Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 1st Oct 10, 3:52 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: BT and Talk Talk hit millions with price rises
    • 1st Oct 10, 3:52 PM
    MSE News: BT and Talk Talk hit millions with price rises 1st Oct 10 at 3:52 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The home phone giants are today increasing costs for the second time this year ..."

Page 1
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 1st Oct 10, 4:21 PM
    • 13,034 Posts
    • 11,634 Thanks
    savemoney
    • 1st Oct 10, 4:21 PM
    • 1st Oct 10, 4:21 PM
    Yes another increase it was only a few months back it went up
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 1st Oct 10, 4:25 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    • 1st Oct 10, 4:25 PM
    • 1st Oct 10, 4:25 PM
    Getting to be a habit.

1st April and 1st October each year now?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • whatajoke2
    • 1st Oct 10, 4:31 PM
    • 1st Oct 10, 4:31 PM
    Possibly enough there to let those in contract jump ship without penalty.
    • jd87
    • By jd87 1st Oct 10, 4:34 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    jd87
    • 1st Oct 10, 4:34 PM
    But it is also cutting the price of line rental for those who pay up-front, which could mean a 30 a year saving.
    Sorry Guy but I read this to imply that the cost of Line Rental Saver is being cut, which it isn't. It's the same cost it has been for a while (since it began maybe?).

• savemoney
    • By savemoney 1st Oct 10, 4:34 PM
    • 13,034 Posts
    • 11,634 Thanks
    savemoney
    I suppose that will help them pay the staff the inflation busting pay rise (9% over 3 years) but most of all fat cat bonus

I have to contend with below inflation rise like most people
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 1st Oct 10, 5:48 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 1st Oct 10, 5:48 PM
    • 1st Oct 10, 5:48 PM
    I seem to remember a guarantee with TalkTalk that you would never have to pay more for their line rental than you would for BT. Unless I've just made that up, its now possible for BT line rental to be cheaper, so shouldn't TalkTalk be offering that option as well?
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 1st Oct 10, 6:13 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    • 1st Oct 10, 6:13 PM
    • 1st Oct 10, 6:13 PM
    Does anyone know when the reduced early termination fees will be announced blease?
    • ACDeag
    • By ACDeag 1st Oct 10, 8:08 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    ACDeag
    • 1st Oct 10, 8:08 PM
    • 1st Oct 10, 8:08 PM
    Does anyone know when the reduced early termination fees will be announced blease?
    Originally posted by annie-c
    This month for BT and VM

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2010/06/17/cheaper-charges-for-uk-consumers-to-end-phone-contracts-2/
    • eddy
    • By eddy 2nd Oct 10, 10:31 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    eddy
    Please Advise on Changing to the Line Rental Saver
    My BT contract has a minimum term of 18 month, taken to qualify for the reduced installation charge of 29.99.

Can I use the BT line rental increase to exit without charge, to take up the Line Rental Saver (12 month payment up-front for 113.88), without any impact on the installation charge discount of 95 or breaking the terms below?

Also, would the Line Rental Saver requirement of "at least two BT calls per month" apply instead of the current "10 chargeable or inclusive calls per month"? Does the omission of the 'or inclusive' from the Line Saver requirement mean that the two calls must be chargeable?

I tried to change the call plan in my BT online account, but this was refused: Sorry, we can't change your Calling Plan at the moment. Please call us on 0800 800 150 to continue.

Thanks for your advice.

If you decide to end your contract within the minimum term, you will incur a single charge of 7.50 [Presumably now 2] (on the Unlimited Weekend and Unlimited Evening and Weekend plans) or 8.00 (on the Unlimited Anytime Plan) for each month left of the minimum term. Within the minimum term, you may upgrade your Calling Plan, but you cannot downgrade your calling plan except where you are eligible for, and are moving to BT Basic.
    Last edited by eddy; 02-10-2010 at 10:36 AM.
  • Premier
    My BT contract has a minimum term of 18 month, taken to qualify for the reduced installation charge of 29.99.

Can I use the BT line rental increase to exit without charge, to take up the Line Rental Saver (12 month payment up-front for 113.88), without any impact on the installation charge discount of 95 or breaking the terms below?

Also, would the Line Rental Saver requirement of "at least two BT calls per month" apply instead of the current "10 chargeable or inclusive calls per month"? Does the omission of the 'or inclusive' from the Line Saver requirement mean that the two calls must be chargeable?

I tried to change the call plan in my BT online account, but this was refused: Sorry, we can't change your Calling Plan at the moment. Please call us on 0800 800 150 to continue.

Thanks for your advice.

If you decide to end your contract within the minimum term, you will incur a single charge of 7.50 [Presumably now 2] (on the Unlimited Weekend and Unlimited Evening and Weekend plans) or 8.00 (on the Unlimited Anytime Plan) for each month left of the minimum term. Within the minimum term, you may upgrade your Calling Plan, but you cannot downgrade your calling plan except where you are eligible for, and are moving to BT Basic.
    Originally posted by eddy
    I would suggest you don't have to pay any early exit rise from your current contract, whether you opt for Line Rental Saver or not.

I would refer them to terms 25 & 26 of ther own terms and conditions.

http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/panretail/terms/pdfs/bt1050.pdf

I would argue the change does result in a significant disadvantage compared to the terms of the contract you originally agreed.

Even if that is not accepted, a 50p rise on 11.54 is just over 4.3%
    Can't remember the exact rate of annual inflation currently, but didn't think it was that high. Remember too that this is the second increase in one year, so taking into account the previous increase, it'll be sure to bust the current inflation level.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • ddazzler64
    Can I use the BT line rental increase to exit without charge

Thanks for your advice.

Originally posted by eddy
    i did, but you do have to call them.
    it seems the upfront payment is a necessary evil for both us and BT to win
    in order for me to change phone suppliers, i had to have a bt line, but Tx to quidco (and this site for pointing me to them) got 115 cashback for moving so ended up being better off: sadly this bonus is eaten away quickly, unlike the bankers' bonuses i fear…

anyway i digress

good luck
    Last edited by ddazzler64; 06-10-2010 at 7:25 AM. Reason: spelling
  • southendjd
    final bill from bt
    've been given a final bill from bt,after changing to sky,(for tv,broadband& phone,which i had stopped using to save money) They want by 16 dec& i need some advice, as im so worried.
    I'm a housewife with 2 small children& little money coming in& have been with bt approx 9 years,(i was in a contract with them which was to end in nov),& always been good customer,expecting to continue.They had been billing me approx 20-30 a month which was ok.However,a couple of months ago they suddenly hit me with a 150 that they have raised now to 236 in a final bill.
    Of course, I contacted them saying this couldnt be right(at this time i thought the extra charge was due to phonecalls which i knew couldnt be right because i'd not been using phone,& in fact was expecting the bill to be less than normal for that month). They said that i had gone over my megabyte allowance&was being charged for visiting sites like facebook& utube. i was absolutely not aware ever that i even HAD a megabyte limit and still queried with them such a high rise in the bill as there hadnt been any rise in my usage anyway. im still unclear exactly how the bill is broken down despite ringing them many times& went to CAB,but found no real help.i have to go to phonebox every time to ring them and know i cant afford to pay them, least of all by 16 dec.
    I'm getting myself sick worrying about this and would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions from anyone who reads this.
    thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,344Posts Today

8,328Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin