Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• fox_warrior
    fox_warrior Posts: 87 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2018 at 9:46AM
    I eagerly waited for the MSE big switch number 9 but was disappointed for me as it doesn't save me enough money to warrant a switch to a different provider . However I noticed Octopus has a tariff that could save me £40 so I emailed them to ask if it was available to existing customers. I got a quick reply as always and, yes it's available to existing customers and was advised to use the MSE link to switch tariffs and I'll get £25 cash back. No brainer.
    Thanks for reading. Live long & prosper
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Am I missing something? I took the Iresa Flex4 switch last year - this year there are a few small companies coming up saying I can save £20-30 a year...

But everyone is now on about Octopus, but even Iresa's Flex5 is cheaper this year still - why are people still going for Octopus when it's slightly more expensive? Or is it really that great service you don't mind paying an extra £5pm for gas/electric?

Even with £50 cashback switching to Octopus, it would cost me £60 over 12 months as I would be paying £5 more a month...
  • Sparx wrote: »
    Am I missing something? I took the Iresa Flex4 switch last year - this year there are a few small companies coming up saying I can save £20-30 a year...

But everyone is now on about Octopus, but even Iresa's Flex5 is cheaper this year still - why are people still going for Octopus when it's slightly more expensive? Or is it really that great service you don't mind paying an extra £5pm for gas/electric?

Even with £50 cashback switching to Octopus, it would cost me £60 over 12 months as I would be paying £5 more a month...

Iresa flex 5 is only £4 a year cheaper than Octopus for me. The reviews for customer rating are poor for Iresa MSE Customer Service Rating: 39% Great, 17% Okay, 44% Poor (140 votes). Octopus is - 90% rated it 'great' and only 3% 'poor' (177 votes). Your answer might be in there.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is it possible to use a referral code for Octopus, for the £50 cashback, and also switch to the MSE BigSwitch 9 Octopus 14th Month fixed contract ?

Or is that 14th month contract only available without using a £50 referral code ?
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    I eagerly waited for the MSE big switch number 9 but was disappointed for me as it doesn't save me enough money to warrant a switch to a different provider . However I noticed Octopus has a tariff that could save me £40 so I emailed them to ask if it was available to existing customers. I got a quick reply as always and, yes it's available to existing customers and was advised to use the MSE link to switch tariffs and I'll get £25 cash back. No brainer.

Hi Fox Warrior

I'm afraid it seems like there must be some crossed wires here. Octopus doesn't let us help you change tariffs with it outside of the collective tariff. On our results page, you'll see a 'Go to Site' button, meaning you have to arrange the switch directly with Octopus. Unfortunately this means you'd not be eligible for cashback for a Octopus-Octopus non-collective switch.

Thanks
  • MSE_Dan_L
    Is it possible to use a referral code for Octopus, for the £50 cashback, and also switch to the MSE BigSwitch 9 Octopus 14th Month fixed contract ?

Or is that 14th month contract only available without using a £50 referral code ?

Hi ASavvyBuyer

I'm afraid this isn't possible. The MSE 14M tariff is only available via Cheap Energy Club, so it isn't possible to incorporate with a separate referral code.
  • MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    Hi Fox Warrior

I'm afraid it seems like there must be some crossed wires here. Octopus doesn't let us help you change tariffs with it outside of the collective tariff. On our results page, you'll see a 'Go to Site' button, meaning you have to arrange the switch directly with Octopus. Unfortunately this means you'd not be eligible for cashback for a Octopus-Octopus non-collective switch.

Thanks

Looks like something is odd. Here's my chain of events. I got the big switch email. I logged in to my cheap energy club account. It shows my current provider to be Octopus and my tariff is Green Octopus Fixed 12M April 2017 v1. I clicked on the "Compare other tariffs" link. The results page came up. I noticed that Octopus, who I'm currently with, have a cheaper tariff. There was a "Switch and get cash back" link there. I emailed Octopus as follows,

" Hi, I'm currently on your Green Octopus tariff, account number *********. (Bill Reference: ********* (14th Jan. 2018). I've just been checking out the MSE Cheap Energy Club big switch and I can see a cheaper tariff than mine. It's MSE Octopus 14 month fixed. Is this tariff available for me to switch to"?

I got a reply as follows,

Yes this tariff is available to existing customers! All you need to do is sign up through the MSE link they have sent you and we will update your account. Signing up through the link will also qualify you for £25 cash back.
    Kind Regards,
    Jordan at Octopus Energy

I went back to my cheap energy club account, clicked the switch link. That took me to the page for me to fill in with the usual information that I get when switching providers. I'm not switching providers but that was the page that came up . I filled in the usual, name, contact details, bank account details etc, clicked the (I think it was) "Continue" button and away it went. I got the congratulations your switch is in progress email. My cheap energy club account shows "Switch in progress" as do all the switch links on my results page. From my end it looks like the switch is going through the same as any other switch I've done, even though I'm just switching tariffs with my current provider.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 January 2018 at 6:31PM
    “ Is it possible to use a referral code for Octopus, for the £50 cashback, and also switch to the MSE BigSwitch 9 Octopus 14th Month fixed contract ?

Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer

MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    Hi ASavvyBuyer

I'm afraid this isn't possible. The MSE 14M tariff is only available via Cheap Energy Club, so it isn't possible to incorporate with a separate referral code.

Thanks Dan.

However, worth noting that Octopus have the same rates available on a fixed contract for 12 months (instead of 14 months) and you are able to use a £50 referral code. So works out as an even better deal.

It is worth checking the Referrals board for available links.

Must say, when helping an older relative to sign up to Octopus is was very easy, quick email response, and account already set up ready for switch over next month.

Just hope that the repayment of excess credit from Iresa does not take ages!
  • MSE_Dan_L
    From my end it looks like the switch is going through the same as any other switch I've done, even though I'm just switching tariffs with my current provider.

Hi Fox Warrior

Just to clarify, you absolutely CAN switch from an Octopus tariff to the 14M MSE collective tariff through CEC. What you can't do is switch from an Octopus tariff to any other Octopus tariff that is freely agreeable. The ability to do the tariff swap for the collective is a special condition we've in place, usually we can't help you change tariff with Octopus.

Hope that helps to reassure you.
  • I've noticed that the on my CEC results page, the British Gas Fixed till 28th Feb 2019 has exit fees of £60. Looking on the British Gas website they have a tariff HomeEnergy Capped Feb 2019 that has exit fees of £20 per fuel making a total of £40. Are these the same tariffs, if so why the difference in exit fess?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure