PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Comments

• Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,776 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you so much for your reply.

I presume that applicant means conveyancer.

Whoever lodged it at the time so if the conveyancer then yes.

Form AP1 panel 9 asks them to confirm the contact details to be entered
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • nb2107 wrote: »
    Hello, I have a question please, we have been approached by our neighbour who is a well known developer. We have on the deeds one allocated parking space but you have up to four cars as our parking is located at the end of a cul de sac which nobody else has access to unless they were to park away from their house. Now the developer needs are parking to gain access to the site he wishes to build on. He has currently offered to build us a garage. I have said a garage is not good enough and i want a garage parking for two cars and pocket money to agree to selling our space. From what i can see it looks like a ransom strip so effectively they cannot build without our parking space. How much would are parking space be worth and what would a reasonable offer be if they can build up to six 3 and 4 bedroom houses. advice will be much appreciated thank you.

If it is a ransom strip and the developer has no other means of access, you could be entitled to a 3rd of the Land Value!
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]DEEDS OF TRUST[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Can a deed of trust which specifies %age beneficial ownership of a property be registered against the legal title?[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]if so what form does that registration take?[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What additional protection does that give a beneficial owner on a subsequent sale?[/FONT]
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    why is it not a sticky?

I had to go look for it to point someone to it

ultimate arbitrator is the MSE/LR rep its their baby.
  • Land_Registry
    Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]DEEDS OF TRUST[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Can a deed of trust which specifies %age beneficial ownership of a property be registered against the legal title?[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]if so what form does that registration take?[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What additional protection does that give a beneficial owner on a subsequent sale?[/FONT]

We do not register deeds of trust as such or the %s but their existence can be protected on the register by way of a restriction. See our online guidance on Joint property ownership and Private trusts

A deed of trust deals with the beneficial ownership of the property. We register the legal ownership. As far as additional protection is concerned the existence of a restriction can indicate that such a trust exists and therefore cause a lender, buyer or indeed owner to take note.

For example if a form A restriction is registered then a surviving sole owner can't take receipt of capital monies on their own but must appoint someone to do so with them. That can hamper their ability to sell or mortgage for example.
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    why is it not a sticky?

I had to go look for it to point someone to it

ultimate arbitrator is the MSE/LR rep its their baby.

The thread was set up by MSE but as posters ask Qs both here and in their own threads we post replies in both where appropriate.

In single threads we will find them when we search for 'land registry' and the poster has included those word(s)
  • messes
    messes Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 December 2017 at 5:11PM
    Hi Land Registry,

I'm in the process of buying a property but looking at the Title plan the red line that indicates the ownership has been drawn through the porch which sits proud of the main building and boundary walls.

The property is a listed building and this is part of the original build, so it has always been this way. Can the LR records be corrected? Do they need to be?

Thanks.
  • Land_Registry
    edited 12 December 2017 at 7:20AM
    messes wrote: »
    Hi Land Registry,

I'm in the process of buying a property but looking at the Title plan the red line that indicates the ownership has been drawn through the porch which sits proud of the main building and boundary walls.

The property is a listed building and this is part of the original build, so it has always been this way. Can the LR records be corrected? Do they need to be?

Thanks.

If part of the property you are buying is outside of the red outline that is something you need to raise witht he seller.

There could be one of a few reasons as to why it is so

It could be an error either in theregistration or the original conveyancing deeds or both

It could also be a case that the ownership is registered under more than one title so the 'missing part' is registered separately for some reason

Or it has been registered correctly based on what was applied for on first registration and they are effectively occupying more land than is registered

I'd suggest raising it with the seller and asking them to clarify/confirm
  • messes
    messes Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 December 2017 at 9:49AM
    If part of the property you are buying is outside of the red outline that is something you need to raise witht he seller.

Yes that's being done, it appears this is how the property was when they brought it and was not raised as a problem when they purchased themselves. So they never investigated anything.
    It could be an error either int he registration or the original conveyancing deeds or both

What would be the process to get the original registration corrected?
  • pernes
    pernes Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi I have purchased several leasehold leases, can you confirm if there was any deed of variations to the leases it would be noted on the title register list?
    Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure