PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    Can I join you, keep saying I'm going to try and change things up but always end up with the same things still.
    I've got some mince in, always end up with bolagnese or cottage pie. Can't do chilli or versions of as the kids and hubby don't like it. Any ideas?
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • debtfreeforlife
    Options
    I'd like to join as well, definitely need to add some new dishes to my repertoire. Am at my parents until 4th Jan and find it difficult to cook there as my long-suffering parents are meat eaters and I am veggie (and Dad is scared of foods with weird names so no aubergine for him), but definitely on board from 4th onwards. First meal will be dictated by whatever turns up in the veg box.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    I would love to join in too, I'm cfo so wouldn't be trying something new every week just because some recipes are difficult to reduce down and I usually have leftovers to use up or occupy freezer space.

This past year I have been trying to include more veggie and slow cooker meals in my weekly plans. I also need to get a bit more experimental with fish so I would be aiming to try a couple of "new to me" recipes per month that gives me time to consume the leftovers.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Can I join you, keep saying I'm going to try and change things up but always end up with the same things still.
    I've got some mince in, always end up with bolagnese or cottage pie. Can't do chilli or versions of as the kids and hubby don't like it. Any ideas?

of course Mrs Cheshire great to have you on board. :)

How about meat balls or meatloaf ...no need to add spice if thats not popular. The other thing I love is a mince meat plate pie with a thick gravy ....mmm must do that again soon :)
    I'd like to join as well, definitely need to add some new dishes to my repertoire. Am at my parents until 4th Jan and find it difficult to cook there as my long-suffering parents are meat eaters and I am veggie (and Dad is scared of foods with weird names so no aubergine for him), but definitely on board from 4th onwards. First meal will be dictated by whatever turns up in the veg box.

:rotfl::rotfl: im pretty scared of aubergine myself but will face my fears and give it a go. :D glad you are on board debtfreeforlife :)
    I would love to join in too, I'm cfo so wouldn't be trying something new every week just because some recipes are difficult to reduce down and I usually have leftovers to use up or occupy freezer space.

This past year I have been trying to include more veggie and slow cooker meals in my weekly plans. I also need to get a bit more experimental with fish so I would be aiming to try a couple of "new to me" recipes per month that gives me time to consume the leftovers.

Im with you need2bthrifty. Im cooking for one too although I have given up trying to scale down recipes so do cook for the freezer or sometimes for my mum who needs some proper food. My favourite day is usually a sunday where I hit the kitchen for a cookathon but have become very samey so my challenge is to choose at least one new to me recipe on my cookathon. Hope to join you in the fish challenge too I love fish but dont really have a good place to buy it locally ...there is a morrisons near mums that seems pretty good so I have no excuse
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll join in if I may. I've been trying to cook more veggie meals so I'll be using the Anna Jones cookbooks I got last year. I'm also enjoying middle eastern flavours because hey are spicy without too much heat and DD bought me Saffron for Christmas so I want to try something from that.
  • Nelski
    Options
    snoozer wrote: »
    I'll join in if I may. I've been trying to cook more veggie meals so I'll be using the Anna Jones cookbooks I got last year. I'm also enjoying middle eastern flavours because hey are spicy without too much heat and DD bought me Saffron for Christmas so I want to try something from that.

Just had a look snoozer they look lovely recipes :j

Isn't saffron more valuable pound for pound than gold? thats a good pressy :D
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    Think I might join to. Although I have a very varied diet it’s almost exclusively cooked on the hob. I’d like to do more in the oven.
    Last cookbooks bought were “Eataly - Contemporary Italian Cooking” & “Vegan” both published by Phaidon. Have around 150 mostly newish cookbooks.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    Im with you need2bthrifty. Hope to join you in the fish challenge too I love fish but dont really have a good place to buy it locally ...there is a morrisons near mums that seems pretty good so I have no excuse

I know, the supermarkets have killed off nearly all the good fish shops around here my nearest is 5mls in one direction another 12mls opposite way and I stopped buying supermarket fish counter stuff when the cat refused to eat it :rotfl: but I do buy frozen salmon and haddock fillets as a standby but you just cant beat fresh fish imo :).
  • Nelski
    Options
    Think I might join to. Although I have a very varied diet it’s almost exclusively cooked on the hob. I’d like to do more in the oven.
    Last cookbooks bought were “Eataly - Contemporary Italian Cooking” & “Vegan” both published by Phaidon. Have around 150 mostly newish cookbooks.

:wave: hi mr singleton

I think I have recognised the problem with me and this thread...every time you all mention a book I google then want it too :rotfl: hey ho I will get some more shelves :cool: 150 is pretty impressive Mr S :D
  • Nelski
    Options
    I know, the supermarkets have killed off nearly all the good fish shops around here my nearest is 5mls in one direction another 12mls opposite way and I stopped buying supermarket fish counter stuff when the cat refused to eat it :rotfl: but I do buy frozen salmon and haddock fillets as a standby but you just cant beat fresh fish imo :).

if I could I would move to a cute little cottage with a view of a harbour and fresh fish caught daily, now that is living not fussy where but the seafood would have to be good :) Sadly will have to be happy with morrisons for now :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure