How to view items on Ebay

I have a large item for sale one Ebay. It is collection only due to size. I was contacted by someone who wants view the item which seems fair enough however I cannot send my details through Ebay messaging. Is there a correct way of dealing with this so I can share my contact details without Ebay thinking I am attempting an off Ebay sale?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JuzaMum wrote: »
    I have a large item for sale one Ebay. It is collection only due to size. I was contacted by someone who wants view the item which seems fair enough however I cannot send my details through Ebay messaging. Is there a correct way of dealing with this so I can share my contact details without Ebay thinking I am attempting an off Ebay sale?

There is no way now of doing this on eBay, any attempt to get round the rules could lead to your account being restricted or suspended. The only way to allow viewing is after the buyer has committed to buy, by then of course it's too late.

The very fact that buyer has already asked is enough to risk them getting a warning. Be careful how you do respond, you may have to annoy the buyer to protect your account .

Items needing viewing are better sold elsewhere nowadays.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    That's what I thought :(. If someone buys then decide they don't want it is it simple for them to cancel the purchase? Obviously I would be fine with a cancellation.
  • soolin
    JuzaMum wrote: »
    That's what I thought :(. If someone buys then decide they don't want it is it simple for them to cancel the purchase? Obviously I would be fine with a cancellation.

Even that can be problematic, eBay are getting very very paranoid about off eBay sales. I've only seen it mentioned once where someone asked to view and were told to buy it first, then decided against it and Cancelled. eBay gave both buyer and seller a warning as it was still considered an off eBay sale as the eBay bot decided that sale had gone ahead on collection and the cancellation was false.

It really is that bad now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sham63
    sham63 Posts: 1,066 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 May 2018 at 6:22PM
    You have to be very careful with any questions now.
    I got my first warning last week because I asked a seller if they would consider a BIN for combining two items they had listed.

We agreed on £50, but before I could suggest a safe way of proceeding, they cancelled both items and relisted as a BIN for both.

The warning came within 5 mins !
  • wishuponastar
    wishuponastar Posts: 779 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    sham63 wrote: »
    You have to be very careful with any questions now.
    I got my first warning last week because I asked a seller if they would consider a BIN for combining two items they had listed.

We agreed on £50, but before I could suggest a safe way of proceeding, they cancelled both items and relisted as a BIN for both.

The warning came within 5 mins !

I don't understand what you did or said that Ebay felt was wrong?

Isn't it quite normal to ask a seller for a buy it now price and for them to list it as a BIN then buy it. It's not as if it is happening outside Ebay or anything. What is it Ebay say you are supposed to do/suggest in that case?
  • sham63
    sham63 Posts: 1,066 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't understand what you did or said that Ebay felt was wrong?

Isn't it quite normal to ask a seller for a buy it now price and for them to list it as a BIN then buy it. It's not as if it is happening outside Ebay or anything. What is it Ebay say you are supposed to do/suggest in that case?

I think it was this message from the seller that the bots picked up on

Hi, ok. I will remove from eBay and you can pay on collection.
    Can you let me know when you can collect.

I replied that we must complete through EBay, which we did, but by then it was too late.
  • Playaolid
    Playaolid Posts: 8 Forumite
    I got round this by including my mobile number on the ad, I know some people may not be happy about this but it didn!!!8217;t bother me and I!!!8217;ve had no dodgy calls etc
  • soolin
    Playaolid wrote: »
    I got round this by including my mobile number on the ad, I know some people may not be happy about this but it didn!!!8217;t bother me and I!!!8217;ve had no dodgy calls etc

That's still in breach of eBay rules though so if eBay notice you will get your listings pulled and probably restricted.
  • sham63 wrote: »
    I think it was this message from the seller that the bots picked up on

Hi, ok. I will remove from eBay and you can pay on collection.
    Can you let me know when you can collect.

I replied that we must complete through EBay, which we did, but by then it was too late.

I still think you did nothing wrong and that you shouldn't have got the warning, it was the seller's fault for saying that they will remove from Ebay. Could you contact Ebay to ask them to remove the warning from your account? As a person will be able to see the warning was given to you unfairly.
  • soolin
    I still think you did nothing wrong and that you shouldn't have got the warning, it was the seller's fault for saying that they will remove from Ebay. Could you contact Ebay to ask them to remove the warning from your account? As a person will be able to see the warning was given to you unfairly.

Unfortunately eBay have their own rules and whilst many of us think it is unfair it's their rules and they enforce them as they will.

My warning, which is over a year old now so hopefully 'fallen off' was for a buyer asking if I could remove the immediate payment required option as he wanted to buy something and come and collect with cash. I replied that cash on collection was fine and I would remove the immediate payment required bit, and we both got a warning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure