some of which you could make up by reducing the grocery spending and mobile phone. Unless you expect your situation to change in the very near future then like it or not a DMP seems like the best way forward.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Why are you paying for all the groceries when there's 4 of you eating them?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • cms-help
    cms-help Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Has your partner seen these figures? If she won't budge on you contributing less or "allow" a repayment plan then ask her what suggestion she has for balancing the books?

I can't see where you can shave almost £400 a month from your budget for the next 8 months. You could save some by maybe saving £100 on groceries (explain to her you will be down-branding to the value ranges etc), £10 on clothing, £30 on other travel if not essential etc but it's not going to add up to the £400 shortfall.

Unless the household costs add up to significantly more than £1000 then it makes no sense why you buy all the food.

At the end of the day, she needs to understand you're not shirking the responsibility but that this is a temporary set-back until you are well and back at work.
  • I would try and shave £150 off your outgoings, go down to own brands and bulk cook etc and then try and see if you can go on a payment plan. Then come December you can go back to repaying your debt. Good luck.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure