Job Centre experince

This is a rant, an offload because as I type this Ive been sent into an anxiety tailspin and Im trying to get a hold on it.
10 months ago I went to my GP with depression and anxiety, the usual suspects, with my history, that had taken a hold of me due to being harrassed and managed out of my job . I had put up a good fight but the company played dirty and I sank. No income, no references, no job, humiliated, hurt, emotionally drained. It had gone on a long time.
I lived on my savings having gone to the job centre (sniffling) 2 times to see what would happen to me. It makes no sense now when I tell you that they never told me my enttitlements. I assumed that as Id been dismissed (and badly) Id not be able to claim. They simply left me none the wiser sympathised, hummed and ahhed. One guy told me forget all that come work for us and was extremely chipper but none of them told me outright 'right love lets put a claim through' Please bear in mind I was an emotional wreck back then. After 5 months I was running out of money. I went to the CAB and they did actually advise me. I was astounded to hear I should have claimed cont ESA all this time. They helped me fill in the forms, well they practically filled them in for me. I also was entitled to HB for which I had to open a UC account.
I went to the JC and they told me I cant claim housing benefit without claiming PA that I would have to go to the council directly. This didnt tally with the CAB. I actually had to call the council in the JC to confirm the CABs advice. The council chap was inflamed and demanded me ask the JC man where is he getting his stupid ideas from. If I had of just left and given up, which I nearly did, Id not have claimed at all. Again. I felt pushed back and forth.
Eventually I had my appointment to hand in my ESA papers and I was offered an advance as the money would take 6 weeks (how can it take so long???)
I was also told Id get a commitments phonecall which perplexed me as I was signed off and was sure it was different. I went back to the CAB and they said the JC guy was wrong. When that scheduled call came she immediately apologised and said she had called to clear it from the system, a mistake had been made I had no commitments to make. As suspected.
When the money came it was 4 weeks worth. I hadnt been told my landlords payment would be behind. I had to explain this and to this day I owe him 3 weeks which he makes sure I dont forget. Interestingly when I worked as a proper upstanding citizen, he never bothered reminding me. I paid early sometimes, sometimes a day behind as I may not have seen him. Amazing how I suddenly became a flight risk.
I heard nothing from the JC until 2 months later when they called me in for an appointment to show my work searches. I messaged them saying Id been told they have made a mistake. They never replied. I thought they realised.
More than 2 months pass and it happened again. I say the same but this time they insist.I go in and my work coach is busy so some full of himself young guy came and took my appointment. A health worker told me to not stress, just sit and speak when spoken to. He didnt speak to me much just at me. I let him just talk, quietly observing his highness, as in exuberance and importance. He told me how I needed to go to work as it would be better for me and all about the extreme social anxiety sufferer who because of his advice is doing well. He rang her every day and set her a task, open the door, next day step out, next day walk to gate and would talk to her on the phone. I wondered if this is within the remit of his job..surely not??? He was ever so proud. He told me all his work history, lots of sales and marketing by the sounds and I thought yes youre full of ** it arent you. Far far too much for a person like me low and anxious. Overwhelmed by the lack of privacy and lights and names being shouted out loud (is this a data protection thing) Im a tad paranoid and like my privacy. I felt dreadul . After listening to him for 45 mins put on a show I left deflated, exhausted and with another appointment 3 weeks later. I received a text reminder as i left.
The next meeting he had either accessed my mobile and heard me tell a friend what a beeper he was (Im joking)or he decided to be bad cop. Short, sharp. Shouted my name in the waiting area didnt look at me walked off with me trailing behind him. Dear cod. I felt sick. Straight away hes putting me on some silly course no objections no excuses. I went into a ball. The arms crossed and a little of the pre bullied me came out. My brow dropped and I diplomatically said you realise Im signed off? and why? But I think...I think...i think was his response. He referred me to one of these 5 times handled and subcontracted by government funds courses. I thought I will object later once I find out if he and his methods and his demeanour are correct. He told me it would take about a month.
I was just getting round to it and I get a text to log into the portal, this 2 message system is intrusive, they have my mobile and an account they can see all my movements. Paranoia remember, sorry but thats me. So this message is now telling me I must go tomorrow. Thats 24 hours notice. I already have my medical assessment this week and another visit to him. Really??? in a week? when I cant stand handling serious things that send me under. I have objected to this short notice but hes insisting. BUT worse than that...hes saying I knew already that he had given me the date last time...he did not...no way...he said he had referred me...see above again...I rang the course organisers and I asked them for the date of acceptance. I went round the houses with her, she doesnt want to drop him, she knew who he was, in the bloop does she. If he referred me that day then why didnt I get the customary cover their back usual 2 step confirmation?Wheres a printout even?
Now Im forced onto a course with no time to psyche up.Especially as Ive 2 more dwp things this week too. Ive told him I dont want to go and why but Im threatened with sanction.
This is bad service isnt it, bad way to treat people. Hes lied flat out.
Ive spent my time til now tryig to getout of this, find out my rights and how to complain about him. This amount of contact is nearly as bad as if I wer not under GP supervision. Another thing he said last time was once youre sick notes ended you will be put back int he system like eveyone else so what then. OMG, once my 2 months are up I may get another sick note who knows. I worked for 10 years and never claimed a penny. Ive claimed for 5 months and Im getting this. Im being pursued like with my job and its seriously stressing me. Ive got other things going on Im still recovering from this episide and this is triggering me badly.

Anyone out there in sympathy? empathy? I appreciate any kind words TIA

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am sorry that you are having such a rough time.

Apologies but I am not sure what benefits you are actually receiving.

I think it is contribution based ESA (new style ESA) and housing costs through Universal Credit. Is that correct?

Perhaps you can tell us how much money you are getting? Do you get £73.10 a week for your ESA and housing costs to pay your rent through UC?

Have you had a Work Capability Assessment for your ESA (some people call it a medical but it isn't, it just determines whether you are fit for work, or have limited capability for work or limited capability for work and work activities)?

I am wondering why CAB would tell you that you did not have to attend any work focussed interviews whilst you are in the assessment phase of ESA. Can you explain?

I am not sure if you want any help or just wanted to rant (as it were)???
  • Hi Thanks for getting back.
    I thought I was on esa all this time. I filled in the forms and had the form handing in interview. Only a month ago they claimed I wasnt. I only know the forms they have are ESA forms.
    Im due my assessment this week. Im dreading it.
    I dont know re CAB I take their word for it. I know little about the system. I take the view its not my job to check and remind them their job. I presume that they have all the tools to ensure their end is done.
    Its exhausting.
    This behaviour is deliberate so it just becomes too much, too stressful to claim and go get a job Im sure.
  • anjose
    anjose Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hi Beansontoast. I hope my post finds you well.

I suppose the reason I am posting is because your post made me emotional, but I only want to wish you well and let you know that you aren't on your own.

A lot of of what you posted I can associate with. It's as though the job centre are bringing my anxiety upon me. Some advisors will force me to do things, such as go on courses, telling me it's for my own good. Others will remark how cheerful I seem today and I don't seem at all anxious or depressed. I suppose they can't see past my front which I try and hold up well.

Deep down I am full of dread. Wondering what I will be told to do next or what the next level that the bar will be raised to. Like you, I feel that their behaviour is deliberate - and sometimes I wonder if life will be easier with a small job.

But my anxiety is my biggest barrier. I take anti-depressants, yet doctors do not fell that I will pass a medical. What exact mental state do I need to be in before I am allowed space to breath and heal? I nod and agree to things I feel obliged - and in several cases forced - to do.

For what it's worth, my advice to you is to speak with a counsellor. That helped me the most.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    It sounds like a dreadful experience, and totally the opposite of my experience. I have always found the Job Centre staff to be helpful, respectful and good at their job. I'm my son's appointee, and he is currently in the assessment phase - he has also been treated decently.

Calling your name out is not a brech of data protection. I'm not sure how they are expected to identify you in the waiting room (which may be full) without saying your name.

The first seven days of ESA is unpaid, so that might account for some of the money that you consider due.

The ESA helpline is very helpful for general enquiries. You can be on hold for a long time though, so it's best to phone first thing when they are not as busy.

Regarding the appointment and lack of notice. Yes, I understand your anxiety and the need to prepare yourself. However, you have less time to worry, and it will be out of the way more quickly.

You can, of course, put in a written complaint, but if you do, may I suggest that you space your wording into shorter paragraphs - large chunks of text can make reading very difficult. Additionally, there is (understandably) a lot of emotion in your OP. It would have been easier to answer if posters didn't have to plough through everything, so maybe consider bullet points to make it clearer.

If you are placed in the Work Related Activity Group, you may have to attend various activities.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Sounds like a bad experience like, but I'd be interested to know a few things:

1. How you are coming across to them (if you look like a down and out who has just crawled in off the street then people can be a lot meaner at times and treat you differently).

2. Whether sought help in September 2016 (your last post on this forum which hinted at possible depression) and what the outcome was

3. Whether you writing copious paragraphs on a trip to the job centre is a result of your experiences in work, or an underlying symptom. Aka were you like this in work, or did work cause you to be like this?

Ultimately, this whole post is quite an insight into your current mindset, and is absolutely not where you should/want to be in terms of job seeking etc. I suspect that, if you weren't depressed, your thought patterns would be more along the lines of "Ok, I've had an awful few months in work but now I'm out and I have the opportunity to find somewhere new and work towards a new goal".

But it is much more complex than that I have to say. I can only really suggest that you prioritise your health as much as possible and push for help. Your post in September 2016 hinted at some more natural remedies of depression (vitamins, getting active, sleeping well etc) so I'd be interested (well a professional who is helping you would) to know if you still keep up with those methods. Ultimately, it may also be worth exploring all options with NHS and beyond.
  • Thank you to all responders. The situation re coach was resolved and another was assigned. I advise if any have the same problem,go in and quietly and calmly ask to see the persons manager. It was handled professionally and I was astounded at being taken seriously.

Dear anjose its very hard sitting in those offices, feeling anxious, its double the effect if you are. I loathe it but part of it was how I was spoken to and who I was speaking with. Unfortunately these visits and courses are mandatory, the government put them in place and they override the GP. I have now fund out.

Les79 I happen not to come across like that but if I did I would really hope that any government employed educated person would not judge me or anyone else for looking a little uncared for that day and apply some intelligence and handle appropriately.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    The people employed there are human and have their bad days like the rest of us. At least you've learned how to deal with the situation. Be proud of that.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I like you have always worked but some years back was made redundant. I went to the job centre and felt really patronized. I felt as though they were looking down on me by the way they spoke to me. Luckily I found a job after a few weeks but the job centre didn't support me. Nobody looked at my cv or suggested ways to find work. Had I been vulnerable or without support things could have dragged on for ages.
    I think the whole job centre thing needs reforming. Our tax is handed over in benefits freely to lazy people but honest hard workers who need support don't get enough assistance of direction. I can imagine working at the job centre is pretty tough but my experience as a service user was disappointing.
    Hope things get good with you.
  • First time of posting. I hope I've got the right section. My daughter did some freelance work in april and should have been paid on the 29 April. The company never paid her so she had to start a small claims action against them. She didn't have any work coming in so applied for JSA on the 21 May. The company finally paid her on the 23May. The Job centre now says she isn't entitled to JSA as she received money for work in the signing on period. Surely this can not be correct. The work was back in April and not in her signing on period.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Tracy, you are in the right place but you need to start your own thread. Go to https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141 and press the 'New Thread' button - you can copy and paste what you've written here. I won't respond here (not that I know the answer to your query, but it sounds as if you are right to me!) because otherwise it will disrupt this thread.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure