Travel Money & Foreign Exchange Tips guide

Comments

• I have an iPhone4 and the TMM app doesn't work. I can download it, but as soon as I tap it, it closes down. I don't want to change my phone (I can afford it, but I don't need it, as per the mantas) so do I have an alternative?
  • We are going to Croatia in September, can I use Halifax clarity credit card for purchases in Croatia. I think we will need £1000 for excursions, food, gifts etc but don't want to take all Kunas so though maybe £250 Kunas then the rest on credit card - does this sound reasonable or is there a better way, I don't want to be stuck with currency when I come home
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have an iPhone4 and the TMM app doesn't work. I can download it, but as soon as I tap it, it closes down. I don't want to change my phone (I can afford it, but I don't need it, as per the mantas) so do I have an alternative?
    The main website: http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/
    Evolution, not revolution
  • eDicky
    squeekymoo wrote: »
    We are going to Croatia in September, can I use Halifax clarity credit card for purchases in Croatia. I think we will need £1000 for excursions, food, gifts etc but don't want to take all Kunas so though maybe £250 Kunas then the rest on credit card - does this sound reasonable or is there a better way, I don't want to be stuck with currency when I come home
    Yes, you can use Clarity there, same as anywhere. You can also use it to withdraw local currency from ATMs as needed instead of paying more to purchase the cash before leaving. There is daily interest from withdrawals but it's minimal if you pay off asap.
  • I had understood the Clarity Card to be one of the very cheapest ways of withdrawing cash abroad but i see that the Halifax website halifax.co.uk/travel/help-guidance/using-debit-credit-cards-abroad gives an example where their debit (Visa) card is cheaper to use than their clarity (mastercard) card. This seems to be due to a 11 cent difference between the mastercard settlement rate (1.38 euro per £) and the visa rate (1.27), on the date they chose for the worked example of 1 June 2015. That seems an astonishing variation ! Does anyone have experience of this - and has anyone found the debit card a cheaper option in practice than the Halifax clarity card ? Patrick Precis
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2016 at 12:21PM
    Off to Munich this weekend for a few days but don't have many Euros to play with. I have a Halifax Clarity and a Nationwide Gold Card (doesn't charge for Euro purchases) but I'm not sure which would be best to get cash out of an ATM with. Any advice?

Oh, also, do the ATMs ask whether you want to be charged in £s or Euros?

Edit: Ah, just noticed Gold Card charges 2.5% (minimum £3) for cash withdrawals overseas, so Clarity wins. Still not sure whether I need to select to be charged in Euros though when withdrawing cash?
  • eDicky
    zolablue25 wrote: »
    Still not sure whether I need to select to be charged in Euros though when withdrawing cash?
    Yes, if the ATM offers you 'Conversion' and shows a rate and an amount in pounds, make sure you choose the other option (Without / No Conversion, etc). Then your Clarity does the conversion at the MasterCard rate.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    I had understood the Clarity Card to be one of the very cheapest ways of withdrawing cash abroad but i see that the Halifax website halifax.co.uk/travel/help-guidance/using-debit-credit-cards-abroad gives an example where their debit (Visa) card is cheaper to use than their clarity (mastercard) card. This seems to be due to a 11 cent difference between the mastercard settlement rate (1.38 euro per £) and the visa rate (1.27), on the date they chose for the worked example of 1 June 2015. That seems an astonishing variation ! Does anyone have experience of this - and has anyone found the debit card a cheaper option in practice than the Halifax clarity card ? Patrick Precis

It's a mistake on the website. There is in a fact a year's difference in the comparison.
  • Can i ask a question about the metro debit card? I have recently noticed that their exchange rate doesnt match the mastercard on the day exchange rate when i withdrew cash?

Is this something common? has anyone else noticed it? Am i to start strictly using my clarity credit card? I was using the debit as it was more convenient.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Can i ask a question about the metro debit card? I have recently noticed that their exchange rate doesnt match the mastercard on the day exchange rate when i withdrew cash?

Is this something common? has anyone else noticed it? Am i to start strictly using my clarity credit card? I was using the debit as it was more convenient.

Which country? Post the rates. Together with time and date of transaction. That way we can see if DCC may have taken place.
    SEPA only of course.

When we refer to Europe we regard the countries which are part of the Single European Payments Area (SEPA).

19 EU Euro countries - Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain
    8 EU non-Euro countries - Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Sweden
    2 non-EU, Euro countries – Monaco, San Marino
    4 non-EU, non-Euro countries - Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family