What a waste.

Options
Saw a notice in a Supermarket window recently.

It said that, due to a manufacturing error, the product contained a substance (I think it was nuts), which wasn't included in the list of ingredients.

The notice went on to say that, if you have bought this product, you should not eat it, but return it for a full refund.

So a huge amount of food is to be scrapped, not because it is inedible, but because some people are allergic to one of the ingredients.

Why not just say "If you have bought this product, and are allergic to nuts, please return it for a full refund."

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never returned an item because of one of those warnings as I'm luckily not medically diagnosed with a nut/lactose/milk/gluten intolerance.

I'd still eat it
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • k12479
    k12479 Posts: 716 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Why not just say "If you have bought this product, and are allergic to nuts, please return it for a full refund."
    It's hardly going to be a big waste of food in the bigger scheme of things. Given the labelling (nutritional information, quantities, RDAs, etc.) would be wrong there are likely to be legal reasons why they can't suggest anything other than to return it. It also doesn't take a huge amount of imagination to think up scenarios where allowing wrongly labelled goods to remain in circulation could have potentially serious consequences (guest with nut allergy comes round, person who did the shopping isn't around. Food not consumed for a while, shopper forgets it contains nuts...).
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Op, you do know it's not compulsory, the food police won't come knocking on doors of people who don't return it?

In all likelihood anyone not allergic to the ingredient will just keep the food and eat it regardless, so not sure where the 'huge amount of food to be scrapped' comes from.

If you're not allergic to the ingredient would you really return it for a refund?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I have to say that - not having a nut allergy - if I'd bought an item that shouldn't have contained nuts but did contain nuts in error, I'd not bother returning the item. I'd eat it. Unless of course, the addition of nuts would spoil the taste.

I can't see mass return of whatever item it was.
  • Matt_Jones
    Matt_Jones Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Don't return it and just enjoy yourself ya big daredevil :p
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Matt_Jones wrote: »
    Don't return it and just enjoy yourself ya big daredevil :p

We don't even know if the OP actually bought the item. ;)
    I'd guess not.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you've ever seen anyone in anaphylactic shock you'd know why they take so much care over it.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I liked the one a few months ago that they had to recall because they may contain nuts & it didn't say nuts in the ingredients. The product? Covered nuts!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure