Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
    • facade
    • By facade 21st Apr 17, 5:24 PM
    • 3,795 Posts
    • 2,004 Thanks
    facade
    If you give up your job, and sponge off relatives, so as to have zero income, the court assumes £120 a week.

Which would give a cheaper fine than the fixed penalty ticket, so they add a victim surcharge and costs
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 22nd Apr 17, 5:23 AM
    • 4,963 Posts
    • 9,657 Thanks
    I have spoken
    Just another tax on the motorist. Disgusting
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 22nd Apr 17, 6:58 AM
    • 6,243 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Correction, motorists that legally register their car & can be traced.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 22nd Apr 17, 7:36 AM
    • 4,102 Posts
    • 2,566 Thanks
    Car 54
    Correction, motorists that legally register their car & can be traced.
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    Correction, motorists who break the law.
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 22nd Apr 17, 8:05 AM
    • 10,039 Posts
    • 14,881 Thanks
    chucknorris
    I was thinking that a speeding fine would be fixed at about £80, not £2k (even for a minor infraction), that is certainly going to make me much more careful, so it will work (hopefully) on me.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 22nd Apr 17, 9:48 AM
    • 4,509 Posts
    • 5,662 Thanks
    Johno100
    I was thinking that a speeding fine would be fixed at about £80, not £2k (even for a minor infraction), that is certainly going to make me much more careful, so it will work (hopefully) on me.
    Originally posted by chucknorris
    No it's not £2k for a minor infraction.

These increased income based penalties will only apply to those who are summoned to court, so those figures or above on the right of the table. Everyone else, assuming they are willing to accept their guilt, will receive the standard fixed penalty of £100 and 3pts or maybe the offer of a Speed Awareness Course.
    • HornetSaver
    • By HornetSaver 23rd Apr 17, 2:41 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 5,145 Thanks
    HornetSaver
    Originally posted by I have spoken
    No, it's a tax on criminals. Who are disgusting.
    I'm standing by my pre-referendum prediction: "Brexit will lead to a recession"

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70662330
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 23rd Apr 17, 3:16 PM
    • 4,877 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    Possibly the MOST ignored speed limit in the UK is the 60mph limit on dual carriageways for vehicles over 2tonnes GVW and not- "car derived"...

Nemo 70mph
    Doblo 60mph
    ALL proper transits. sprinters, etc...60mph
    Dont worry, be happy
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 23rd Apr 17, 3:46 PM
    • 8,856 Posts
    • 6,883 Thanks
    esuhl
    I'd vote for a lot more taxes on criminals who can afford to pay.

The only reason society needs a police force is because there are criminals who break the law. What fairer way than to tax criminals to pay for their policing? It's a win-win.
    • JohnRo
    • By JohnRo 23rd Apr 17, 11:28 PM
    • 2,746 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    JohnRo
    The sooner we have reliable driverless technology the better. I imagine a few traffic cops might have objections though.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
    • deaston
    • By deaston 24th Apr 17, 8:43 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    deaston
    Speed on it's own rarely causes accidents and it's not even the cause in the majority of accidents that involve death. Police have more worthwhile things to do than enforce stupid speed restrictions.
    Originally posted by phillw
    Do you have a link to the evidence for your statement? I'd be interested to read it as I think speed is a big factor in accidents.

Speed limits factor in road conditions, visibility etc. Not to mention noise pollution for residents and the safety of the public.

By speeding, you're saying that you know better and you getting home earlier is far more important than anyone else's safety or wellbeing. I live in a 30 zone but people regularly go past at 40+ and quite often at speeds that must be close to 60. It makes road noise much more intrusive.
    Last edited by deaston; 24-04-2017 at 8:46 AM.
    • deaston
    • By deaston 24th Apr 17, 8:45 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    deaston
    So driving within the limit is tax evasion...?
    • facade
    • By facade 24th Apr 17, 9:31 AM
    • 3,795 Posts
    • 2,004 Thanks
    facade
    So driving within the limit is tax evasion...?
    Originally posted by deaston

No- tax avoidance.

Tax evasion is against The Law and generally frowned upon, but tax avoidance is encouraged (well, it is if you are rich anyway )
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 24th Apr 17, 9:39 AM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 12,847 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Speed limits factor in road conditions, visibility etc. Not to mention noise pollution for residents and the safety of the public.

Some speed limits may, but others definitely don't. 30 mph dual carriageways in non-residential areas are not neccessary
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 49 lb
    Last updated: 27th November 2018
    • deaston
    • By deaston 24th Apr 17, 10:06 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    deaston
    Some speed limits may, but others definitely don't. 30 mph dual carriageways in non-residential areas are not neccessary
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    So why do they exist?
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 24th Apr 17, 11:04 AM
    • 4,877 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    I like slower......... I save fuel
    Dont worry, be happy
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 24th Apr 17, 1:08 PM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 12,847 Thanks
    kathrynha
    So why do they exist?
    Money from speeding fines at a guess. It's not unusual for police to be on the stretch of road with a camera.

The particular bit of road I'm referring to is the A65 between Viaduct road and the A58 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.8021059,-1.5703381,16z
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 49 lb
    Last updated: 27th November 2018
    • yogsie
    • By yogsie 24th Apr 17, 2:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    yogsie
    I must say it is all very well introducing these fines, but, who will enforce them? Police budgets have been reduced severely, North Wales Police used to be very pro active, and indeed they stand by that statement if you look at their lets say manifesto the Fatal Five.

We need more police on the road to address all of the issues that have been mentioned in this forum, relying on the publics Dash Cam Footage is not enough, i dont see why i should commit my self to putting someone in court, only to find they intend to plead Not Guilty, then i have to take a day off work to support my statement, Im not a policeman!

Fines are fine, but theres little deterent if there is no man power to enforce.
    • jblessing
    • By jblessing 24th Apr 17, 4:02 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    jblessing
    Money from speeding fines at a guess. It's not unusual for police to be on the stretch of road with a camera.

The particular bit of road I'm referring to is the A65 between Viaduct road and the A58 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.8021059,-1.5703381,16z
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    According to http://www.crashmap.co.uk/Search, there were two fatalities on this road since 2014. That is probably the reason
    • jblessing
    • By jblessing 24th Apr 17, 4:09 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    jblessing
    Also worth reading:

http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/publications/road_traffic/world_report/speed_en.pdf

In particular the effect of increasing speed regarding pedestrian fatalities
    Last edited by jblessing; 24-04-2017 at 4:10 PM. Reason: Added ref to pedestrians
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,697Posts Today

6,781Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin