Travelodge: -Never- book breakfast before you stay

I've recently been stung by the cowboys at Travelodge regarding a breakfast booking on one of their saver rates.

They make the fact that the hotel booking is non-refundable (they don't even refund it when you find urine on the bed sheets btw), but at no stage do they make it clear that any extras you bought in advance also wouldn't be refundable.

The only place it states this is hidden in their terms and conditions just before you confirm your payment, and even then it isn't clear as it just says 'extras' and isn't explicit as to what any of them are.

I imagine this also includes wifi, car parking, late checkout, early check-in, and any additional booking fee for card payments.

Besides them hiding that this is also not refundable, the thing I find abominable more than anything is that you can purchase all of these extras on the day at the exact same rate. There is NO benefit to buying these in advance. So to not refund this is criminal IMO.

On Travelodge's normal rates, you need to cancel before noon on the first day to get a refund, so I'd assume you also can't cancel breakfast for a refund after this point. But again - there is no financial benefit to this anyway, so little point booking in advance.

I'm reporting this to trading standards as well as it is deceptive and adequately ambiguous that it is clearly done to scam you of your money, so if anyone has advice on this, I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You mean you don't get 5* service in a travelodge? Shock, horror.
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You mean you don't get 5* service in a travelodge? Shock, horror.

Not sure you've read my post, but not to worry. Thanks for taking the time to reply, though.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you really want advice -- Read the terms and conditions, if you don't understand them - ask!
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Clearly states:

As Saver Rate bookings are at discounted rates these bookings are not refundable in whole or in part. You can still cancel your booking via our website by selecting Cancel a booking or by calling our Central Reservations team if you are unable to use all or any part of it but we will not provide a refund on the room(s), any Extras purchased with the booking or any booking fee.

Taken from https://www.travelodge.co.uk/terms-conditions#cancellation
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • tain
    When you say 'clearly' do you mean that the word 'extras' is used, or that it clearly says 'breakfast'?

Does it say these things before purchase, or at the time of purchase?
  • tain
    I'm really not looking for people to point out where I went wrong. Find something better to do with your time.

My point is very clear: There is no financial benefit to purchasing any extras before you visit the hotel. In doing so, you may lose the money for all of them. So don't even consider it when booking with Travelodge.
  • tain
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    If you really want advice -- Read the terms and conditions, if you don't understand them - ask!

Strange. I never asked for your advice, but here you are telling me I wanted it!
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    tain wrote: »
    When you say 'clearly' do you mean that the word 'extras' is used, or that it clearly says 'breakfast'?

Does it say these things before purchase, or at the time of purchase?

At the top of the page where you add breakfast it says

Customise your stay

Save time today with our extras
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    tain wrote: »
    so if anyone has advice on this, I'd appreciate it.

Strange I thought you were asking for advice, my mistake.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • tain
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Strange I thought you were asking for advice, my mistake.

Indeed it is. Thanks for taking the time to reply first though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure