MSE News: Waitrose to scrap "confusing" offer

Waitrose is set to end the 'pick your own offers' part of its loyalty scheme, after apparently concluding that customers found it too "confusing"...
Read the full story:
'Waitrose to scrap "confusing" pick-your-own-offers loyalty scheme'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have made a lot of savings from this in the past. If you have something that is on offer on your 'my picks' the potential saving is really good.

Right now they have frozen cod on offer at 25% off. This is something I regularly buy there, and by adding it to 'my picks' I get a further 20% off, so this brings it down to £3.59 from £5.99.

I agree that you had to keep an eye on what you had on 'my picks' and what Waitrose have on offer to make the really good savings.

I shall be disappointed to see it go, and won't go into Waitrose as often.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 815
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've never found it in the slightest bit confusing. Sounds like the usual company bu****it when they want to drop something good for the customers that is hurting their profits :mad:

A la Tesco/Clubcard, Sainsbury's and the Nectar points, Ebay and their fee restructures..........."we're doing it for you, to make your life easier." What an insult to peoples' intelligence.

Hermes just recently sent an email saying "we've now made it simpler and easier to send a parcel with Hermes" when all the email is about is the increase in their prices!

I have no problem with companies altering their prices or their offers but I do have a massive problem with them treating me like an idiot by trying to tell me it's for my benefit.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I never found it confusing but for some reason I could never get it to work. I picked my offers ages ago but have never been able to change them, despite trying on two different computers and three different browsers. I've just given up with it as I don't shop in Waitrose enough for it to matter a lot.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Waitrose is going right down in my estimation.

They have just introduced a minimum spend of £10 to park in the car park for a maximum of 2 hours after which it is an automatic fine of £70.

You cannot even pay to park anymore if you want to just pop in for a couple of things.

I hope this hits them where it hurts. The car park was half empty the other day.
  • Frustrating scheme, too difficult to use, just give me 20% of the top 10 things by value I buy each month (They have the data from the card) and I'll come back - otherwise I'll keep going to Aldi/Lidl for most of my mundane shopping and my c £10k a year spend is now halved.....
  • pjran
    pjran Posts: 1,900
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I have taken the opportunity to change my choices every month to maximise my savings. Shame they are saying it’s too confusing for their customers, don’t blame the customer for their own errors!!!

CONTINUE MYWAITROSE PLEASE
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I didn't find it confusing but couldn't remember what I had chosen so didn't use it....some people seemed to male good savings so its a shame its going
    onwards and upwards
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,848
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've made some useful savings on this promotion but while I didn't find it confusing, as such, I did find that the items I had selected weren't always available due to the proliferation of pack sizes on display (notably the case with bacon which comes in many varieties and sizes).

On the whole, it was an inelegant scheme, though, fiddly and probably a bit too complicated. I hope Waitrose aren't just trying to get their margins up. We will notice.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Mr_blibby wrote: »
    Frustrating scheme, too difficult to use, just give me 20% of the top 10 things by value I buy each month (They have the data from the card) and I'll come back - otherwise I'll keep going to Aldi/Lidl for most of my mundane shopping and my c £10k a year spend is now halved.....

If you read the link at hotUKdeals - they are changing to what sounds like what Sainsburys do. Personalised vouchers issued at the till or through the post
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    I've made some useful savings on this promotion but while I didn't find it confusing, as such, I did find that the items I had selected weren't always available due to the proliferation of pack sizes on display (notably the case with bacon which comes in many varieties and sizes).

On the whole, it was an inelegant scheme, though, fiddly and probably a bit too complicated. I hope Waitrose aren't just trying to get their margins up. We will notice.
    I didn't find it confusing but couldn't remember what I had chosen so didn't use it....some people seemed to male good savings so its a shame its going

I forgot what mine was too, I thought if I downloaded the app it might help to keep a track of my choices, it didnt happen.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback