Changing allowance of hours paid for

So, on a normal working day we are paid 10.5 hours for a 12 hour shift (1 1/2 hours unpaid break, that we rarely take).

Around 10 years ago, an arrangement was made between staff and management that an overtime day is to be paid at 11 hours. This has been paid for the last 10 years.

We have a new manager that doesn't like this and wants to revert the pay back to 10.5 hours. However, he is telling me that the 11 hours paid to myself for all the shifts I have done for the past years was a "mistake" (And not to worry, he won't take the over payment off me)

This is untrue. It wasn't a mistake. And I have confirmed with management that this agreement was in place and no mistake was made. He is also fully aware it wasn't a mistake.

Can the new manager, without any formal notification reduce the payment for days completed before being notified?

I have 11 days overtime to be paid at 11 hours each. Changing it to 10.5 would leave me 5 1/2 hours less pay than what I was expecting. I appreciate he may want to change the rule but feel it needs to be made formal.

p.s. The agreement wasn't written down anywhere. But I assume the fact it's been honored for 10 years means he cannot deny it exists.
I get what i want. That isn't because i'm a brat or spoilt. It's because i'm determined, i work hard for it and i achieve my goals!

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I would agree, after such a length of time this has become custom and practice - and hence a contractual term. The employer would need to consult and to provide appropriate notice to implement the change. A grievance from all the effected people would be in order - though your union if you are members.
  • misssarahleigh
    misssarahleigh Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    No union im afraid but i will challange this. He is a new manager and being very difficult about certain things.
    I get what i want. That isn't because i'm a brat or spoilt. It's because i'm determined, i work hard for it and i achieve my goals!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    So, on a normal working day we are paid 10.5 hours for a 12 hour shift (1 1/2 hours unpaid break, that we rarely take).

Why would you not take 1 and 1/2 hours of unpaid breaks?. Unless you are paid very good wages its crazy to work through unpaid breaks without expecting payment.
  • aife
    aife Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Might be time for a 'Work to Rule'
    And if you're not in desperate straits , an overtime ban - but only if everyone agrees
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    No union im afraid but i will challange this. He is a new manager and being very difficult about certain things.

the solution tell him..

"you no longer want pay the 1/2 hour, we no longer want to work the unpaid breaks".
  • misssarahleigh
    takman wrote: »
    Why would you not take 1 and 1/2 hours of unpaid breaks?. Unless you are paid very good wages its crazy to work through unpaid breaks without expecting payment.

Leaving your desk for a break means your collegue just "manages" your work i.e. has time to make a list of things for you to do by the time you get back. It's actually worse to take the break in terms of workload as it just backs up.
    aife wrote: »
    Might be time for a 'Work to Rule'
    And if you're not in desperate straits , an overtime ban - but only if everyone agrees

They tried a work to rule but you end up screwing your work up and management don't care. It creates more pressure and stress on you than it does anyone else.
    the solution tell him..

"you no longer want pay the 1/2 hour, we no longer want to work the unpaid breaks".

Again, they don't care as they still expect you to do the same amount of work.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    if there is too much work for the 10.5 paid hours then some will just have to get left till the next shift or someone else does it during their paid time.

if work backs up it is not your problem unless you want it to be your problem.

How are people messing up work just because they have taken a break?
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Leaving your desk for a break means your collegue just "manages" your work i.e. has time to make a list of things for you to do by the time you get back. It's actually worse to take the break in terms of workload as it just backs up.

They tried a work to rule but you end up screwing your work up and management don't care. It creates more pressure and stress on you than it does anyone else.

Again, they don't care as they still expect you to do the same amount of work.

It sounds like you work in a very poorly managed place but everyone seems to have accepted the fact that they work through unpaid breaks so nothing will ever change.

Do you get paid enough above minimum wage to allow you to work the unpaid time and still average out an hourly rate above minimum wage?.
  • misssarahleigh
    takman wrote: »
    It sounds like you work in a very poorly managed place but everyone seems to have accepted the fact that they work through unpaid breaks so nothing will ever change.

Do you get paid enough above minimum wage to allow you to work the unpaid time and still average out an hourly rate above minimum wage?.

Thats pretty much spot on. People have accepted the workload isn't manageable and work during breaks.

And management is poor, and getting very much worse however we do get enough above minimum wage to cover the breaks technically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure