Clarity Credit Card

I have a Clarity Credit from Halifax and have in the past found this to be very good value.

Unfortunately my Credit Limit has been reduced to a rather paltry £75.

I'd like to use the card when I go a broad but obviously £75 is not going to get me far. Does anyone know what would happen if shortly before I left I made a payment to the card? From my perspective "loading" it. Would this allow me spend more that my credit limit or would the payment be rejected or perhaps flagged for money laundering?

(Note: I have recently been using WeSwap and think it is excellent. If you want a referral code for a free £5 then DM me. I will shortly be travelling to Czech Republic, which is one of the countries that WeSwap don't support hence why I need to ise

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If its for a short term (less than 28 days) than nothing will happen and Halifax wont be to bothered
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,378
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    graemec23 wrote: »
    I'd like to use the card when I go a broad but obviously £75 is not going to get me far. Does anyone know what would happen if shortly before I left I made a payment to the card? From my perspective "loading" it. Would this allow me spend more that my credit limit or would the payment be rejected or perhaps flagged for money laundering?
    The above poster may be right about what will actually happen but worth at least being aware of the fact that doing so is in breach of their Ts & Cs, which include:
    You must not pay us more than you owe when you make payments to your account, or transfer funds from another credit or store card if this creates a credit balance on your account.
    Although I don't have any definitive info on this, my suspicion would be that pre-loading as a means of trying to inflate a low credit limit would attract their attention....
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    I wonder if £75 is a serious limit. Sounds like it might be a prelude to closing the account altogether. Years ago Halifax wrote to a cohort of customers (including me) massively reducing limits and then closing accounts a few weeks later. Turned out it was all a terrible mistake and they reopened accounts on request from affected customers.

If I were you, I would look at getting additional cards - eg Santander Zero. Of course if there is an underlying reason for your limit being reduced, you might be unsuccessful.

Clarity works fine in the Czech Republic. The Travellex ATMs at the airport offer "conversion" (to be avoided, of course), but elsewhere as far as I can remember there was no "conversion" option and no extra fees.
  • Fortyfoot
    Fortyfoot Posts: 1,954
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I pre-load my Clarity card quite often. Never had a problem.

Fortyfoot
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Fortyfoot wrote: »
    I pre-load my Clarity card quite often. Never had a problem.

Fortyfoot

Bonne chance!
    It's a breach of the T&Cs.
  • This suggests your credit files are telling Halifax a story they don't want to hear.
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 550
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I would give Halifax a call and see if they can do something with your credit limit.... it's worth a conversation at least?
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    In order for posters to make educated guesses on what's happening, it would be helpful to know what the limit was before. If it was reduced to £75 from £150, it's very different to being reduced to £75 from £1000.
  • LisbonLaura
    LisbonLaura Posts: 1,121
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I often round up to the nearest pound, but this morning I was told off. Paying 5p extra on £616.95 was not allowed:(
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I often round up to the nearest pound, but this morning I was told off. Paying 5p extra on £616.95 was not allowed:(
    How were you making this payment?

Who said you couldn't?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family