The mindful MFW: A healthy, happy journey to a mortgage free life!

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,881 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Belated Happy Birthday MW!

The Ritz sounds amazing, and extra money well spent - you won't forget that experience in a hurry!

KM - eating out (and in) is one of my favourite pastimes, but sometimes I feel that you're not allowed to say that on here!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Happy belated birthday :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Happy belated birthday! I hope you enjoyed tea at the Ritz! My mother took me there for my 40th....sadly it was a bit of a waste as a) I don't drink tea at all and b) I was going through the classic "divorce diet" whereby I didn't actually eat anything.

We ended up bringing a doggy bag home - not really the plan!! It was a nice thought from her, of course, just poor timing (and I don't drink tea!!).
  • museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks all for the birthday wishes, much appreciated. Everyone is always welcome to talk about eating out (and in!) here, it's one of life's greatest pleasures.

YS pork in slow cooker for a Persian style pork, apricot and tamarind stew tonight. Tamarind was v expensive in supermarket though :eek: so will buy some from one of the ethnic supermarket to have in stock.

Forgot my travelcard yesterday so £4.50 spent unnecessarily on travel :mad:. Have definitely got it this morning though. Lunch is leftovers and snacks from cupboards.

Plan to cycle home tonight, using new lights bought with vouchers. They are rechargeable too so should be cheap to run :money:.

I have been sent a £20 off £40 spend for fleabay - any suggestions on what to buy much appreciated! Have relisted my fleabay items so will definitely get £20 at end of month from that endeavour. Have also dropped the price to see if can get a sale too!

DD1 struggling to meet an important deadline for her music exchange so have emailed the organiser to ask her to intervene. Fingers crossed she gets it done as she's very stressed and exhibits extremely challenging behaviour when under pressure. Read: she made me cry before bed last night.

To do:
    * claim travel expenses from last week
    * walk 10k steps
    * cycle home
    * stick to allocated food
    * check current account and update YNAB
    * call BT to check phone line ok to go
    * make sure Amex set up to auto deduct full amount
    * put in DD1 prescription
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • The joys of being a parent, eh!

The Persian style pork sounds fab. I often do a chicken, chickpea and apricot tagine type thing. I love that sort of cooking, slow cooked, and full of flavour. My slow cooker definitely gets a lot of use! I made a massive amount of pulled pork in it recently from a YS joint. It was amazing, if I say so myself, and we put loads of portions in the freezer - ideal with jacket potatoes!
  • museumworker
    edited 11 October 2017 at 7:21PM
    Happy belated birthday! I hope you enjoyed tea at the Ritz! My mother took me there for my 40th....sadly it was a bit of a waste as a) I don't drink tea at all and b) I was going through the classic "divorce diet" whereby I didn't actually eat anything.

We ended up bringing a doggy bag home - not really the plan!! It was a nice thought from her, of course, just poor timing (and I don't drink tea!!).

Oh my, that sounds memorable for all the wrong reasons! We had a lunch instead of tea, I would recommend. It was a T!me 0ut deal I bought last year and was definitely good value - my MIL paid the same for afternoon tea there the other week as we paid for 3 courses and a glass of champagne (as well as the bread, amuse bouche, petit fours and the birthday cake!)
    The joys of being a parent, eh!

The Persian style pork sounds fab. I often do a chicken, chickpea and apricot tagine type thing. I love that sort of cooking, slow cooked, and full of flavour. My slow cooker definitely gets a lot of use! I made a massive amount of pulled pork in it recently from a YS joint. It was amazing, if I say so myself, and we put loads of portions in the freezer - ideal with jacket potatoes!

I need to do more SC recipes so please do point me in the way of any crowd pleasers. This has turned out really well, just topped with some toasted almonds and will have with cabbage and rice when kids in bed.

Today I have:
    * walked probably about 8K steps - I left my Fitbit at home so have to guess :rotfl:
    * ate mostly from planned snacks - did have one additional orange, cashew and cocoa snack bar and a small bite of DD1's vegan birthday cake, so 200 extra calories or so. Not awful, but not perfect. Can I blame a major slump in energy in the office?
    * cycled home from work - was a great route, had to literally force myself to do it but once on the road had more energy than I thought, and think I can get it down to 1 hr 10 ish. Am thinking of cycling in tomorrow morning I enjoyed it so much :D.
    * claimed travel expenses :T
    * updated YNAB
    * received already money from friends for dinner I booked for Friday night - out for after work drinks followed by lovely 4 course dinner with cocktail, the dinner part is paid for via pocket money and I've sent them both a link for a free P&P cocktail :money:. I have a healthy £105 in my pocket money this month, so can even afford a round too. ;)
    * BT messaged to say phone now set up (bit creeped out that they may be stalking me on this diary :rotfl:)
    * completed Amex auto deduction form. Now just need to post it :o

Carried over til tomorrow:
    * DD1 prescription
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Well done on your cycling. I can never be bothered to do stuff but feel great when I do and rubbish when I don't! You also get to eat guilt free cake which is waaay better than ordinary cake:rotfl:

Hope DD1 got over herself. Good job we love them isn't it?:D
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • museumworker
    I love the responses from experienced mothers who really GET what having a teenager is like. It makes up for all the 'making memories' 'collecting beautiful moments' parenting I keep hearing on social media which sometimes feels a million miles away from my actual life.

Don't think I can face cycling in today :o will concentrate on my steps instead.
  • Today's ta da! list:

• Collect parcels
    • Send thank yous for gifts
    • Stick to allocated food
    • Hit 10K steps
    • Listen to free audiobook
    • Buy notebook with money off voucher (pocket money)
    • Order new set of phone chargers and cables to make up for fact that mine have gone missing, using last of vouchers (I have my suspicions who might have taken them!)
    • Put in DD1 prescription
    • DS parents evening
    • Dinner: LO chilli with jackets
    • Collect DD1 from free theatre trip
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,881 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Impressive list! You fit so much in in a day!

I'm glad it's okay to talk about eating here - as you say, one of life's great pleasures! (I guess some people don't see it as such, so they'd rather save the money - different strokes for different folks).

Hope DD1 improves!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure