Medical condition: can't get reasonable Holiday insurance

My husband is having IV chemotherapy every 21days which has stabilised his lung cancer. He's in no pain and feels well enough to do a week in the sun in Spain in October. Unfortunately there isn't one travel insurance company which wants to insure him!! It stems from the fact that six months ago his cancer had spread to his chest wall. A recent CT scan now shows that is no longer an area of concern. He takes no pain killers and is not breathless. All the recommended companies either refused him or charge in excess of £1800!! Surely there's one company who'd take his premium. He's walking miles with the dog each day and mowing the lawns so he's not disabled with his disease at the moment. Does anyone recognise this frustrating situation???
Wilkies5

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Yes. My lung cancer is terminal.

He should be able to get normal insurance that excludes his cancer without weighting the premium.

An EHIC card should enable some protection in certain EU locations.

I'm travelling the world before the illness finishes me off. I've told my family to leave me overseas if it gets the better of me on my travels.

Good luck. Hopefully the various treatments that seem to be around at the moment and new ones in the pipeline work wonders for him.
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    wilkies5 wrote: »
    My husband is having IV chemotherapy every 21days which has stabilised his lung cancer. He's in no pain and feels well enough to do a week in the sun in Spain in October. Unfortunately there isn't one travel insurance company which wants to insure him!! It stems from the fact that six months ago his cancer had spread to his chest wall. A recent CT scan now shows that is no longer an area of concern. He takes no pain killers and is not breathless. All the recommended companies either refused him or charge in excess of £1800!! Surely there's one company who'd take his premium. He's walking miles with the dog each day and mowing the lawns so he's not disabled with his disease at the moment. Does anyone recognise this frustrating situation???

Hope you get your husbands holiday insurance sorted out soon, I had similar problems with pre-existing medical conditions.
    Have you tried Allclear
    https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/topic/pre-existing-medical-conditions/?gclid=CjwKEAjw9_jJBRCXycSarr3csWcSJABthk07kQ4JDL9v517P17pDYd1h8-UfMoE7kUQv9j5vVAOHSBoCNC3w_wcB
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I had throat / tonsil cancer last year - luckily after chopping & zapping all should be well & it wont return (fingers crossed).

I don't have any symptoms apart from a bit of a dry mouth from the radiation therapy and take no meds.

The insurance company that I get annual cover from through my bank want £300+ to cover me.

They have said that I can continue the cover without additional premiums but if anything crops up relating to the big C problem while sunning myself by the pool then I'm on my own.

I'm thinking that as the risk of anything suddenly rearing up requiring immediate on holiday treatment is very low (its over a year since treatment finished) that I'd be paying £300 for bog all.

A stupid risk or a reasonable risk assessment??
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • PeacefulWaters
    Korkyb wrote: »
    I had throat / tonsil cancer last year - luckily after chopping & zapping all should be well & it wont return (fingers crossed).

I don't have any symptoms apart from a bit of a dry mouth from the radiation therapy and take no meds.

The insurance company that I get annual cover from through my bank want £300+ to cover me.

They have said that I can continue the cover without additional premiums but if anything crops up relating to the big C problem while sunning myself by the pool then I'm on my own.

I'm thinking that as the risk of anything suddenly rearing up requiring immediate on holiday treatment is very low (its over a year since treatment finished) that I'd be paying £300 for bog all.

A stupid risk or a reasonable risk assessment??
    There are risks but I'd agree with your assessment.

Having the cash to pay for a next day return flight home if something crops up might be the most appropriate form of self insurance.

And hopefully you'll never need it.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Yeah breast cancer & recurring bladder cancer. No one would insure me at all at one point, or the rare quote that would wanted around £2000+. 7 years on the breast cancer's been written off, & last year Nationwide offered me insurance for about £150 for the bladder cancer.
  • 814man
    814man Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    @PeacefulWaters, wow what a post #2. I admire your honesty and planning and hope you get to visit all the destinations in your dreams. I truly hope I'd have your outlook if I were in your situation.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Holiday insurance is entirely voluntary. Spain has an excellent public health service and with an EHIC card he will have access to this without charge if needed. What of course it won't provide is repatriation in case of accident or other serious illness. So i would consider going without. Obviously you wouldn't want to take this approach if travelling outside the EU, to the USA etc.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I know this goes against all sensible advice but in your situation you might get more reasonable quotes nearer the time if you're not bothered about cancellation insurance. Obviously if you take insurance out now they're taking a risk that you might cancel in the interim.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • PeacefulWaters
    814man wrote: »
    @PeacefulWaters, wow what a post #2. I admire your honesty and planning and hope you get to visit all the destinations in your dreams. I truly hope I'd have your outlook if I were in your situation.
    Currently in New Hampshire having just descended Mount Washington.

Not a dream destination, but had enough Avios to get here first class. That's one ticked off the bucket list. Along with seeing a rather impressive Fin Whale in the Gulf of Maine the other day.
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    There are risks but I'd agree with your assessment.

Having the cash to pay for a next day return flight home if something crops up might be the most appropriate form of self insurance.

And hopefully you'll never need it.

Yep - heading to Marrakech in a couple of weeks so getting a flight back to the UK if I had to shouldn't be an issue.

Hoping the only medical issue I encounter will be a hangover :-)
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure