Tales from The Shire

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    A hive of activity at yours.

Bookshelves sound good. Life is better when books are neatly stored on shelves. :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,282 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a lovely weekend :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    You have been a very busy bee :)

'Whiling away all the passing hours, pinching all the pollen from the cauliflowers" :D
    I thought all dogs automatically get the best of everything.

FDawg certainly does INOD :rotfl:
    I've very impressed with all your annex-cleaning and box-putting-away :D

Cleaning and box-putting-away has been the story of my life for the past 18 months Cheery. I'll be glad to get to the bottom of the last box... does that every happen? Anyhoo, friend will be here in a few weeks so I have to get a wiggle on.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    therocket wrote: »
    Good work on the annex progress - it'll be sorted in no time! And poor F-Dawg, I'm sure he'll be throwing his new-found weight around very soon, as his diet sounds better than mine!!

It's getting there Rocket, we've made a lot of progress this weekend. FDawg is looking a little better so I think the 'Fatten Up Dawg' diet is working. He's certainly cheekier :D
    A hive of activity at yours.

Bookshelves sound good. Life is better when books are neatly stored on shelves. :)

It's either been non-stop or fiull-stop DIA. I've either been ill and unable to do anything or well and at full tilt trying to catch up. Hopefully the cycle is broken now though. I've missed my cookery books. I have a file of favourite recipes and looking through them again was like visiting an old friend
    beanielou wrote: »
    Have a lovely weekend :)

Thank you Beanie. It's been another busy one.

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Progress has been made this weekend:

Annex:
    • the annex living room and kitchen are shiny and sparkly
    • I managed to rescue the fridge, oven and hobb but the dishwasher and microwave were very badly corroded and beyond saving so will have to be replaced
    • I went charity shop shopping and managed to tick some things off the 'Needed for the Annex' list. Some other items were sourced from the house and some I bought from the Bay. I'll continue to look out for bargains.

Garden
    • the big bed is weed free :T
    • I also re-weeded the two veg beds
    • squeezed in a bit of pruning around the annex too
    • Mr F and I made a path through the lawn with some of the wooden planks we saved from the old barn
    • Mr F made a log store from some of the pallets the builders left behind :T He is a clever chap. There are enough pallets left to make a headboard for our bedroom. I'm intended to deploy chalk paint and stencils for that one ;)

House

I managed to run the hoover over and keep things tidy but the house has played second fiddle (or is it third?) to the annex and the garden this week. Now we've caught up a bit I'll be able to spread my time between the three and perhaps squeeze in a social life too :rotfl:

I've had a long bubble bath and a glass of wine as a little reward for all the hard work. It doesn't look much when it's listed but we're both exhausted and are expecting to sleep well tonight :)

FDawg has been mainly supervising or trying to bury his beef hide treats under the shed :rotfl: But apparently that is exhausting work too as he has been fast asleep on his bed all evening :rotfl: He does seem to be putting a little weight back on and he definitely has more energy. I'm feeling reassured so will continue with the weight gain diet for another week.

Hope you have all had a wonderful weekend. Isn't the sunshine glorious.

Fortune x
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It does look like a lot when listed actually! Well done :)

It is great that you are slowly acquiring what you need from charity shops and eBay...
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

It is great that you are slowly acquiring what you need from charity shops and eBay...
    I second both points :j:j:j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options

Karmacat wrote: »
    I second both points :j:j:j

Thank you both. I do feel that we are breaking the back of things now.

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    I have decided to have a couple of 'normal' days where I'm just doing routine chores and not wearing myself out on major projects.

My lovely neighbours gifted me some rhubarb yesterday and have promised a crown too when the time is right. I used half to make a couple of small bottles of Rhubarb Cordial. I have given them one bottle as a thank you and the second I am keeping to make gin cocktails :D The rest of the rhubarb will go into a cake on Friday for when Mr F gets back from his travels and is here to eat it :rotfl:

I got a couple of loads of washing done and dried on the line. Our little back courtyard is a real sun trap and it only took a couple of hours to get everything dry. The rest of the day was spent trying to get on top of the ironing (yes, it's still a work in progress).

Today I intend to get some cleaning done and the grocery shop is due this afternoon.

This evening I'm out at another WI Quiz although I don't rate our chances much as we've lost our history girl. I'm quite good on science, nature, literature and art but rubbish on sport and history.

The blackbird nest by the back door has chicks in it :) and we also have sparrows and blue tits nesting under the eaves of the annex. They have been flying in and out all day with beaks full of worms and caterpillars. The grass in our field is very long now and I think we should be getting it cut but it's full of wildflowers at the moment and so pretty I'm reluctant to call someone in. I love this time of year.

Happy Tuesday all

Fortune x
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ooh, lovely to have a day of regular chores rather than major projects - I was thinking just yesterday I need one of those myself as I walked through the house :eek: :o :rotfl: The weather is just SO lovely at the minute, and I've got to stay inside for work, so when I'm not working I just want to be outside (and there is SO much to do out there!)

I've been scything a path through our field up to the veg beds this morning. We are also full of wild flowers and I plan to leave ours there as long as possible. Partly because I haven't decided what on earth I'm going to do with all the grass once it's cut :rotfl:

Still, the farmer came round this morning and said 'we've only got 8 weeks til the winter kicks back in' :eek: so I'm sure there will be plenty of time then :rotfl: :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback