British gas passed details to debt collector for account have already settled

Options
Hi
Really fed up with British gas as after many many phonecalls and reassurances that I had settled my final bill on a previous address I have received a demand from a debt collection agency today.
Phoned BG again and got same apologies and promises to delete this old account. Also phoned debt collection agency and explained situation however they said I will have a negative credit rating now and it's totally dependent on BG sorting this before it will be clean again. As they have messed up too many times before I'm not convinced this will be done. What can I do to make sure my credit rating is not affected?
Thanks

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Weejen30 wrote: »
    Hi
    Really fed up with British gas as after many many phonecalls and reassurances that I had settled my final bill on a previous address I have received a demand from a debt collection agency today.
    Phoned BG again and got same apologies and promises to delete this old account. Also phoned debt collection agency and explained situation however they said I will have a negative credit rating now and it's totally dependent on BG sorting this before it will be clean again. As they have messed up too many times before I'm not convinced this will be done. What can I do to make sure my credit rating is not affected?
    Thanks

Follow this
    http://www.britishgas.co.uk/complaints

When you have written confirmation that the error has been fully rectified, you can check for yourself with the 3 credit reference agencies that no erroneous entry still exists :)

Equifax
    Experian
    Callcredit
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Weejen30, thank you for your query regarding British Gas
    I would suggest you make this a complaint and put it in writing to British Gas and send a copy to the debt collection agency and ask them for a written response stating they have ammended your credit rating to reflect the settled account and that there is nothing owing still. You need to send the complaint by recorded delivery and keep a copy. If they do not respond or you are unhappy with the response or your credit report is not updated then I would suggest you take the complaint to the Ombudsman. You can find more information about making a complaint and Ombudsmen at www.adviceguide.org.uk.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure