Mis-sold solar panel reclaiming fees

Comments

• Oke
    Oke Posts: 9 Forumite
    Hello and please bear with me.
    Last December I agreed with the solar panels sales man that the instalation was going to be before the 21st of Dec 2017. When this was not possible we agreed not to pursue the matter any further Later on he came back to me with a higher capcity panels and i agreed.
    To cut a long story short, I was assured that i was going to use more than 50% of what the panels generated. I was offered quotes for 14, 12, 11 panels and he asked me how much I can afford to spend and I gave him a figure. The sales pitch was about how much room I got on my roof. On that basis, he said that I needed 12 panels and that I'll easily use up more than 50% of what i generated and I'll get paid 5.03p x 50% of what I produced. The rationale was that if I exported 0%, say, I'll still be paid for 50% . I must confess that I did not do my homework properly and I feel sad about it. I trusted this chap. Any road he did some calculation and came up with the idea that my usage was 2850kWh per annum. I now know how this was calculated. Now this figure of 2850kWh included night time when electricity is not generated by the panels, i.e. no sunshine at night in the English midlands. I export far far more than 50%; yesterday I exported 80%, (in January), of what I generated. I asked for a an export meter on the grounds that I was misled and this was refused. At the very least, there calculation should have been based on 1425kWh since nothing is generated during night time. To make matters worse, I told them that they overestimated my annual usage which was about 2330kWh. Their reply was that that 2850was not that far off from 2330kWh.. It does matter because my tqriffis 12.5pa kWH sothat makes a differnce of 12.5 x 5 about £62.50 ifyou think about it. The point I am making is that they do not care a damn.
    Something else, when I use energy generated by my panels, somehow it is counted as import and my suppliers who are not the installers charge me for that because, quite rightly,, that's what the meter says. My installers, one of the big 6, says it's not their fault.
    This is just part of the story. By my calculation I needed 6 and certainly not more than 8 panels. I am just preparing a youtube video on this matter.
    Oh there is more. I submitted my FIT application 6 days after the installation but the application was rejected because FIT applies from the day they received the application. So I have lost 6 days of FIT. The installers, one of the big 6, did not tell me that I should have applied straight away in fact they were also puzzled. I could have sent an incomplete FIT application on the the day of the installation. that woild have been rejected but I would have registered on the day of the installation.
    Have I got a case for miss-selling? I am quite happy to accept an export meter or battery if offered.I am retired and don't have any spare cash unfortunately and do not wish to borrow. The installation is suspect or I need a smart meter that takes into account how much of what use at any gven time is from the panels. They will not do that either. So,I am losing whichever way.
    Thank you for reading this far
  • Tavish45 wrote: »
    HI,

I installed solar panels back in 2014.

I was sold these by a company that has gone into liquidation however during the process of being sold these I was informed from there sales man that,
    1) It would at least pay for them selves on a quarterly basis, which equates to £104 per month x 3 so get £312 back from feed in tarrif.
    The most I have had for a quarter is £121
    2) They would reduce my electric bill by about 1/2.
    Looking through my electric bills from records show I might have saved £5 a month in total.
    3) They will pay for themselves in 10 years and are good for 20 years.
    At the moment I might get my money back ie, pay for them selves by the 2100 as mostly I get back is £10-30 a quarter.
    4) I took out a credit agreement with a high street bank which the company provided an agreement.
    I have contacted the bank in concern stating that I was miss sold the panels and what I was promised from the company. This was over 2 years ago, after 1 year of getting no where I contacted the Finance Omnibus and gave them do deal with it. Now after 14months of waiting with 2 e-mails stating they are getting all the facts together. I'm still waiting and paying for something that doesn't work.

Has anyone else contacted the Finance omnibus about this matter and had a responce from them? How long did it take? Have you recieved any money back or did the bank stop taking the money?

Hi , I Have currently got a complaint with the FO and I also still have no reply. There response when I ask is they are currently looking for a fair and consistent way to deal with these cases. Like you I am currently out of pocket as the salesman stated the cost of the finance would be covered by the FIT payments and saving on electricity neither is true.

When I complained to Shawbrook Bank who my finance is with they just said you must have installed something that has stopped you saving or you have a faulty meter . However both my meters where changed and 2 children left home,

I would advise anyone to not purchase solar panels a big con !!!!
  • Hi,

We have our solar panels ( from Myplanet) through a loan from Shawbrook. They promised a monthly payment that would come in before our monthly payment out. It would always be larger than the monthly fee and we would also get money back for electric generated. All false promises.

We have just been contacted by Stenfield and Co about making a claim.

Having successfully claimed back our PPI payments myself from old credit cards and loans I would also like to try and claim ourselves but I'm not Sure where to begin with this.

Any help or advice please?
  • Enitsuj71
    Enitsuj71 Posts: 10 Forumite
    The companies offering to help you claim on mis selling are expensive to the point of costing more than the panels. Look into thier costs.
    Take your complaint to the FOS as they are currently looking at lots of these complaints and you won't pay commission
  • Enitsuj71
    I have today received an email and Shawbrook bank have upheld my complaint regarding my Helms solar panels and with this offered 2 options. To remove the panels cancel the loan and put me back in the position i was in before along with 8% interest and £200 compensation. They will take off this any savings I have made... I don't know what this will equate to because i don't feel I have saved anything in fact I have been £65 a month worse off for the last 3 years to my reckoning. However just cancelling the loan is a massive plus to me.
    The 2nd option is to retain the system and and have an engineer look at the system to establish if performance can be improved and offer me redress based on this evaluation. I will be taking the 1st option!
    It is such a relief! :j:j:j
  • Enitsuj71
    15th May 18, 3:42 PM
    I have today received an email and Shawbrook bank have upheld my complaint regarding my Helms solar panels and with this offered 2 options. To remove the panels cancel the loan and put me back in the position i was in before along with 8% interest and £200 compensation. They will take off this any savings I have made... I don't know what this will equate to because i don't feel I have saved anything in fact I have been £65 a month worse off for the last 3 years to my reckoning. However just cancelling the loan is a massive plus to me.
    The 2nd option is to retain the system and and have an engineer look at the system to establish if performance can be improved and offer me redress based on this evaluation. I will be taking the 1st option!
    It is such a relief!
  • Hi, I had solar panels fitted by Helms in 2014. I have only been made aware of the problems these may cause us when we are trying to Remortgage or sell our property! Through googling about that, I have been made aware of helms going bust! We are due to Remortgage in a few months, and I am now panicking that this will cause us problems. Any advice on this please?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    donnay wrote: »
    Hi, I had solar panels fitted by Helms in 2014. I have only been made aware of the problems these may cause us when we are trying to Remortgage or sell our property! Through googling about that, I have been made aware of helms going bust! We are due to Remortgage in a few months, and I am now panicking that this will cause us problems. Any advice on this please?

Solar panels only usually cause those problems if they have been installed and owned by a 3rd party. If you own the panels and are receiving the fit payments then you should not have those issues.
  • Sorry I wasn't clear in the last post. I don't own the solar panels. They were fitted by helms and pv solar own the FIT. We were told by the guy that came to value the house, that they have been instructed not to add value to a hpuse with solar panels. We are currently in contact with the gdfc about mis-selling. We were told that they will cause us problems when we go to sell our home. Take me back and I'd never have had them fitted!!
  • I used claim experts 4 u . Really friendly and got our money back plus compensation really quickly . Was no win no fee. 01872 309570 . www.claimexperts4u.com
    Does Peterhelp himself by being employed by said site??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback