!! Reccomendations please !!

Options
2»

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Amex IS the daddy of them all in the U.S.

Amex is very widely accepted in the US, more so than in the UK, but I've never been anywhere that accepts Amex that does not also accept MC and Visa.

The Lloyd's Avios Amex card comes with no forex loading fee, and gives you 2.5 Avios for every pound spent in the first six months. Very unusual to get loyalty benefits on overseas spending, and a great benefit for the Avios collectors. Well worth the £24 fee.
  • Mr_Goodkat
    Options
    Amex IS the daddy of them all in the U.S. Anyone who disagrees with that is probably living on a different planet, With regard to the rest I've already answered your queries. But how on earth do you calculate that 18.9% is cheaper than 15%?

If you Clear Clarity in full you only pay the interest on the cash you take out not ALL transactions so card purchases will not accrue interest whereas with a Starling overdraft ALL transactions will accrue interest whether purchases or cash withdrawals. If you minimise cash withdrawals and pay with card whenever possible a small amount of cash on a Clarity at 18.9% will cost less than ALL transactions at 15% on a Starling overdraft.

How is Amex the daddy when it will charge non sterling transaction fees on every purchase and cash withdrawal? Wafting an American Express and paying fees is silly when a number of other credit cards will not charge foreign exchange fees!
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Amex is very widely accepted in the US, more so than in the UK, but I've never been anywhere that accepts Amex that does not also accept MC and Visa.

The Lloyd's Avios Amex card comes with no forex loading fee, and gives you 2.5 Avios for every pound spent in the first six months. Very unusual to get loyalty benefits on overseas spending, and a great benefit for the Avios collectors. Well worth the £24 fee.

Perhaps you haven't rented cars and stayed in hotels in the states very much.

I'm referring to original American Express cards and not inferior copies which only use the Amex payment processor. I got my American Express credit and charge cards specifically for travelling in the U.S. and I have never come to grief using one whereas I have found that foreign VISA and MasterCard CCs are sometimes treated with suspicion. Just because it's a VISA or MasterCard doesn't mean it will be accepted although that's the theory.

The possibility of cards failing is the reason why the good advice is always take a back-up card just in case.
  • Nick_C
    Options
    Perhaps you haven't rented cars and stayed in hotels in the states very much.

I'm referring to original American Express cards and not inferior copies which only use the Amex payment processor. I got my American Express credit and charge cards specifically for travelling in the U.S. and I have never come to grief using one whereas I have found that foreign VISA and MasterCard CCs are sometimes treated with suspicion. Just because it's a VISA or MasterCard doesn't mean it will be accepted although that's the theory.

The possibility of cards failing is the reason why the good advice is always take a back-up card just in case.

And then again perhaps you are completely wrong in your assumptions.

I have been a regular visitor to the US for 40 years. My father was American. I have family in the UK and US. I have a social security number. I have visited many of the States, stayed in a great many hotels, and rented cars from several different companies on many occasions.

I have never had to use an Amex card because a Visa or Mastercard was declined or not accepted. I have never found a retailer or business who takes Amex but does not take Visa or MC.

I have Amex cards issued directly by Amex, as well as the Lloyd's Avios card.

I have never had an issue with the Lloyd's card being treated any differently to the ones directly issued by Amex.

The Lloyd's cards are not in any way inferior to the cards issued directly by Amex. In fact they are superior for people who want to collect Avios, and there is no loading fee for foreign purchases.

Of course, some people flash their Amex purely for the snob value, thinking it makes them superior in some way. It doesn't!
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Why would you choose to pay a 2.99% AMEX foreign currency fee when you have free alternatives?

Madness.
  • lukey105
    lukey105 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 December 2017 at 10:24AM
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks everyone for the feedback !! Lots to ponder here...

One major point - I don't intend to use the card to withdraw cash (unless in an emergency) as I have dollars ready for the trip

ALSO - seems I have left this rather late (leaving Dec 28th) so may now have to go via HSBC !!??
    If so - anyone au fait with HSBC credit cards and which might suit !? (I'm a HSBC Advance customer)
  • Mr_Goodkat
    Options
    Why would you choose to pay a 2.99% AMEX foreign currency fee when you have free alternatives?

Madness.

This!

Having disagreed with Anthorn on a number of posts I do believe he is in fact suffering from madness :rotfl:

He does seem to enjoy wafting his Amex cards about a little too much so doesn't seem to mind the foreign exchange fees or the interest for not repaying in full each month!
  • Anthorn
    Options
    Mr_Goodkat wrote: »
    This!

Having disagreed with Anthorn on a number of posts I do believe he is in fact suffering from madness :rotfl:

He does seem to enjoy wafting his Amex cards about a little too much so doesn't seem to mind the foreign exchange fees or the interest for not repaying in full each month!

When you've lost the debate the only thing left you can do is a personal attack against your opponent. That's very much frowned upon in bona fide debating groups and organisations.

I have already explained my position exhaustively and I don't see any reason why I should repeat myself by posting the same explanation. Do have a good day.
  • Anthorn
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    And then again perhaps you are completely wrong in your assumptions.

I have been a regular visitor to the US for 40 years. My father was American. I have family in the UK and US. I have a social security number. I have visited many of the States, stayed in a great many hotels, and rented cars from several different companies on many occasions.

I have never had to use an Amex card because a Visa or Mastercard was declined or not accepted. I have never found a retailer or business who takes Amex but does not take Visa or MC.

I have Amex cards issued directly by Amex, as well as the Lloyd's Avios card.

I have never had an issue with the Lloyd's card being treated any differently to the ones directly issued by Amex.

The Lloyd's cards are not in any way inferior to the cards issued directly by Amex. In fact they are superior for people who want to collect Avios, and there is no loading fee for foreign purchases.

Of course, some people flash their Amex purely for the snob value, thinking it makes them superior in some way. It doesn't!

On the "inferior copies" of American Express I highlighted my point was that they are not managed and supported by American Express. The banks which issue them merely use the American Express Payment Processing although some of them include incentives which are usually associated with original American Express cards.. That's the reason I refer to such cards as "inferior copies".Retailers, especially American retailers are aware of that. The question id how reliable do American retailers think the issuing bank is. Probably goes without saying that a U.K. bank is likely to be unknown in the States.

I didn't say that American Express should be used as a backup for any card. I stated it to be the best prospect for travelling in U.S.A.
  • Nick_C
    Options
    When you've lost the debate the only thing left you can do is a personal attack against your opponent.

Indeed. Is that why you tried to belittle me by suggesting - quite incorrectly - that I have little experience of traveling in the US? :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure